Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Being Gazumped

Options
  • 24-01-2006 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭

Dont know if anybody else has had a problem with this previously but heres my story

Me and my girlfriend are buying a house in the North Kildare area. We have signed our side of the contract, but the builder is yet to sign his side. We got a call from the selling agent last thursday that the builder wants to make change to the layout and that we will have to pay 1450 Eur for this. We were told by the estate agent that the change is voluntary, but having talked to a builder who showed us the new layout on sat, we have found out that all the new houses that they are building will have this new layout. I have talked to my solicitor and told him the story and he said there is nothing i can do on this except wait it out and see if the builder signs the contracts without me having agreed to this change. If not I will have to pay an extra 1450 and accept a layout change. Personally i think it is really cheeky of the builder to pull a stunt like this.

has anybody else had a problem similar to mine?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This crap is absolutely normal in this country . I suppose that the proposed layout change is a reduction in house size for the extra money , as would be usual from Irish builders :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is a CIF / IHBA (?) code of practice on this and if this guy is a member, you might make enquiries.

What is the nature of the change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

they are moving an internal wall (making the master bedroom slightly bigger and bathroom slightly smaller). They are also changing the wardrobe in the box room.

I've never heard of the CIF/IHBA ..do they have a website?

It's a bummer, but tough luck. It's not illegal, it's not wrong, and your Solicitor is simply telling you as it is. In fact, contracts for any new development allow the developer to alter the layout even after contracts are signed - though not to up the price unless General Condition 6 of the Building Contracts is unaltered - but this is usually limited to the whole estate as opposed to interiors. Here, the developer is not bound to carry out anything as per contracts unless and until there is one in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Advertisement
Advertisement