Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silent hill - movie!

Options
  • 24-01-2006 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭

I saw this trailer in the cinema the other day (in washington DC at the mo, dont know if theyre showing it back home). But i was very impressed. All the other trailers were for comic book - movie adapatations/horror movies and other crap, and the silent hill trailer stuck out as for one, not looking anything like a rubbish video game movie, and looking more mature and downright scarier than any of the other trailers!
    Seems very faithful to the game, (but harry has been replaced with a woman), theres even a scene inmidwich elemntary school, the freaky mannequin/nurses are there, and the weird air raid siren noise when the world all goes to hell. All in all, im actually pretty excited about it, and fans of the game should be too
    http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/silenthill/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Merrick

Brilliant, I loved Silent Hill!
    If the movie's anywhere near as spooky as the games could get, it'll be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Trailor didn't impress me too much bar moments of nostalgia seeing stuff I remembered from the game and some of those zombies looked suspiciously like cgi and cgi zombies/scarey stuff just isn't scarey. Will still go to see this mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

With every game to movie adaption (real or rumoured) I like to pick one aspect of the game that is unlikely to be kept, and insist they keep it. For this one, it's gotta be Pyramid head raping stuff. If the film doesn't feature Pyramid head raping monsters and/or manniquins, I will be outraged.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Crucifix wrote:
    If the film doesn't feature Pyramid head raping monsters and/or manniquins, I will be outraged.
    Seconded... ;)

Get both of the trailers on gametrailers.com in quicktime and inch through them frame by frame... some disturbing stuff there. Perhaps the game to film crossovers have a hit on their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Sean Bean's character is bound to die :)

Looking forward to the film. They've kept all the fog in it, which means it will scare me ****less. Is April a global release date or just US ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Pity the siren sounds cack and nothing like the game. Yeah I know im being a stupid fanboy but I really like the siren sound. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dont like the way the main part is a lady instead of a guy. seems a poor cop out, most horror films have a girl in the usual run away screaming part, but silent hill was meant to get into ur bones, hence why it should be a fella. u know the strong, silent type who would never normally get freaked out but cos silent hill is so freaky he gets freaked neway :confused:

not just random girls running through mist looking for their daughter while screaming theyre heads off.
    hate when hollywood comes in and changes the story and characters of games because they "know better" a-la : Doom
    i think only mortal kombat and street fighter had the characters and story right.... but they were cack neway. when the potential for "good" game films is around, hollywood takes out its "knows better" hat and stuffs them up. hence why Halo will be cack

(que fanboys: bla bla bla Peter Jackson isnt Hollywood, bla bla bla, Halo will be the bestest everest film, bla bla bla)
    tom cruise for the master chief :D

But isn't it scarier to have a women there, a women who will be terrified but find the strength within herself to confront the horrors of Silent Hill and find her daughter...........yawn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

But isn't it scarier to have a women there, a women who will be terrified but find the strength within herself to confront the horrors of Silent Hill and find her daughter...........yawn.

sounds like a jodie foster movie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Why do I get the feeling it should be made by hallmark and be yet another sterling addition to the "woman overcoming adversity" genre?

Just retitle it to "not without my daughter, you fog dwelling, woman oppressing, monsters!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The trailer shows Pyramid head anyway, he better be raping some mannequins!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Jazzy wrote:
    dont like the way the main part is a lady instead of a guy. seems a poor cop out, most horror films have a girl in the usual run away screaming part, but silent hill was meant to get into ur bones, hence why it should be a fella. u know the strong, silent type who would never normally get freaked out but cos silent hill is so freaky he gets freaked neway :confused:

not just random girls running through mist looking for their daughter while screaming theyre heads off.
    hate when hollywood comes in and changes the story and characters of games because they "know better" a-la : Doom
    i think only mortal kombat and street fighter had the characters and story right.... but they were cack neway. when the potential for "good" game films is around, hollywood takes out its "knows better" hat and stuffs them up. hence why Halo will be cack

(que fanboys: bla bla bla Peter Jackson isnt Hollywood, bla bla bla, Halo will be the bestest everest film, bla bla bla)
    tom cruise for the master chief :D

dont know *which* silent hill game its based on, but the lead IS a women in the game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm looking forward to this. It could easily be a great film if they keep it along the lines of Silent Hill 1+2 and make it more of a journey into madness than a rescue mission from evil monsters. If it is based on Silent Hill 1 I hope they make the ending like the depressing bad ending. They better not take the route of the new games that clumsily take the route of trying to tie the games together. The best Silent Hill was 2 since it was so abstract and unique in the way it used silent hill. It never went throught the back story of silent hill but it was a way of explaining the life of the main protangonist.

From the trailer it looks like they have got the look and the music of the games. Lets hope they get everything else right.

Kiith wrote:
    sounds like a jodie foster movie :D

I was thinking Flightplan but with zombies..... and no airplane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

1 & 2 was blokes

i pretty much agree with retro there, decent into madness is the way to go.
    unfortunately.... its GOING to be a rescue mission with all the usual hodge-podges of modern day horror films.
    and do u know why? cos hollywood knows better then the ppl that make the games. thats why doom and res evil where so brilliant. amazingly produced films with astounding actors like milla jovovich and the rock. one a model, the other a wrestler.... OH YEAH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭December Son

Jazzy wrote:
    astounding actors like milla jovovich and the rock. one a model, the other a wrestler.... OH YEAH!

If youd seen the trailer for her new movie, 'ultraviolet' youd be happy to have her in any movie!! Sure she cant act worth a **** but as i said to my gf during the trailer...'its 2 hours of **** material!!'

But back OT, i agree with retro here, 2 definitely had the best story, if they just combine 1's story of looking for the missing girl with 2's descent into madness, were on to a winner. 3's story wasnt great, and its ending was absolutely terrible, and all reports of 4 said it was'nt fit to lick the blood off the first 3 games boots. Either way, i can honestly say this will be hands down the best video game to movie conversion so far (which may not be saying much, but hey ive a good feeling about this one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

Trailer seems to be quite good, especially like the touches like the air raid siren and the music at the end. Hopefully it wont be made a mess of!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I generally avoid movies based on games and games based on movies.

I generally avoid movies based on games and games based on movies.

With Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butchers Bay being the obvious exception I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Never heard of it.
    Like I said, I'm usually just not interested... haven't seen the Tomb Raider film, or Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or anything despite enjoying the games.
    I think it stems from all those crap movie/game cash-in's they made for the Megadrive and SNES over the years... utter shít the lot of them.

• Advertisement

Never heard of it.
    Like I said, I'm usually just not interested... haven't seen the Tomb Raider film, or Final Fantasy, Resident Evil or anything despite enjoying the games.
    I think it stems from all those crap movie/game cash-in's they made for the Megadrive and SNES over the years... utter shít the lot of them.

*Sharp intake of breath* It was so good Eurogamer reviewed it twice. You like FPSs then go ahead and get it. It's brill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Trailer looks good, makes me wanna go home and play silent hill 2 again, even though i havent touched since i finished it all those years ago..

hopefully the movie wont suck donkey balls..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

RopeDrink wrote:
    Come to think of it... Just thought I'd fire this in here seeing as I've been going through YouTube faster than a hot bullet through a fresh zombie.

Best analogy ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

I found this
    spearhead0214067cd.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

Dying to see this movie but it might not even get a release in cinemas over here quite like the original resi evil movie got limited release found this on another site sounds quite good

From another silent hill board

Originally Posted by mrz3ro

from the Silent Hill movie today at Wondercon in SF.

It was a scene from the trailer where the people are running up the steps and the cop (Cybil) turns to yell at Rose to hurry "it's coming!".

Warning :: Spoiler Ahead!
    There is some dialogue between Rose and Dahlia Gillespie. Rose says she has seen Alessa and she asks why Alessa looks exactly like her own daughter Sharon. It was hard to hear the dialogue clearly as it wasn't loud enough and I was sitting toward the back of the room. The entire time the air raid siren is going in the background and people are running up the steps. One of them (a younger woman) stops and shouts something at Dahlia (it was hard to hear) and then the ground and everything around them starts to turn black. Rose runs up the steps and she and Cybil start to enter the school. Dahlia points at the younger woman and as Rose and Cybil enter the school, Pyramid Head makes it to the top of the stairs. He grabs the young woman by the neck, holds her up in the air, with a single pull tears her clothes off. Then he grabs the skin of her chest and twists it and then rips the skin off of her entire body. As Rose and Cybil slam the school doors shut, he throws the skin at them and it splatters against the door, with blood seeping underneath it. There was an effect where some of it splatters on the camera as it splats against the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

This sounds fantastic.

I really can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Brock wrote:
    There is some dialogue between Rose and Dahlia Gillespie. Rose says she has seen Alessa and she asks why Alessa looks exactly like her own daughter Sharon. It was hard to hear the dialogue clearly as it wasn't loud enough and I was sitting toward the back of the room. The entire time the air raid siren is going in the background and people are running up the steps. One of them (a younger woman) stops and shouts something at Dahlia (it was hard to hear) and then the ground and everything around them starts to turn black. Rose runs up the steps and she and Cybil start to enter the school. Dahlia points at the younger woman and as Rose and Cybil enter the school, Pyramid Head makes it to the top of the stairs. He grabs the young woman by the neck, holds her up in the air, with a single pull tears her clothes off. Then he grabs the skin of her chest and twists it and then rips the skin off of her entire body. As Rose and Cybil slam the school doors shut, he throws the skin at them and it splatters against the door, with blood seeping underneath it. There was an effect where some of it splatters on the camera as it splats against the door.
    Charming... i caught that little 'exerpt' on 4chan a while back, kinda sickening but then again makes me root for Pyramid head

Advertisement