Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govinda's Abbey st.

• 24-01-2006 6:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

(dublin)
    Notice that's it's now changed to self-service, similar to the southside outlet.

The location is a bit quiet, even though it's very central, Middle Abbey st. still does not attract a huge crowd of people. Pity really as the quality of the food seems to have improved since it opened not so long ago (not that it wasn't any good then).

Their minty lemonades were fab as well but I don't think they're being served anymore :( (lemonade with fresh finely chopped mint leaves). Mmmm minty soft drinks :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ooo- never had their lemonade- but god their food is delicious. I'm thinking about going to one of their cookery courses during the summer. It'll be wierd not tasting food while cooking though, but the experience is meant to be brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Doctor Benway

The lime drink they do is fantastic. Also, the Paneer cheese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Spicy Lauren

Shabadu wrote:
    Ooo- never had their lemonade- but god their food is delicious. I'm thinking about going to one of their cookery courses during the summer. It'll be wierd not tasting food while cooking though, but the experience is meant to be brilliant.

I went to the cookery workshop and it was great. Katiyani is the indian lady who gives the classes. These were held in Govinda's, Angiers St, on sunday afternoons for 3 hours, and we got to eat what was cooked at the end of the workshop. Mmmm
    I'd recommend it big time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Had thought about going to that, was the food very similar to what they serve in the restaurant(s)?

I've never been to the restaurant on the Northside but yes, what you learn to cook at the workshops is the food that they serve in the restaurant on Aungier st, such as paneer, naan bread, bryani, potato and cabbage curry, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Is that the Hare Chrishna place or is that another one? Have not tried a veggie restaurant yet... some day

Yes it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

ok.. is there any hard selling or is it simply go in, eat and leave?

Ya go in, pick up a tray, have a gawk at the food, order what ya wanna eat, pay, look for a table, eat the food and go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Saruman wrote:
    Just hard selling from people who like the food there :)

I've been to a couple of other Govinda's around Europe and the Irish ones really stand up well against them. The London one is interesting but not quite as good IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

I've never been to the restaurant on the Northside but yes, what you learn to cook at the workshops is the food that they serve in the restaurant on Aungier st, such as paneer, naan bread, bryani, potato and cabbage curry, etc

I did a similiar course and I loved it. I've learned how to make some seriously tasty dishes, and I've actually found that the meals are quite cheap to make!

Whenever I'm nearby I can't resist getting a Govinda's take away to bring home with me. I generally have one in the freezer at all times - it is divine when I'm too lazy to cook my own ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭shroomfox

I just order the special every time. Bit of everything on your plate - mmm.

Ah stop! Ya make me hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Al Katraz

Saruman wrote:

Absolutely none, not even soft selling of the religion.

The cookery course is brilliant (and cheap) but they don't use onions or garlic because they're apparently 'lustful'. They don't use eggs or mushrooms either but they use lots of milk and butter and they make their own cheese.

Could do with changing the front menu every once in a while though.

Advertisement