Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cidaemon.exe - application error

• 24-01-2006 9:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

I've suddenly started getting this error message which pops on screen every couple of minutes, any ideas on how to fix it ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Something you have installed recently may have changed your XP settings and this is preventing something from loading correctly.

As a long shot if you have XP SP2 installed, have a look in at your DEP settings. To check them do the following:-

Click Start, then RIGHT click My Computer, and select properties. Do not click a short cut on your desktop it will not work.
    Click the ADVANCED tab
    In the Performance box click Settings
    Click the Data Execution Prevention tab
    Check that DEP is set to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

cidaemon.exe is a part of the Windows Indexing Service. Try shutting the service off (RC on My Computer -> Manage -> Services and Applications -> Services -> Indexing Service -> Stop). Its not a really necessary service to have running anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Thanks Nipple nuts (great name) Already have that done,

Aidan, Thanks I'll try that. Any ideas what might have caused it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

iMax wrote:
    Thanks Nipple nuts (great name) Already have that done,

Aidan, Thanks I'll try that. Any ideas what might have caused it ?
    Not sure, but by the looks of the error message its a memory management issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

OK after a reboot the problem is back & compounded by an indexing service error message. Nuts I know I'm going to end up re-installing :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

check that it is actually what it claims to, and not a virus?

XP System Restore tbh. - doesn't touch personal data..

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cidaemon.exe is a part of the Windows Indexing Service. ... Its not a really necessary service to have running anyway.
    has anyone ever seen this speed up any searches ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

has anyone ever seen this speed up any searches ?

If you have a hundred thousand files yes :)

What you could do is try repairing your windows (if your running an oem version of windows you could be screwed thought)

plop in your xp disk, press any key then at the first screen press [ Enter ] then accept the licence agreement and then you will be able to hit R to repair windows.

have you installed anything of recent that you think could have caused this ?

Advertisement