Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas alarm from Lidl?

Options
  • 24-01-2006 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi all,

Lidl are selling a Gas Alarm that - "Detects most types of gas"

It vary vage... any idea if it will detect Natural Gas??
    It's retailing for 14.99

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060130.p.Gas

thanks

pan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i know that carbon monoxide detectors are readily available but i understood from a recent post here that natural gas detectors were expensive and mainly sold for industrial/commercial usebut i'm open to correction on this

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

I hope it's well shielded,TBH :o

It looks very much like this:

... 240V/12V Gas Leakage Alarm

Detects propane, butane and methane which are components of natural gas. Emits 85dB(A) alarm when gas is detected. Test and reset button. Supplied complete with wall/ceiling mounting bracket and fixing screws. Powered by either a 230V AC adaptor and 1.75M (approx.) of cable with stripped ends or 12V car cigarette lighter plug and 1M (approx.) of cable with stripped ends. Display packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Pan, it looks like its just a natural gas type detector. When they say it will detect most types of gases, it means like Karoma says, either propane, methane or butane.

Natural gas can be supplied in all these variants, almost all identical but have slightly different LEL's. (Lower explosive limits)

Unless it has another cell installed in it for CO detction, I wouldn't be taking its advice that it can monitor for this also.

The electrochemical cell technology for detecting flammable gases as opposed to toxic gases like CO is very different and hence they cannot use the same cell for monitoring.

For that price, its a very cheap basic model.

I work for Honeywell and we install industrial Natural Gas & CO monitors on a daily basis here in Ireland and any of our units we manufacture for home use (SF Detection range) would be min €50 for CO detection.

I'm not sure how you could test it without bump testing it with some gas.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

To save starting anohter thread, what woudl opinions be on the 6kg Extinguisher?
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060130.p.6Kg

It's €19.99, would that be a good price for a 6kg extinguisher?

byte wrote:
    To save starting anohter thread, what woudl opinions be on the 6kg Extinguisher?
    http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060130.p.6Kg

It's €19.99, would that be a good price for a 6kg extinguisher?
    Well, you can't have enough fire extinguishers.....I nearly paid that price for the 1kg ones in Argos...I might just look at one of them myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Thanks guys for the informed reply's

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Just to update ya all!

I bought it last night, and tested it with the gas from a lighter (as the instructions suggested) Also tested it with the Gas cooker (Natural Gas) and it worked after a few seonds.

So, Happy enough with it, Of course it's a cheapest product, so not going to depend on it or anything, but still a nice aid to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I bought one of the smaller fire extuingishers the last time they had them in for use in my workshop/shed. They're made in Belgium by "Delta Instinctors SA" in Brussels.

pan wrote:
    so not going to depend on it or anything
    So what are you using then for detection if you're not going to depend on it?

If its got a CE mark then it should be good for 5yrs. Most flammable sensors have a operational lifetime of 5 yrs if tested every 6 months. I would suggest you do this.

Advertisement