Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

possible broadband problem

• 24-01-2006 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Just received eircom broadband (time option) and instead of receiving a router I received a usb modem!! I already own a router and was wondering if i could share out the connection with the router if i purchase a USB to Ethernet adaptor/convertor. I dont really want to share out the connection through pc? Anyone know if this works???:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

No. The USB/ethernet adapters won't work because the modem you were supplied with does not have an external power supply. It is powered through the USB port on the PC. This also ensures that the modem is switched off when you shut down your PC and you don't go over your 20 hours accidently.
    If you do share it out through the PC bear in mind that the PC or router will keep the connection alive and eat up the 20 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭alastair_doom

also make sure your PC powers off your USB ports when your shut it down!
    mine doesnt :)

Advertisement