Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

24 - A Film?

• 24-01-2006 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭

Taken From http://www.cinematical.com/2006/01/09/kiefer-fantasizes-about-a-24-movie/

"In a move that probably not-so-coincidentally comes just before the next day in Jack Bauer's unbelievably stressful life hits TV, 24 star Kiefer Sutherland spent some time recently thinking out loud about the possibility of a movie based on the series. Though he offers neither details nor evidence that anyone else is thinking about the transition, Sutherland is nevertheless pretty enamored of the idea - and he wants more than one movie, dammit! "It can be an amazing series of movie...[compress] all the energy we spread over 24 hours of programming and put that into 2, I think we'd knock your socks off."

Would love to see this happening.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Can't see it working tbh...

What if they have to drive accross town in rush hour traffic or something else that puts the constraints on the storyline...

Unless of course they do what they did in Season 4 and just seem to forget the real time aspect altogether...

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

I don't imagine that it will work too well, you can't fit all the complication of the series into 2-3 hours. It wouldn't be the same at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

I read somewhere that a 2 hour film may work. The first hour, not in real time, just to set the scene and the story.

The 2nd hour, the climax, would be in real time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i honestly could see myself sitting in a 5 hour film, if they made it five hours, i done it for real on the series :D

Sparky-s wrote:
    i honestly could see myself sitting in a 5 hour film, if they made it five hours, i done it for real on the series :D

Those were the days, hit "Play All" on the DVD and sit back and relax!

Don't think many would sit through 5 hours. It's years off anyway, if it ever does happen.

• Advertisement

Ah the good old "Play All"... All one had to do was get up every few hours to change the disc...
    I very much doubt that a 5 hour film would be done, but they could get away with 3 hours.

thinking about it it was only around 45mins really per episode,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Rockerette

I read somewhere that a 2 hour film may work. The first hour, not in real time, just to set the scene and the story.

The 2nd hour, the climax, would be in real time.

that could work out the best way maybe?

Oh yeah, they stuck in ad breaks. You can see that in the DVD, the timer skips forward a few minutes whenever there was a break.

Merrick wrote:
    I very much doubt that a 5 hour film would be done, but they could get away with 3 hours.

They should get Peter Jackson on board :D

• Advertisement

Rockerette wrote:
    that could work out the best way maybe?

It's the best idea i've seen mentioned anyway. I dont think two hours of real time could cut it.

Although maybe the real time aspect would attract more people, which basically is what they want.

seriously, when your into it, without ads, the time flys, i think the only time i know time gos fast is when nature calls and i look at the watch as well as looking at the 24 clock

Oh just imagine...
    A 4 hour long epic with all manner of CG special effects added. It would take him years. Just to do the explosions even...

Merrick wrote:
    Oh just imagine...
    A 4 hour long epic with all manner of CG special effects added. It would take him years. Just to do the explosions even...

around 1 hr of jack asleep, and CTU playing thumb wars while waiting for another terrorist.

and hopefully kim, (if shes going to be in it) getting dressed slowly (might add another 20 mins on to it) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Screw Peter Jackson...

Get Tarantino on board...

Scene 1 would be Jack standing over Palmer's lifeless body crying, scene 2 skips back 8 hours to Jack being brought on board by Palmer to find some terrorist flying in from the Middle East, scene 3 skips forward 6 hours to Jack striking the name of the terrorist off his list, scene 4 skips back 2 hours to Jack infiltrating the terrorist stronghold... and so forth

It's like if you watch the DVDs in the wrong order... Very Tarantino-esque :v:

steveland? wrote:
    Screw Peter Jackson...

Get Tarantino on board...

Scene 1 would be Jack standing over Palmer's lifeless body crying, scene 2 skips back 8 hours to Jack being brought on board by Palmer to find some terrorist flying in from the Middle East, scene 3 skips forward 6 hours to Jack striking the name of the terrorist off his list, scene 4 skips back 2 hours to Jack infiltrating the terrorist stronghold... and so forth

It's like if you watch the DVDs in the wrong order... Very Tarantino-esque :v:

and also to include excessive amounts of Spraying blood.
    and where jack gets burried in a welded chamber without a torch under cement, but gets out by using his jack roar.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Dave3x

Lads, I've heard of that whole 1st hour regular, 2nd hour real-time idea before. But picture it: Big climax, people runnign and screaming, pulsating music building up to a climactic crescendo..and the screen goes blank. Then, little words start forming and you hear: "The following takes place... events occour i real time." Oh yeah.... what a nerdy thrill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I think they'd be far better off producign a made-for-DVD full series of 24.

Just think. 24 hours that was actually 24 hours, and not 24 x 42 minutes (or whatever it is).

DVD box sets are such *huge* money already that sooner or later the "made for DVD box-set" approach will come about. It just needs the killer implementation....it needs to have *something* that makes it unsuitable for TV / cinema. 24 hours, no end-of-episode credits (just change-disk notices)...No being tied to having a climactic scene every "episode"....24 has that something which could let it do this.

You can keep your cinema :)

jc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sutherland set for 24 movie

31/01/2006 - 10:34:27

Actor Kiefer Sutherland is keen to start filming a big screen version of his hit TV series 24, as soon as production on the show wraps up later this year.

The show is currently filming its fifth season and producers are planning to shoot the movie while the show is on a break, according to moviehole.net.

And the actor is convinced his audience would relish a feature film version of the hit show.

Sutherland says: "I think there's always a way to actually deal with the idea of 24 as a film that would completely be separate from 24 the television show. And by that I mean the characters could be different. They could be completely unrelated, and I think that would still be effective."

The star Sunday night won the Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Performance By A Male Actor In A Drama Series for his portrayal of Special Agent Jack Bauer.

He suggests a sixth season of the show would start filming after the big screen version was complete.

Any idea how they would do this? 3 hour real time film or a couple of films in real time or would it be in real time?

Sorry didnt see thread below.

kearnsr wrote:
    Sorry didnt see thread below.

No problem, merged.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sparky-s wrote:
    No problem, merged.

Thanks.

Just wondering does any one know of any other real time movies that have been done before?

Is there any precedent for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

There was a Johnny Depp & Christopher Walken film. Nick of Time i think.

EDIT: Yep, IMDB link

SofaKing wrote:
    There was a Johnny Depp & Christopher Walken film. Nick of Time i think.

EDIT: Yep, IMDB link

When his daughter gets kidnapped? I remember that but didnt realise it was real time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

/me sees FOX doing with 24 what they did with The Simpsons
    :(

Mossy Monk wrote:
    /me sees FOX doing with 24 what they did with The Simpsons
    :(

Make a VH1 behind the Action special?
    :D

Advertisement