Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal v Wigan (scores incl.)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Great game. Both team played nice attacking football. Refreshing to see.

Fair play to Wigan for not buckling and for not letting the heads drop after what looked like a killer goal from RVP. Roberts deserved a goal. Pollit defo MOTM IMO though.

Now hopefully Blackburn can make it an all 'underdog' final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I am waiting for Jank to come and make excuses lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If Utd win tomorow night, Wigan are the first English team in europe next season( assuming Utd's season doesnt completey implode)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Stekelly wrote:
    If Utd win tomorow night, Wigan are the first English team in europe next season( assuming Utd's season doesnt completey implode)

Now that would be some achievement for a club like wigan.

Wigan in Europe , Dave Whelan & Paul Jewell absolute legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

wow

Willem D wrote:
    Wigan in Europe , Dave Whelan & Paul Jewell absolute legends.

Noy quite, dont jinx it.:)

On another note, I was delighted to see chimbonda getting booked for tellign the ref to book a player for a tackle. Thats one of my pet hates, no to get all refs to do this consistantl.

Spose , even as Man U fan I would be prepared to see them lose tommorrow in order for Wigan to have a better chance in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Well done Wigan. Delighted for them. Paul Jewell has done something magic there and I hope their cup run doesnt culminate in them beating United in the final. Still, I really like watching them play!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I think what they were saying was the same as what they sang at Anfield -

Who needs Mourinhio, we've got Paul Jewellio.

Fair play to them and congrats on a final in the first year of the prem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Willem D wrote:
    I am waiting for Jank to come and make excuses lol.

Sorry but did i ever have a run in with you.... Or better still where have I ever made excuse for Arsenal losing..... Maybe you should get a life...
    It funny how United fans complain about abu's coming on this board and gloating over their teams performances when they lose. Maybe a look in the mirror should do them good.

On the match itself.......

Well only saw the 2nd half onwards. Was all Arsenal then but the defense was dodgey.
    Gilberto is a 3 legged donkey. Lost count on how mnay passes he gave away.

Reyes seriously needs to cop the **** on. If he stayed on his feet more he would be twice the player. He has the talent, just needs to sort out his atitude. He has the most assists in the league ( 10 ), but just needs to take his chances and be more direct

Senderous and Cambpell need to go back to basics on their defending. The goal was a carbon copy of the one they let in against Everton.

Bergkamp, Legend but passed it.

On the plus side

Van Persie, what a ****ing player. Cant wait to see him in the world cup. Hopefully he will stay fit now for the rest of the season

Gilbert, Very handy player. As said before a new right sided ashley cole. How old is the guy? 18?

Flamini played well I thought very busy player. More games like this please.

Cant begrude Wigan their place in the final. Its a great boost for them and their town.

Arsenal rode their luck throughout the cup and it was going to run out sooner or later. Better now then the CL right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Brilliant game, delighted for Wigan. Why did United let that goalie go ?? Outstanding performance tonight and in most of the games I seen him in.

Arsenal had plenty of chances and a ref in their pockets but squandered them both. I thought their supporters could have been more gracious in defeat. It wasn't 'pool or Chelsea that beat them but new comers to the league Wigan.

On balance Arsenal played the better skillful football but their continuing desire to score beautiful goals went against them tonight and they lost out to a team who played every opportunity they were given.

IF united get to the final and IF Wigan beat us I'll be one of the first to congratulate them and applaud their passion and desire.

Well done Wigan.

ZEN

As I said in the PM you just sent me, get a bleeding grip its a bit of friendly banter about the match, that is all. I have no problem with you FFS , thats why I said Lol after my post.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Willem D wrote:
    As I said in the PM you just sent me, get a bleeding grip its a bit of friendly banter about the match, that is all. I have no problem with you FFS , thats why I said Lol after my post.

Do you know what PM stands for...;) :rolleyes:
    I just pm'd me because you made reference to me personally. I was just wondering why.

TBH I cant see Arsenal winning any trophies this season. 4th place in the league will be achievement enough.

Holy crap talk about having no sense of how friendly banter works, especially in football. It was joke , as football fan when you see your enemy lose you want to gloat , not shake hands and say hard luck old chap.

• Advertisement

Please calm it people, I do not want to ban any more posters today.

There is absolutely need for bans no insult have been exchanged , well for some reason Jank thinks I insulted him , I would call it purely a football fan friendly goading his enemy.

Note: Enemy as in soccer only , as Arsenal/Man U.

Just before Jank picks me up the wrong way again.

And i would like to continue that trend Willem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Anyway..........................

Was it just me, or did Wigan get denied two blatent penos? I was watching it in the pub so I didn't see it all, but there was two incidents of complete man handling on Roberts I think that were defo penos.

I would have rather played Arsenal in the final, but Wigan will have to do :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Legends... Arsenal prob shaded it but Wigan had 3 penalty disputes turned down...

should have got at least two of them if not all

Ref had a bad game...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

PHB wrote:
    Anyway..........................

Was it just me, or did Wigan get denied two blatent penos? I was watching it in the pub so I didn't see it all, but there was two incidents of complete man handling on Roberts I think that were defo penos.

I would have rather played Arsenal in the final, but Wigan will have to do :)

who says your so sure of making it to the final :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

arsenal are a bunch of bottlers who couldnt battle their way out of a paper bag

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Atlas_IRL wrote:
    Ref had a bad game...
    Thats just a tiny bit of an understatement there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

arsenal are a bunch of bottlers who couldnt battle their way out of a paper bag

I think this is an unfair statement to make. Yes Arsenal are not playing well at the moment, and the defence is starting to wobble a bit, but to say they are bottlers is total nonsense. Sure it was only in the last FA Cup Final in May that they held their nerve in the shootout to beat Utd, in a game which they never looked like winning. Only Vieira was missing from that day last night, and maybe Lehmann and Toure, but they ain't no bottlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

There were a few encouraging signs - Reyes (awesome again, his 'on' days are becoming much more frequent these days),

You watching the same match?
    Reyes is a donkey.
    He spends most of his time on his ***e moaning at the referee about (mostly) non existant tackles.
    The sooner we get rid of him the better.

Gilbert looks a class player and is certainly going to be pushing Lauren for his place shortly.

Gilberto useless, how that guy is on the Brazilian team amazes me.
    Henry didn't look up for it and when will he stop trying to place the ball instead of blasting it. How many more goals would he score?

Bergkamp Too old and past it.

Senderos not good enough for a team like Arsenal.

WE need some new players and quick before we end up with a average team If we don't buy some good players soon Henry will be gone along with Bergkamp and Cole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Its great to see a team like Wigan get through to their first major cup final, even the chairmain said it last nite, 10 years ago they were playing non-league football.

Have to say they were denied at least 2 defo penalties if not 3, i was delighted when that goal went in, all wigan fans should be so proud..........all the best in the final, (unless its united ha ha):D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I had written this season off as a transition season anyway at this stage. My biggest concern as an Arsenal fan is that they make the Champions League next season and they get on with getting Henry signed up.

Its disappointing to lose out but I am glad that Wigan will get a chance to play in a final as they have been magnificent this season. I hope they win it (and thats not just because I have an ABU point of view), I think Jewell is an excellent manager.

Ah well here's hoping we don't lose to Bolton again or my work colleague will give me a second helping of humble pie this season !!!!

gandalf wrote:
    I had written this season off as a transition season anyway at this stage. My biggest concern as an Arsenal fan is that they make the Champions League next season and they get on with getting Henry signed up.

It's easy , just follow the Liverpool route and win it.Since the rule change you might even get the added bonus of taking your biggest rivals (spurs) place in the cl when they think they've qualified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

takign your biggest rivals (spurs) place in teh cl when they think they've qualified

Now that would be funny :D:D .

If we keep playing like we are at the moment and not getting the points,
    I can't see us filling Emirates after the first few months. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Gangsta

Campbell and Senderos were atrocious last night. With talk of winning the CL!? LMAO. If you can't keep a player like Jason Roberts under control you've very little chance against Raul and Ronaldo.
    Wenger is bringing in the right players but a proper CB is needed to replace these retards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Did Mellor play?
    If so, how did he do?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

okidoki987 wrote:
    You watching the same match?
    Reyes is a donkey.
    He spends most of his time on his ***e moaning at the referee about (mostly) non existant tackles.
    The sooner we get rid of him the better.
    :rolleyes: Yeah let's sell one of the club's most promising players and best performers this season - Ljungberg, Pires and Hleb look well up to it at the moment. Sure Reyes is making most of Arsenal's goals these days, but who needs that.

He was easily the best Arsenal attacker out there (during the 90 anyway). First half he was quiet but played a few brilliant, pin-point long passes over the top for Henry. Second half he was pulling all the strings, setting up virtually every Arsenal chance.
    Gilbert looks a class player and is certainly going to be pushing Lauren for his place shortly.
    He's 3rd choice right back (at best, probably lower), so... no.
    Lex Luthor wrote:
    Did Mellor play?
    If so, how did he do?
    He was fairly ineffectual.

Advertisement