Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

31 extra penalty point offences with effect from 1 April

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Litcagral wrote:
    While I am on the subject, if one exits at a junction onto a road with temporary traffic lights and the junction is between both sets of lights and one cannot see either set of lights from the exit, can one legally proceed? It's easy enough when the road is busy but difficult to guess which direction has right of way when the road is quiet.
    Such situations simply shouldn't be allowed to exist. There should be traffic lights on any side roads between the temporary lights also, surely?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Alun wrote:
    Such situations simply shouldn't be allowed to exist. There should be traffic lights on any side roads between the temporary lights also, surely?

We had this situation for several weeks in my locality. One had to make a guess when traffic was light and inevitably got it wrong sometimes. Oncoming motorists would "flash" their lights etc. assuming you had broken a red light on the other side.

Litcagral wrote:
    We had this situation for several weeks in my locality. One had to make a guess when traffic was light and inevitably got it wrong sometimes. Oncoming motorists would "flash" their lights etc. assuming you had broken a red light on the other side.
    Hmmm, I'm tempted to make an "Only in Ireland!" comment there ... that's just pure madness!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

theres some that i think are a bit harsh .

instance failure to show your lisence . i know in the past ive been stopped twice without a lisence mainly because i was making a 2 min trip and forgot to bring my wallet no speeding etc was involved just chk point

also think that parking in a dangerous position tho dangerious and has 5 points is mear pittance compaired to the Driving Vehicle before remedying dangerous defects 3 points or Driving a vehicle against traffic flow on a motorway 2 points

im also very happy about the breath tests going to happen outside well established places . im sure after the inital shock of people seeing a cop car outside a pub/club they will realise its only for the best .

also "No adequate driving mirror"
    now would this be side mirrors or would this be the rear view mirror or what ?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Having quickly scanned the new penalty points in the paper today, what does 'Failing to turn left when entering a roundabout' mean?

Also, there is one that says HGV's and (I think) buses cannot use the outside lane of motorways. Does that apply even on 2 lane motorways?

• Advertisement

Having quickly scanned the new penalty points in the paper today, what does 'Failing to turn left when entering a roundabout' mean?
    I assume it means doing the only other alternative, i.e. turning right or in other words, going round the wrong way!!! Another one for an immediate ban followed by a compulsory re-test if you ask me, the same as driving the wrong way down a motorway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

todays Irish Times has the 'supposed' list of additional offences.

the one that stood out (well a lot of em did) was the offence of HGVs/Trucks/Busses/Coaches using the overtaking lane on motorways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

Alun wrote:
    Another one for an immediate ban followed by a compulsory re-test if you ask me, the same as driving the wrong way down a motorway :)

This is not as dramatic as it sounds. it is intended to curtail the practice of reversing up the hard shoulder when one has missed an exit off the motorway.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Litcagral wrote:
    This is not as dramatic as it sounds. it is intended to curtail the practice of reversing up the hard shoulder when one has missed an exit off the motorway.
    ...but will also apply to ex-FF ministers on their way home from a booze up! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As Alun says, it's about going the correct way around a roundabout. The law says "A driver will enter a roundabout by turning to the left", but that doesn't mean that if you don't actually turn left (i.e. you don't need to turn the wheel to go straight through) when entering, you're in trouble. I'm surprised that they saw a need to include this as a pointable offence - how often do non-foreign drivers get caught going the wrong way around a roundabout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

seamus wrote:
    As Alun says, it's about going the correct way around a roundabout. The law says "A driver will enter a roundabout by turning to the left", but that doesn't mean that if you don't actually turn left (i.e. you don't need to turn the wheel to go straight through) when entering, you're in trouble. I'm surprised that they saw a need to include this as a pointable offence - how often do non-foreign drivers get caught going the wrong way around a roundabout?
    I have seen a few driver in Irish regged cars doing it. Try to save the environment by using less fuel I expect.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

So if I was to report somebody as being parked dangerously, how exactly would they get convicted/penalised? I'd love to have seen the muppet who left his truck parked across from a T-junction down the street from my house (and left it there all weekend) get 5 penalty points. Even if I called traffic watch or the local station and got a garda to come out and see the vehicle causing a hazard, couldn't the driver just waltz (or conga if he prefers) up to the garda and say he wasn't the one who parked it there?

Advertisement