Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dont know what else 2 do??

• 24-01-2006 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

recently i ave stopped drinkin and takin drugs, i find it hard though, im 18 and lived in dundalk all my life, i find myself bored all the time, and can't have fun without being under some form of influence, im trying hard to stop but i dont know what else to do on a weekend in dundalk, ive joined a gym and was thinking of playing for a GAA team, just wondering if anyone has any other ideas? it would help me a lot

Also im beginning to worry about the state of my brain,liver,lungs after years of abuse, here is a list of my old habits have i done any major damage?

13 - drank up to 10cans a weekend, every weekendm smoked hashish sometimes
    14 - drank up to 12 cans a weekend,every weekend,also smoked hashish regularly,used cocaine and towards the end started using E
    15 - drank up to 12 cans a weekend, every weekend, used E heavily nearly every week, used coke often and used hashish but stopped towards end of yr
    16 - stopped using hash,E and rarely used coke but started drinkin up to 18 cans a weekend, most weekends i also started smoking on the weekend wen i was drunk
    17 - started to drink only once a week to cut back but would drink up to 14 cans in the one night, started smoking a pack a day, and began using coke more frequently.

tanx for ur time

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

If you found that you can't have fun without being under the influence of something, then it's time to find something that *is* fun or new people to hang out with.
    I usen't see the point of going out without getting wasted in some form or other, but i've since curbed my drinking drastically & if i'm going to do anything else I make sure that i only do it rarely & make sure that it's not every time i go out or want to unwind.

Truth is you probably have done damage to your body, but you're young & have plenty of time to rectify some of the damage done.
    You're lucky.

If you can't have fun without being in someway intoxicated, then find something new to do. GAA is a good idea, you'll meet new people & as most of them'll be new to you, you can actually converse with them raher than being so bored of the conversation that you have to divert your attention in other ways.

You'll be fine, you've make a good, healthy decision.
    Keep up with it!

Ps. The other night I actually went out & stuck to soft drinks all night! Strange but true! The people i was with were interesting & i was interested in getting to know them that I didn't need to get wasted to enjoy myself. This is a huge change from a few years ago. Am super-proud of me! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

You are still quite young, and the liver is one of the only organs that can repair itself, so don't get too hung up about it. I know some former heroin addicts who have made more or less a full recovery. Try to get into sport. It not only gives you something to do, it makes you care about being fit. I do a bit of karate, and love the buzz I get from sparring. I also played football and hurling, and loved it.

Not sure if you still drink at all now, but if you do, can I give some advice to help cut down:
    try go to pubs with an older crowd, instead of nightclubs, which are full of people drinking way too much and doing shots etc.
    I used to drink quite a bit, but now, when I do drink, I won't drink shorts, or cocktails etc. I enjoy going for a few pints, watching the racing or a match. I also enjoy reading the paper, having a quiet pint after karate training, so I don't go overboard.

Hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭cheekyass

DundalkLad wrote:
    ive joined a gym and was thinking of playing for a GAA team

I think that you shoud walk before you run so to speak, these are both great ideas and will improve your general heath, but dont take on too much to start off.

:) Best of Luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 smileykate

Im 18 too and it amazing that your mature enough to firstly realise you had to stop and secondly doing it! After reading your thread Iv started to think, and looking back it has been so long since Iv gone out and not got wasted!! It seems though that almost everything revolves around drink with me and my friends!

Joining gaa seems like a real good idea, you'l have something new to focus on, aswell as meeting new people! Theres nothing wrong with drinking in moderation and as long as you dont depend on it! I find it very hard to go out without drinking too, i feel boring and kinda out of place, with me its alot got to do with confidience, or a lack of it, but i think its a matter of getting used to it and just enjoying myself!!

Goodluck and fair play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Agrees with Cheeky. Try to change too much in one go and you risk getting fed up with the lot and reverting back to your old ways. Like the Boots ad says "change one thing", it's a sensible slogan.

Personally when I don't go out on a weekend I replace it with going to a late cinema showing with mates cos movie doesn't start till 11ish and ends at 1ish so night out is not an option or I read or get a dvd. But in the end it needs to be something you yourself enjoy cos I personally can take or leave drink/nights out easily.

As someone else said above try forcing yourself to alternate your drinks when you do go out. Go with a beer then a soft drink. Try to actively pace yourself as well. It's not that hard and maybe try going out later so you have less time to drink.

But don't take too much on dammit, your young, going out on a weekend is still a novelty which will start wearing out by about 20 when your body starts crapping out over the hangovers. Enjoy yourself but don't kill yourself while you're at it.

EDIT: Some of the biggest drinking fools I know belong to the gaa by the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Exon

I was like you man, proberly worse. I've cut down to drink and the odd bit off coke because I usually get the coke for free. :) I'm 18 aswell, by the way has the abuse had any effect on your mind? I've paranoid as **** from it! :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, you probably have done some pretty serious damage. 5 years of drinking heavily and drug abuse, and you're only 18 now. But hopefully you've caught yourself in time. At the very least, stay AWAY from drugs and moderate your alcohol intake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Fair play to you for getting out, it's **** hard to do!!

Get involved in some clubs and stuff is a good idea, this is one of the reasons my Dad used to coach GAA, he said it was one of the few cheap things kids could do that was actually good for them and kept them away from drug/drink/smoking.

What are you interests in? Whats your plan for the future?

With regard to what damage you have done, I'd suggest going to a doctor for a full medical, he should also be able to help with any withdrawal problems, etc, will give you the reassurance you need, hopefully.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Faith wrote:
    Yeah, you probably have done some pretty serious damage.
    Meh unlikley TBH. You were binge drinking for a start so your liver had some chance to recover between bouts. Consistent drinking would be far more dangerous. Also you're young so bodily insults while not welcome would be raf easier for your body to repair. Drugs like E would be more worrying for your mental health, but as you've knocked that on the head as well, I wouldn't be too worried.

Regardless, let me say fair f*cks to you for turning it around.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

Faith wrote:
    At the very least, stay AWAY from drugs and moderate your alcohol intake!
    i'd say stay away from drink and moderate your drug intake. stay away from coke altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I lived up in dundalk for 3 years while I was in college.
    It is one of the most country type towns I have been in that is that close to dublin.
    Many people never leave there, never make the push for a better job or life if it means leaving the town.
    Many people who's lives are getting through the week and getting off thier heads with what ever at the weekends and there is always 'stuff' advailible up there.

Congratulations on deciding you want more then that for yourself.
    Now it is your life what are you going to do with it ?
    Do you dare to dream ?

You have already said you are going to get fit and you are going to save a lot of money that you were spending on drink and drugs.
    Pick a dream, a goal and go about making it come true for yourself.
    Follow where it leads you.

Your own soberity is a wonderfull gift and to have gotten to it at this age and wanting to make more of yourself means you have many years to look forward to achieving things.
    There is nothing you can't do it you want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Thaedyal i agree, ive lived in Dundalk all my life too, and only for doing this year abroad, prob would never have ventured away. im glad i have cos its given me the initiative to travel more. but it def is a place where you can easily get stuck in a rut.

Advertisement