Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

scandisk wiped >half a gig. don't know why

• 24-01-2006 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

[External hard drive] needs to be checked for consistency message on startup.
    About 10 folders listed as being totally unreadable and deleted. Googling for "totally unreadable" got me no results.
    OS is xp. Might be out of date since I recentlyrestored year-old ghost image
    Anyone know why this might have happened? Didn't crash or anything.
    Where are the recovered files stored, and the log?
    Could it have been a power surge that caused it? My amp blew too so I'm wondering...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Is your computer plugged in?

thats what went wrong with me one day when I just got a black screen if not,

try it out on a neighbours pc once that too is plugged in,

with all electronics you have to make sure they are plugged in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Hmmm. Interesting to see where this might go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

dickhead.
    I mean chkdsk btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

cop on (all of you).

Check event viewer.
    A power surge is a possibility.
    Filesystem (NTFS?)?
    Did you restore the ghosted image before or after the issue?

If the data is important - SpinRite (commericial) might do the job..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sandals wrote:
    Is your computer plugged in?
    thats what went wrong with me one day when I just got a black screen if not,
    try it out on a neighbours pc once that too is plugged in,
    with all electronics you have to make sure they are plugged in

If your going to reply to somebodys question there's no need to be smart, smart answers like this in the future will result in a ban!

If you don't have anything helpful to add don't bother replying!
    Your posting enough crap on the Braodband Forum that will probably get you banned for spamming if you keep it up (if you havn't been already), post more crap like your the above post and the same can happen here. :)
    pwd wrote:
    dickhead.
    I mean chkdsk btw.

Same goes for you, no need for personal abuse!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

if you didn't run the Safely Remove Hardware wizard or wait until windows has shutdown before removing or powering down the external usb device (drive / key / whatever ) then there is a chance of corruption especially if you wrote stuff to the disk.

If the power cut caused either the PC or the external device to loose power or there was a spike that cused a reboot then it's possible.

Old XP ghost - if you had reformatted the external drive in the meantime it may had not remembered drive geometry correctly (unlikely though)

The ghost was only done on the c drive. Never ghosted the external drive.
    Didn't turn off or disconnect without powering down either.
    Filesystem is FAT32 on external(NTFS on C).
    Data is not important (more that I don't want it to happen again).
    There was a power cut recently, but not while the PC was on.
    thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Same thing happened to a mate. Wiped his entire video folder. Windows told him that it was going to back up the data. The backup turned out to be a 15kb .file that we could do nothing with! The HD that it was on wasnt the primary OS HD, needless to say he was pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

Ok ghost restores the HD to its ghost image wiping any partitions if the default restore is selected. You can choose to restore just a partition.Probalby what happened to Nick_oliveri's mate. I don't know how this effects attached external HDs though.

Sorry ghost was nothing to do with the problem; I only even mentioned it to explain why my system wasn't updated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement