Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starter Pistol

Options
  • 24-01-2006 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

i am training my dog and am at the stage of dropping to shot does anyone know where i can buy a starter pistol or is it that simple?do i need a licence as well

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭hillybilly

You will have to get a permit from your local super ,Its not an actual liscence.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

can 6mm blanks work in a starter pistol that is .22

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Yes.

if thats the case what is the difference or is there any?

None worth talking about. Few tenths of a milimeter.

• Advertisement

if i ordered one on cabelas website would i receive it,it hasnt a barel so wheres the harm?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

if i ordered one on cabelas website would i receive it,it hasnt a barel so wheres the harm?

I'm sure you still need to get a permit for it...best thing to do is to speak with a superintendent in a garda station, if you know one then your half way there I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

scorphonic wrote:
    I'm sure you still need to get a permit for it...
    And Cabelas won't ship that sort of thing overseas anyhow.

There's a lot of confusion about starter pistols. The Firearms Acts allow for the possession of a firearm to be used with blank ammunition for the purpose of starting athletic events (not training dogs). A firearm held under those circumstances would be held under an authorisation letter from your local superintendent.

The thing is that most "starter pistols" aren't firearms as defined by the Firearms Acts at all. They don't need licences or authorisations. Most of the hassles come down to the blank ammo, which probably does come under the Firearms Act (I'm not sure where the disctinction between blank cartridges and toy gun caps lies tbh). In order to stay on the safe side, most dealers wont sell a starter pistol to someone unless they have a letter from their super.

Bear in mind I'm not a lawyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Hi,

Get in touch with ardee sports company in Co. Louth. They import 8mm blank fire replica pistols. They sell them without licence/permit/letter. will also do the same with the ammo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement