Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am i being Ripped off?

Options
  • 24-01-2006 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi All,
    Maybe some panel person / crash repair person will be able to answer this. basically my car was broken into a peugeot 206 someone stuck something small and round in beside the lock, the lock is working fine.
    I am wondering if anyone has any idea without seeing this how much it would cost to repair without having to get a new door. I have got a quote froma crash repair shop and it seems outrageous, i am unwilling to go through insurance as they said i will loose no claims, im just wondering am i being ripped off just cos im a girl havent a clue etc. i know i should go shop around but this one is close to work and i dont really have time.
    basically the quote is the "fill the area from behind and respray the door only.
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

How can we tell if you're being ripped off, without knowing what you were quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd guess that to repair and repaint the door to a good standard would cost you around E350?

Anan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

well if its just dented (not too much now i.e an inch in depth) its fixable.

however if the metal is teared, you'll need a new door.

to get it done in a independent garage repair the door 450E
    replace the door 700+E

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

Got quoted recently for a repair to my door...main dealers insisted on replacing it at €1,100 so I got a back street panel beater who did it for €250 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 surfin

Hi All,
    Thank you for replies.
    Unkel i didnt want to post the amount before because i wanted an independent thought.
    Anyway, the quote was originally €900 to fix the existing door the hole is about 1/2 inch square, and he said he is going to fill it from behind and then just spray the upper panel (above the decal) on the door, so thats why i thought the quote was massive.
    My brother has taken my car to someone else today for a quote, i'm hoping it will be less.
    Thanks for the help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

Gotten a quote from a friend on something like this, except I think mine will take a few more days to do... The following has to be done:

- Dent and paint repair front right
    - Dent repair back left behind door
    - Total compound/paint repair where spoiler hit sides of the boot
    - Sanding down of spoiler and repaint to avoid hitting off of boot
    - Sideskirt repair (broken where screw holding it on to car)
    - Small hole on sideskirt on other side of car

Quote : €150 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Thats is an insane quote, the exact same happened when some scum bgs wanted the stereo from my alfa, they put a small hole beside the door handle, I hat it repaired, I forget the price but it was around 200 euro (non dublin prices).
    surfin wrote:
    Hi All,
    Thank you for replies.
    Unkel i didnt want to post the amount before because i wanted an independent thought.
    Anyway, the quote was originally €900 to fix the existing door the hole is about 1/2 inch square, and he said he is going to fill it from behind and then just spray the upper panel (above the decal) on the door, so thats why i thought the quote was massive.
    My brother has taken my car to someone else today for a quote, i'm hoping it will be less.
    Thanks for the help!

It's definately a rip off. I just recently fixed the sunroof on my car. It cost me €2.56, I'm pretty sure they would have charged hundreds to fix it at a garage..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 surfin

Wolverine I think you should come fix my car!!! do u happen to look anything like Hugh Jackman!
    Sorry, update in all seriousness. Just let u all know my Bro just called me there and he got a quote for €250 and another of €350 from two different crash repair places, so it does pay to shop around!!
    Thank you for replies.

wow that's a huge improvement. I'd nearly report the other guy who gave you the quote for €900 to some regulatory body, (not sure which one!), for ridiculously overpriced services..

• Advertisement
Advertisement