Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Bary Cumann need to **** off

• 24-01-2006 4:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭

Told them in freashers week that Im sorry for joinging last yr, mistake etc but Ive paid the price now F Off.

And they did, I thought, emails and txts stopped, but low and behold a txt today and letter about some agm (dont know how long thats been there since I dont make it home very often;) )

Anyone know how to get in touch with 'em

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Stand outside the arts building at lunch time or some other busy time and shout loudly. I'm sure one of them will be within earshot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

If you asked to be removed from their 'mailing list' and they fail to do so and contact you they are liable for a €3000 fine PER text/mail received by you.(Data Protection Commission). I'm sure the soc have a website where you can get contact details from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Send me your details by PM and I'll have the secretary remove you from the database.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kaptain Redeye
    Stand outside the arts building at lunch time or some other busy time and shout loudly. I'm sure one of them will be within earshot.

That's probably accurate enough. There are a lot of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

They can remove me while they're at it, PM sent. Joined years ago and they still send me stuff. Thanks pigeon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

irlrobins wrote:
    If you asked to be removed from their 'mailing list' and they fail to do so and contact you they are liable for a €3000 fine PER text/mail received by you.(Data Protection Commission). I'm sure the soc have a website where you can get contact details from them.
    Are you SERIOUS???

I repeatedly notified the SWP and SWSS that I was resigning and no longer wanted any communications with them, but they still send me emails/texts/carrier-pigeons regardless.

If your info is correct, their fine should be able to pay for a 3rd LUAS line at this stage...

• Advertisement

yep my info is correct. Check out the website if you need proof to show to the parties concerned.

I think it's an important issue the socs and clubs need to be made aware of. Many of them use email/texts as a method of contacting their members. And it's a very effective method. But they need to be aware of what their responsibilites are in relation to the data they obtain.

A soc passing it's contact details to a third party would be in serious trouble. The resulting fines could ruin the UCD soc system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Would the data protection comissioner not have some sort of discretion in matters?

what do you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

well students, lazy, accident, lenient, spirit are all words that come to mind

Though a society may have been in breach of the act, to shut them down or give them a bill the size of a 3rd worl country isnt that fair

I'd doubt the DPC would proceed with a case against a society, I think most cases get settled out of court so to speak. They'd probably recognise that their efforts would be better directed towards a commercial company.

But still, if socs abuse the data they have to spam students then people will complain and the socs could run the risk of being banned from taking mobile numbers and email addresses by the soc forum.

I think Butler should make all the societys aware of what their responsibilites are as regards direct marketing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Hmm... I wonder if I could use this to get bloody Bondi, The Ivy and D2 to stop sending me those annoying texts that I never signed up for!

yep. I was getting texts from the Icon nightclub in Limerick. I've never even been to fúcking limerick (Sorry Panda).

Anyway contacted the bar and asked them to stop texting me. They kept coming so made a complaint to DPC. Texts stopped after that!

Advertisement