Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart to upgrade BB speed ??

• 24-01-2006 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭

I was on to Smart today with a slight BB related query,after I got it sorted I asked the techy if there were any upgrades planned ala Eircom/BT after the 6mb/512 service stops on the 15TH of Feb,he told me that the plan as far as he knows is to up the standard package to 3mb/256 but not to "quote" him on that....no problem I says :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Is that it? Hardly as impressive as I expected I would have though they would have tried a layering of packages i.e. 2Mb for €20 4Mb €35 6Mb €50 - to have the same spread (but superior of course) as the other main ISPs. What a lack of vision. After all everyone has been running 6Mb for the last while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭GarfieldConnoll

Is that it? Hardly as impressive as I expected I would have though they would have tried a layering of packages i.e. 2Mb for €20 4Mb €35 6Mb €50 - to have the same spread (but superior of course) as the other main ISPs. What a lack of vision. After all everyone has been running 6Mb for the last while.
    OCG,

That's probably why he asked not to be quoted on it. No announcement has been made.

Garfield.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is incredible to be criticising a company based on total hearsay and even then that hearsay is a breach of confidence in a sort of way!!

To accuse Smart of alll companies of a lack of vision is amazing!!! So they are now to be criticised because they gave people the opportunity to experience 6mb? If that's the attitude then why should companies stick their necks out in the future? Talk bout being damned if you do and damned if you dont!!!!!!!!

dub45 wrote:
    It is incredible to be criticising a company based on total hearsay and even then that hearsay is a breach of confidence in a sort of way!!
    Well you must take into account that I was responding to the rumor that was posted. I don't consider that a Smart announcement. I don't know what packages Smart will roll out and if they only do what Legion claims then I'd be disappointed and surprised. If you actually read my post you would see that I expect better from Smart.

Well you must take into account that I was responding to the rumor that was posted. I don't consider that a Smart announcement. I don't know what packages Smart will roll out and if they only do what Legion claims then I'd be disappointed and surprised. If you actually read my post you would see that I expect better from Smart.

Your post gave no indication that you even acknowledged there was a rumour invovled -
    Is that it? Hardly as impressive as I expected...........

What is the point in responding to a rumor? Not alone did you respond to a rumor but you then went on to criticise a company solely on that totally baseless rumor. You dont see anything wrong with criticising a company or accusing it of a lack of vision solely on the basis of a rumour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Well at approx 11 euro a month (if you take line rental into consideration) you cant fault them.

They have caused eircom and the other to better their offerings, and have changed everyones broadband experience for the better, with their current offereing.

3meg would be great, but garfield if your monitoring response, please keep the 512 down!

X

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Well, I only mentioned the standard package,thats not to say smart will have other packages available,I was only told about the standard one.

If its 3mb/256 fine,its still a damn good service for the price,but would be nice if it was 512 up :)

But...as mentioned tis all just rumor.

Legion wrote:
    Well, I only mentioned the standard package,thats not to say smart will have other packages available,I was only told about the standard one.

If its 3mb/256 fine,its still a damn good service for the price,but would be nice if it was 512 up :)

But...as mentioned tis all just rumor.

A rumour that you initiated on here and were asked not to repeat:rolleyes:
    but not to "quote" him on that....no problem I says

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

In fairness boards.ie (And especially the broadband forum! :) ) runs on rumours and conjecture, itd be awfully boring without them no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Do you think? Endless speculation, misinformation, arguments about speculation, etc, tend to get ever so slightly tedious after a while.

Smart rocks. But let's see some real speeds this time around, please. And perhaps service in my exchange, but I doubt that will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Blaster99 wrote:
    And perhaps service in my exchange, but I doubt that will happen.

They have a "trigger program". I'm signed up for it. :) Would love to give smart my money.

dub45 wrote:
    A rumour that you initiated on here and were asked not to repeat:rolleyes:

So,somebody tells you something and your told " not to tell anyone or dont quote me on that" are you telling me you have never past on the info to your wife/gf/bf/family member etc.???

As Snaga said this whole board runs on rumours and conjecture most of the time,just go back over some of the eircom or NTL upgrade threads and im sure you'll find someone that said " a mate who works in eircom told me or the NTL engineer said ".

Get of your high horse mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 CorporalCarrot

Folks

I'm late to the thread so sorry if this is a duh! answer but just for information I have just gone live with smart and this is what my router set up screen is saying;

Connection Status Connected
    Upstream Rate (Kbps) 608
    Downstream Rate (Kbps) 7072
    US Margin 15
    DS Margin 16
    Modulation MMODE
    LOS Errors 0
    DS Line Attenuation 32
    US Line Attenuation 21
    Path Mode Interleaved

I am on the standard package.

Thanks

C

dub45 wrote:
    Your post gave no indication that you even acknowledged there was a rumour invovled
    It was clearly stated in the OP; you may have difficulty understanding what's written but I don't. That's why I don't bother repeating what was written by the OP. As I've already said I would have been surprised if that's all that Smart comes up with I though and still do that they would a lot better then that.
    dub45 wrote:
    What is the point in responding to a rumor? Not alone did you respond to a rumor but you then went on to criticise a company solely on that totally baseless rumor. You dont see anything wrong with criticising a company or accusing it of a lack of vision solely on the basis of a rumour?
    This is a public forum. As has already been pointed out above by others we often discuss rumors; no one is complaining in the NTL upgrades thread or before our upgrades where verified or for the last set of upgrades. They maybe only rumors but many of us are interested in them even if they are wrong; if you're not then don't read these type of threads.
    Legion wrote:
    Get of your high horse mate.
    Sage advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Legion wrote:
    So,somebody tells you something and your told " not to tell anyone or dont quote me on that" are you telling me you have never past on the info to your wife/gf/bf/family member etc.???

Do you consider us all your wife/gf/bf/family member? :D

A public forum and a close frend are VERY different things.

Celebrity: Don't tell anyone about 'scandal'
    Other person: Ok <runs off to tell media>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

I'd say there would still be a market for people wishing to have 512/512 at a very resonable price. Its a wonder no telco has thought of keeping that on instead of upgrading everyone. A lot of people dont really want to pay the €30+ for broadband but want something quicker than a modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Maskhadov wrote:
    I'd say there would still be a market for people wishing to have 512/512 at a very resonable price. Its a wonder no telco has thought of keeping that on instead of upgrading everyone. A lot of people dont really want to pay the €30+ for broadband but want something quicker than a modem.

512/128 even 512/64 for a tenner would have loads of people switching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

It would be nice if Smart kept the 6Mb but tbh i'm not massively bothered because even at 2Mb their service is vastly superior to any other ISP i've used, it's fast, the pings are great, no caps, they don't block ports *COUGH*Clearwire*COUGH* and their tech support and customer service people are really great.

This is what makes Smart the best ISP, not just the speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭digitalninja

Legion wrote:
    I was on to Smart today with a slight BB related query,after I got it sorted I asked the techy if there were any upgrades planned ala Eircom/BT after the 6mb/512 service stops on the 15TH of Feb,he told me that the plan as far as he knows is to up the standard package to 3mb/256 but not to "quote" him on that....no problem I says :)

They also told me that a 2mb/2mb service would be offered for gamers (which is impossible on adsl2).
    Don't listen to the customer support guys, they havn't a clue.

paulm17781 wrote:
    Do you consider us all your wife/gf/bf/family member? :D
    I do indeed ;)
    paulm17781 wrote:
    A public forum and a close frend are VERY different things.
    True..so the close friend tells a close friend who tells..blah etc
    the public forum and the close friend suddenly become very similar. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement