Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hibernian Insurance Question

Options
  • 24-01-2006 9:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

I've a 3rd party policy with Hibernian which allows me to "Drive other cars" third party only. I've rang up before asking this and i've gotten different answers twice..
    I know that the car can't be in my name, but does the car have to be insured by someone for me to be insured under "driving other cars"?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Ronanom wrote:
    I've a 3rd party policy with Hibernian which allows me to "Drive other cars" third party only. I've rang up before asking this and i've gotten different answers twice..
    I know that the car can't be in my name, but does the car have to be insured by someone for me to be insured under "driving other cars"?

Yes. Unless it specificly states otherwise.
    You are insured to drive other cars 3rd party, on condition you arent the owner and it is insured by the owner in the first place (Hence has a valid insurance disc on the windscreen)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

i think the person has to have "open insurance" on their policy allowing others to drive it with permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flankerb

Misticles wrote:
    i think the person has to have "open insurance" on their policy allowing others to drive it with permission.

Ahh No, In this case your insurance is doing the coverage it does'nt matter what sort of policy is on the other car as long as it is insured. If you have an accident you will be claiming on your insurance not your mates insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Lionheart

Ronanom wrote:

My understanding is that whether or not there is current insurance in force by the owner, you are insured for purposes of the Road Traffic Act. While you are driving it, the extension under your policy means that there is insurance in force.

The one condition is that you must be driving with the owners consist. In effect, you are insured but the car isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

By law a car has to have an insurance disc - hence insured by the owner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

ronan i also got a different answers afew different times, then i went into the manager and she said i can drive ANY car third party only even though i have fully comp.that was great as after this day i have been driving my dads volvo s80 turbo which he never gave me before due to insurance reasons.:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I have a fully comp policy with hibernian, I can drive anyone's car (3rd party fire and theft, while driving it) if, 1. the car is insured, and 2. I have the owners permission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Kermitt

Ronanom wrote:

I wasn't aware that driving other cars was an option with only a 3rd party policy.. I'd double check that if i were you before driving someone else's car. I'v always had fully comp and can drive any car that is insured with consent. Can be very useful. It would have to be stated on your policy (certificate) that you can drive "any vehicle which is insured, that does not belong to the insured above, provided the vehicle is not taken without consent or by unlawful means"

Advertisement