Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Some bands to check out.

• 24-01-2006 7:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭

The Mercury Program. Excellent, mostly instrumental, band. Kind of a cross between Explosions in the Sky and Sigur Ros with some Tortoise thrown in (although I can't hear it myself, I'd liken some of the structures to simple Mars Volta stuff) but with a emphasis on simplicity.

Trans am. Energetic post rock, electronica and wierdness.

www.pandora.com is great for finding bands like these.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Explosions In The Sky and Sigur Ros are both amazing bands. Both definitely in my top ten
    I never heard of Tortoise :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Aporia wrote:
    I never heard of Tortoise :confused:

Get Millions Now Living Will Never Die. It's good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Jim10000

has anyone heard Bonnie Prince Billy and Tortoise's covers album yet?
    "The Brave and the Bold "
    any good?

Haven't heard it yet but I want it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Jim10000 wrote:
    has anyone heard Bonnie Prince Billy and Tortoise's covers album yet?
    "The Brave and the Bold "
    any good?

Listened to this a few times. The pairing sounds good on paper, and both parties are very much themselves (a good thing). The fact its a covers album, with radical interpretations, had my interest tweaked.

All the elements i like so much about both parties is there, but somehow nothing much happens... One of those records where you are egging on both parties, you want them to be brilliant, but something is missing.

So i would say i am disappointed.

Worth a listen though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭legologic

For an album involving Bonnie Prince Billy it was very dissapointing indeed! His colaboration with Matt Sweeny, "superwolf", was much much better. Steer clear of this one.

legologic wrote:
    For an album involving Bonnie Prince Billy it was very dissapointing indeed! His colaboration with Matt Sweeny, "superwolf", was much much better. Steer clear of this one.

Damn, I bought it earlier! Haven't listened to it yet though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Giblet wrote:

Trans am. Energetic post rock, electronica and wierdness.

As far as I'm aware, though I might be wrong, only one Trans Am album, called futureboy or something, is all electronica. The rest are guitar stuff. What I've heard was really very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Ah the Mercury Program are alright. It's an offshoot from American Analog Set, who say they're never going to tour again, but they might still make albums. AmAnSet were/are great - their last gig in the Sugar Club is one of my favourite gigs ever. The Mercury Program is just missing something compared with them.

The Brave and the Bold is interesting and good. The Calvary Cross. *heart*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

"Outmoder" and "White Rhino" by Trans AM are great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Jesus that Pandora site is fantastic.... Cheers, Giblet!

Advertisement