Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best(Cheapest) insurance?

Options
  • 24-01-2006 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a car, probably a BMW 3(E30 or 36) 1.6-2.0

I don't know which insurer to go with?

I have a provisional license, but I'm interested in both full and provisional license prices.

Can anyone please advice me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

CyberGhost wrote:
    Hi,

I have a provisional license, but I'm interested in both full and provisional license prices.

For a start, check out the Insurance Companies sticky. The best company for one person, may not be the best company for another. If you are a male under 25, then Quinn Direct may be the best company for you, where it may not be for a 40 year male with a full license.

I found the best thing to do is block a couple of hours, and sit down with the golden pages and ring every single company and broker out there.

Have you been driving a while? I only ask because I doubt a 2.0 rear wheel drive saloon is the best type of car to learn in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Well I know how to drive, I've been driving for a long time(not regularly of course but I can handle a car)

I had a look on at the sticky, and seems like Quinn Direct or BrittonInsurance is the one I need.

btw I'm,

male
    provisional license

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, to see if there's much difference in price between having a full and provisional license. It there is, I guess I'll wait a year(it takes so long) and hopefully will pass my test.

CyberGhost wrote:
    Well I know how to drive, I've been driving for a long time(not regularly of course but I can handle a car)

Fair enough, was just a thought
    CyberGhost wrote:
    I had a look on at the sticky, and seems like Quinn Direct or BrittonInsurance is the one I need.

btw I'm,

male
    provisional license

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow, to see if there's much difference in price between having a full and provisional license. It there is, I guess I'll wait a year(it takes so long) and hopefully will pass my test.

Wow - I had to wait till I was 22 just to get a quote under IE£2,500 on a 1 litre engine, premiums must seriously be dropping if you can get insured on a 2litre BMW at 20 years old!

eoin_s wrote:
    Wow - I had to wait till I was 22 just to get a quote under IE£2,500 on a 1 litre engine, premiums must seriously be dropping if you can get insured on a 2litre BMW at 20 years old!

Oh man, that scares me :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

CyberGhost wrote:

If you have a year's cover without a claim on a provisional it will probably be worth more than having a full licence and starting from scratch.

• Advertisement

Litcagral wrote:
    If you have a year's cover without a claim on a provisional it will probably be worth more than having a full licence and starting from scratch.

:(

btw, are Quinn and Britton the recommended ones over 26?(I'm not talking about 40 or anything:) ) or is there someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

id say the insurance company your getting will rape you for insurance, considering im 20 this year and have a 1.4 206 and im paying €2600, and im on a second provisional, waiting for a driving test in a couple of months.

Sparky, who is your insurer?

I think I'll simply get a weaker car for now, like Toyota or a Honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

CyberGhost wrote:
    Sparky, who is your insurer?

I think I'll simply get a weaker car for now, like Toyota or a Honda.

went with a broker http://www.oreillycullen.com/ who is going through asgard at llyods.

Granted now mine is commercial insurance, but private is around the same mark, because its a car/van.

Like said above, ring everywhere, i spent 3 days on ringing around and i got various quotes from €4000, €3800, €3400 and €3000, the lad that quoted €3000 was www.mikemurphyinsurance.ie

Good luck ;)

K guys, tomorrow I'll get to it :)

Thanks for your help dudes :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, but I highly doubt you will even get a quote on a 2.0l BMW at your age with a provisional licence. If they do quote you, it will be something rediculous, so unless you are very rich, the best idea would be to get a small car, keep it until you pass your test, and then upgrade to a bigger car when you get your full licence. I would recommend a 1995 vw polo or nissan micra to tide you over. Theyre not the best cars in the world but the cheapest to buy, run, and insure.

I asked for a quote on a 1.8l vw passat and they refused to quote me, given that I was under 25, even though I had a full licence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

CyberGhost wrote:
    Hi,

Hey man. Good cars those yokes. You can do the hibernian ignition yokey with a 316i. They extended it to 1.6 litre AFAIK.
    Never mind all the "tut tut, 20 year old with a 2litre rear wheel drive..." type stuff from these guys, sure it'll be more expensive but if you really like the cars and that's what you want to be drivin then go for it if you can afford it.
    You actually CAN insure a 320i at your age. One lad that lives beside my GF's house has a '88 320i 2door which he insured on wih a provisional licence. costs him a little over 5 grand but it's better that driving a piece of sh1t micra/peugeot/saxo/corsa/punto any day.

He lives out in the middle of nowhere though so he's less of a fire or theft risk to them. He said the other day he started on a 316i and it was only 1800 euro cheaper, which is odd seeong as 1.6 and 2 litre bmw'a are worlds apart in terms of speed/power etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm €1800 on a VW Passat 1.6L Petrol. Quinn Direct quoted me that and Eagle Star matched it.

I'm 22 male on first provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Thats true!

You`ll be robbed on insurance. Dont pay anymore than 3grand on your 1st policy.

Con_316 wrote:
    Hey man. Good cars those yokes. You can do the hibernian ignition yokey with a 316i. They extended it to 1.6 litre AFAIK.
    Never mind all the "tut tut, 20 year old with a 2litre rear wheel drive..." type stuff from these guys, sure it'll be more expensive but if you really like the cars and that's what you want to be drivin then go for it if you can afford it.
    You actually CAN insure a 320i at your age. One lad that lives beside my GF's house has a '88 320i 2door which he insured on wih a provisional licence. costs him a little over 5 grand but it's better that driving a piece of sh1t micra/peugeot/saxo/corsa/punto any day.

He lives out in the middle of nowhere though so he's less of a fire or theft risk to them. He said the other day he started on a 316i and it was only 1800 euro cheaper, which is odd seeong as 1.6 and 2 litre bmw'a are worlds apart in terms of speed/power etc.

:eek: 5K a year? If the 1.6 litre engine was €1800 cheaper, then presumably a one litre engine could be the same amount cheaper again? Sounds like absolutely ridiculous money to spend on insurance.

BTW, the cost of driving a 2 litre BMW is not the only thing that an unlicensed 20 year old should be worried about. I don't know the OP's situation at all, and he could very well be a very competent driver, but it does sound like a lot of car to be starting off in. Just because you can afford to drive a powerful RWD car, doesn't mean you should.

eoin_s wrote:
    Just because you can afford to drive a powerful RWD car, doesn't mean you should.

Looks like I can't even afford it :/

What do you guys think of Honda Civic? 1993-1995? with maybe 1.3-1.5 motor?
    or Toyota Corolla E10 model? or Starlet P8?

I don't really like Nissan or WV(well I like Golf, but not Polo tbh)

Advertisement