Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Internet connection sharing.

• 24-01-2006 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 3MB NTL line.
    I don't have a router, just that NTL blue see through modem thing that stands on it's side.

I have my PC connected to it with a Ntwrok cable.
    I want to connect my work laptop to it aswell, there is 2 ethernet jacks at the back of the modem.

How do i get my laptop and my PC working through the modem at the same time? Do i have to do something to share the connection? OR is it nor possible.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭keyran

You will only be able to connect one computer at a time to the Modem because it only assigns one IP address. You would need to use something else like a router

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i hav ICS at home.

i hav the main PC hooked up to the net, then i have the other PC hooked up to the main PC, and it gets online like that. only prob is that the main PC needs to be on to get the internet working on the other PC. and zonealarm has to be turned off too, even tho i have PRO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

ok so i have 2 machines say. one is connected to the net. How do i connect the other one to the net then? ICS?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

yep. its easy on XP. just go to the network setup wizard and pick the option that "this pc is connected to the net and other computers connect thru this one" and hey presto!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Bartonprince

do i need a router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

ok so i have 2 machines say. one is connected to the net. How do i connect the other one to the net then? ICS?

Did you click on the click I posted above? Read it, it tells you how to do it.

Advertisement