Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Phone Virus?

• 24-01-2006 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

My mam was over in India last week and picked up a virus on her phone.

It sends a message from her phone every 30secs to random people in her phone book.

Its something like "for free text sex text me back".

She had no idea these messages were being sent until someone showed her the message.

She gave it to the techies in work and they told her it was a virus on her phone. They said she must have got it in India. They checked with vodafone and messages were sent every 30 secs.

They told her to dump the phone.

Has anyone ever heard about this before?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

yeah its a bluetooth virus called comwarrior i believe. flashing the phone is the only way to get rid of it as far as i now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

ah crappy.. the phone kept sending me stuff through bluetooth the other day.. i deleted it all.. hope to god i dont have it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh my mate had this virus on his 6680....keeps sending out msgs via Bluetooth every few seconds...I accepted onto my 6230i but it had no effect, I was simply able to delete the file....not so easy on the 6680 though although there is a fix for it which I found on the net for him.....don't have it to hand though sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

orla wrote:
    ah crappy.. the phone kept sending me stuff through bluetooth the other day.. i deleted it all.. hope to god i dont have it

I hope i get the message from you ;) , on a serious note get the phone flashed and al should be fine. call into your nearest network outlet to send it for a flash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

best bet is to drop it into the nokia center on dawson st

at your own risk....
    this will lose everything but should work
    *#7370# it will deleteall settings text messages, numbers ect
    oh and take out the memory card and format it in a camera if you can

edit,

it will only infect nokia symbian phones (3230, 3650, 3660, 7650, 7610, 6260, 6600, 6620, 6630, 6670, 6680, 6681, ngage)
    and a lot of the newer symbian phones wont allow you to install unlicenced apps

• Advertisement

I don't think i've been sendin any message from my phone anyway. I put my blue tooth on and my dads and it didnt try to send him anything anyway.

I only have the phone 2 days!

Don't have a memory card on the phone anyway..

How much does it cost to flash a phone?

donno but its free if its less then a year old, but i guess its a 6600, as the 6630 is restriced, and the 6600 is a few years old now

if it is comwarrior
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/commwarrior.shtml#disinf

Are you guessing what phone i have?

I've a 7370 btw

mam has a 6260

nope, guessing what your ma has, i am off to bed, best of luck with it

edit.... BTW i am talking about fixing your mothers phone, yours will be fine

ps thats a nice phone you have

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Always use mcafee or symantec on your mobile. it protects against nearly all the common viruses like comwarrior and that dastardly early virus skulls....

I used symantec scanner for awhile, scanned the phone pretty fast once a day and protected me from bt viruses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The easiest solution to this is to do a hard format, it wipes the flash memory of the phone, then restores the phones OS from the protected EEPROM. To do this:
    Power off the phone.
    Press and hold: * + 3 + SEND/Green Call Key.
    Press the power button.
    Release the three keys when the phone says "formatting", if it asks for the PIN code, or if it askes you to set your home town (time zone).

The phone will be back to its factory settings. And the virus will have been deleted. It is the same as wiping your computers Hard Drive and reinstalling windows from the CD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

I used Anti Virus for one of the lads 6630 and it found and removed Comwarrior.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I can't believe there are viruses for phones now. That's crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I have the comm virus too...how do I get an anti virus program ? are they free for phones?

Yeh its freeware I think.Do a google search on it or if you have trouble you can ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

There is also a beta version of Spybot Search and Destroy for Symbian devices.....:D

Sounds intresting.I use S&D for my pc and its great so ill say its a handy app for phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Thing is I'd never open a bloody email attachment. And if I hadn't been flaming drunk I wouldn't have opened even that.

Mmmm.

http://mobile.f-secure.com/disinfection.html
    I downloaded the free com warrior removal tool - it detected comm warrrior, rebooted the phone and appears to have removed it.

So I don't have to go flashing the phone and all that malarkey......... right?? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

mukki wrote:
    donno but its free if its less then a year old, but i guess its a 6600, as the 6630 is restriced, and the 6600 is a few years old now

if it is comwarrior
    http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/commwarrior.shtml#disinf

how do you means its restriced? do you mean that it won't uninstall unlicenced apps? thats a setting in the phone. you can change it so it will install them.

tools-> (app) manager -> settings

• Advertisement
Advertisement