Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied Maths

• 24-01-2006 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

What is it?

Does it have an exam for itself and how long is the course?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

Yes, It is an exam itself, two hours or two hours and a half (not sure).
    It's usually on at the end of June.
    It is usually described as a cross between Physics and Maths. Some people say it improves your Physics, others, vice versa.
    It has a very high percentage of A's and B's and therefore is perceived by some as easy to get points in, but this may be due to a lot of talented students picking the subject (outside school, a lot of the time).
    Sixth year students or repeat students can finish the course in a year, but I would advise you to do it over two years.
    Some of the main topics are: Vectors, Accelerated Linear Motion, Forces, Differentiation, Statics, Hydrostatics etc.
    There is a lot of choice in the exam:
    • You only have to answer six out of the ten questions (most people do 7)
    • Each question is the same section of the course, every year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Yes, It is an exam itself, two hours or two hours and a half (not sure).
    2 and a half hours iirc.
    It is usually described as a cross between Physics and Maths. Some people say it improves your Physics, others, vice versa.
    I found it improved both... you get very well practised from doing so much calculation!
    • You only have to answer six out of the ten questions (most people do 7)
    We did 9 in a year.. I answered 8 in the exam (4 years ago...). It's an incredibly predictable exam, so working from the exam papers is invaluable.
    Also, if you go on to do any sort of physics or engineering course at college, it really helps with 1st year mechanics courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

2 and a half hours iirc.

I found it improved both... you get very well practised from doing so much calculation!

We did 9 in a year.. I answered 8 in the exam (4 years ago...). It's an incredibly predictable exam, so working from the exam papers is invaluable.
    Also, if you go on to do any sort of physics or engineering course at college, it really helps with 1st year mechanics courses.

ya...we r doin 9 question in this year though.....(the teacher leave the hydrostatic.....)........and we r goin to answer at least 6 question in the exam....^^

It's an incredibly predictable exam,working from the exam papers is invaluable???as soon as it is a predictable exam,y is it working from the pass year exam papers is invalueble????

Invaluable does not mean the opposite of valuable, rather it means more valuable than you can measure (very valuable).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

^lol :P

So do you advise doing it then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

if you're doing it as an extra subject then you've nothing to loose. Start in fifth Year so worst case scenario you drop it in 6th and your maths is a bit better than it would have been.

X-SL wrote:
    ^lol :P

So do you advise doing it then?
    If you like maths, then definitely. Because if you're good at it, it's a lot easier to do well in than a lot of other subjects.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Definitely. It's an invaluable subject to take to college.

Yes I'd definitely recommend it, if you are good at maths.
    Very interesting and fairly easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭X-SL

Cool, so what places in the south of Dublin offer it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Rnger

The institute teach it, and they teach it excellently.

Last year applied maths was the very last exam on the whole timetable. As a result, I left as soon as I finished 6 questions without even looking over them (just under an hour left)! The thought of just dropping the pen and saying **** YOU LEAVING CERT was just too strong. A C1 was my punishment.

I would still highly reccomend doing this subject. It greatly improved my maths. I was less likely to do those stupid blunders (forget to carry the 1 etc.)

Ashfield does it too, that's where I took it 4 years ago. They teach it as a 1-year course, mostly designed for repeats. There's 2 classes a week, when I did it the classes were 4.30-6pm, Tuesday and Thursday. They cover 9 questions from the paper, which gives you plenty of choice on the day.

Yeah, the course is pretty short, people who do it in school get so much practice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 jaspersmiley

This is to people who are currently taking this subject for their Leaving.
    Is it possible to do the entire course in one year and get an A at higher level? Especially if you're doign Honours Maths and Physics?

Is it possible to do the entire course in one year and get an A at higher level? Especially if you're doign Honours Maths and Physics?

i think i can be.......depends on how smart u r:D

Rnger wrote:
    The institute teach it, and they teach it excellently.

Last year applied maths was the very last exam on the whole timetable. As a result, I left as soon as I finished 6 questions without even looking over them (just under an hour left)! The thought of just dropping the pen and saying **** YOU LEAVING CERT was just too strong. A C1 was my punishment.

I would still highly reccomend doing this subject. It greatly improved my maths. I was less likely to do those stupid blunders (forget to carry the 1 etc.)

ya...i m taking my saturday course there....Oliver Murphy....our teacher^^....the guy who wrote the text book(brown).....no doubt......the best course in the institute......

Invaluable does not mean the opposite of valuable, rather it means more valuable than you can measure (very valuable).

^^lll........sorry dude........my english is not tat good........as a foreigner......:p

*points to self*
    I did it in 1 year, 4 years ago for the LC and I got A1's in HL Maths, Applied Maths and Physics. So yeah, it's possible. It will be a lot of work though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

think its a great subject much prefer it to maths aswell find it easy to get through with the course being so short and its interesting as well and it acctually has something to do with what your doing in college so theres some point to it.

we do it in our school and have a great teacher and small class its really easy to get a c in and if your smart a b or a shouldnt be a problem with a reasonable amount of work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭Shelga

I'm currently in 6th yr, studying applied maths...I have a love/hate relationship with the subject. It can be so frustrating at times, but then when you get the right answer it makes you so happy! I do it in school, we've just finished the course, the mock is in 2 weeks. I'm a bit worried but I am cautiously saying that I will be OK for the Leaving because we'll just be revising in class for the rest of the year.

The mocks don't mean ANYTHING...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

My applied maths mock is tomorrow, has anyone seen the paper yet and what's it like? I'm worried about applied maths, so much to go over!

Shelga wrote:
    The mocks don't mean ANYTHING...?
    The idea of the mocks is to scare you, and to tell you what you need to revise.

Advertisement