Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eircom packages don't make sense

• 24-01-2006 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I am on Eircom Broadband Home plus
    Before the weekend my speed was 2048/128
    After Saturday night it went to 3072/384
    Now the new packages on Eircom.ie say Home plus is a 2mb connection
    My connection seems to match the new Home professional
    Does this mean my price will go up too??
    I smell a rat here somewhere

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

what was homeplus is now home professional, now homeplus is what used to be the home starter package.

home starter - 1meg/128k
    home plus - 2meg/256k
    home professional 3meg/384k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dougals Daddy

Gonzo wrote:
    what was homeplus is now home professional, now homeplus is what used to be the home starter package.

home starter - 1meg/128k
    home plus - 2meg/256k
    home professional 3meg/384k

But I was on Home Plus 2048/128 at 42 Euro incl VAt
    Then they upgrade the speed change the name to home professional and charge 54 Euro plus Vat?

Free upgrade my arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Home Plus was always €54. Maybe you were just getting it cheap for some reason or part of a promotion.

All this song and dance and the Home Starter package is the same price as it was a week ago. It was too good to be true. The lesson with Eircom...They are in control and they allways win.
    As soon as NTL come to my street( before spring they say) I'm gone.
    The promotional price thing is a mask.
    What horrid people must work there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Really going all out to hit 1000 posts eh Sandals?

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

All this song and dance and the Home Starter package is the same price as it was a week ago. It was too good to be true. The lesson with Eircom...They are in control and they allways win.
    As soon as NTL come to my street( before spring they say) I'm gone.
    The promotional price thing is a mask.
    What horrid people must work there

Was the home starter not previously 39.99?

dub45 wrote:
    Was the home starter not previously 39.99?

Maybe so... I got home starter last year for 29.99 then upgraded to home plus for 39.99, never realised the price would go up!

I notice BT are selling Broadband plus with 3mb/384 for 40 Euro
    or 50 Euro including line rental.
    How do Eircom get away with it.

Still I'm hanging in there for NTL

Maybe so... I got home starter last year for 29.99 then upgraded to home plus for 39.99, never realised the price would go up!

I notice BT are selling Broadband plus with 3mb/384 for 40 Euro
    or 50 Euro including line rental.
    How do Eircom get away with it.

Still I'm hanging in there for NTL

When you say get away with it what exactly do you mean?

They charge (like most businesses!) the maximum that they think people will pay - they have a dominant position in the market so thats how they compete.

There is no getting away with anything - people have choice and unfortunately lots of people do not exercise that choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

From the eircom broadband site fwiw

Recent product enhancements for existing broadband customers
    The following table outlines the product changes and enhancements for customers who had eircom
    broadband service before 24th January 2006. These changes apply to all customers from this date.
    Product name Your new product name Rental Old speeds New speeds Download allowance old versus new
    eircom broadband time eircom broadband time €19.99 (inc. VAT). 1M / 128k. 1M / 128k. 20 hours. 20 hours.
    eircom broadband home starter eircom broadband home plus €39.99 (inc. VAT). 1M / 128k. 2M / 256k. 8G. 20G.
    eircom broadband home plus eircom broadband home professional €54. (inc. VAT). 2M / 128k 3M / 384k. 16G 30G.
    eircom broadband business starter eircom broadband business starter €45 (ex. VAT). 2M / 128k 4M / 384k. 20G. 40G.
    eircom broadband business plus eircom broadband business plus €89 (ex. VAT). 3M / 256k. 4M / 384k. 40G. 60G.
    eircom broadband business enhanced eircom broadband business enhanced €169 (ex. VAT). 4M / 256k. 5M / 512k. Unlimited Unlimited
    Example
    If you were an existing eircom broadband home plus customer, your product is now called
    home professional.
    Your speeds have increased from 2M / 128k to 3M / 384k.
    Your download allowance has increased from 16G to 30G.
    Your rental remains at €54.45 (inc. VAT) per month.*
    * The standard rental of €54.45 (inc. VAT) will apply to all customers who are currently on a promotion from 1st April 2006.
    The current promotional rental is €35 (ex. VAT) / €42.35 (inc. VAT).

dub45 wrote:
    When you say get away with it what exactly do you mean?

They charge (like most businesses!) the maximum that they think people will pay - they have a dominant position in the market so thats how they compete.

There is no getting away with anything - people have choice and unfortunately lots of people do not exercise that choice.

Wrong... I don't have a choice
    The only DSL line to my house is owned by Eircom
    If BT supply the broadband its still Eircoms line
    If UTV supply the broadband its still Eircoms line
    Other suppliers simply re-sell the Eircom package with a slight difference in the price/markup. Eircom sets the wholesale rate so YES they are in control.
    And until the local loop is unbundled they will get away with setting the price & speed wherever they like.We really have no real choice or real cometition.

Eircom is NOT like most businesses.
    I have a business my self, and how easy it would be if aswell as selling my product I also controlled the supply to my competitors.
    They charge what they like because they know we're stuck with using them.

• Advertisement

?? I don't understand-you upgraded to a better package and disn't expect the price to go up? How come?
    [edit]
    oh i get it-when the promotion was over the price went up??)

jd wrote:
    ?? I don't understand-you upgraded to a better package and disn't expect the price to go up? How come?
    [edit]
    oh i get it-when the promotion was over the price went up??)

No you misunderstood

I had starter for 29.99
    I upgraded to Plus for 39.99
    I though it was worth the extra tenner for extra speed

Then last weekend they upgrade the speed of the line automatically(called a free upgrade)
    However they also change the name of my package and put the price up from 39.99 to 54.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Have you actually been billed 54.00?

No you misunderstood

I had starter for 29.99
    I upgraded to Plus for 39.99
    I though it was worth the extra tenner for extra speed

Then last weekend they upgrade the speed of the line automatically(called a free upgrade)
    However they also change the name of my package and put the price up from 39.99 to 54.00

You got a promotional rate when you signed up (for a year , i think)
    The advertised rate is 54 euro, and when your promo period runs out you will be on that. That is my reading of it. My dad was looking at it over the weekend too..

jd wrote:
    You got a promotional rate when you signed up (for a year , i think)
    The advertised rate is 54 euro, and when your promo period runs out you will be on that. That is my reading of it. My dad was looking at it over the weekend too..

That probably explains it.
    I guess they'll bump it up to 54 when my year is up so.

I'm not too unhappy to be honest,I use it alot, the speed has gone from 512 to 3mb in 18 months and more importantly the upload speed has tripled.
    I simply refuse to pay much more than 50 Euro in this day and age.
    However I find the whole promotional packages and changes very unclear, I did a sample survey of friends and family and none, 0, zilch knew the exact offering or price of any DSL operator.
    There is still alot of confusion among the unlearned broadbander.
    I think Eircom missed an opportunity here to introduce an always on Broadband base package at about 20 Euro incl VAT, even if it was only 512/128 it would bring in a huge amount of irish people who don't need broadband but would like it if the price was right.
    The entry price is still too high at 29.99 for the tester market.
    As for TIME, those 4 letters say it all
    Just when we had began to stop saying to the more forgetful in the house" dont forget to disconnect the internet"
    The future is "Fibre to the home"

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Eircom: €30 p/m for up to 1MB - Home Starter, Free Connection

BT Ireland: €30 p/m for up to 2MB - Broadband, €50 connection

Total for 6 months:

Eircom: €180.00

BT: €170.00

(Based on new connections )

If Eircom have upped the speed and want to charge you more, they should have notified you of higher charges. You also have the option to cancel if you don't want to pay higher charges.

Never mind control, if BT can offer better value, why not go with them?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ken90

All these people giving out about Eircom

I have an Iol Homeplue package for the last 1.5 years.

I'm still only getting 860mbs on Iol.

They are not interested.

At one stage I was cut off for 2 weeks, got noplace in the que with tech support.

Emailed Bill the previous Md (thank u boards) and was phoned by 6 hurt departmental managers in the following 3 days.

I am still being disconnected several times a day.

Took 6 months to refund a 400 Euro overcharge.

Before u give out about EIRCON

EXPERIENCE THE SH#TE OF IOL

ken90 wrote:
    All these people giving out about Eircom

I have an Iol Homeplue package for the last 1.5 years.

I'm still only getting 860mbs on Iol.

They are not interested.

At one stage I was cut off for 2 weeks, got noplace in the que with tech support.

Emailed Bill the previous Md (thank u boards) and was phoned by 6 hurt departmental managers in the following 3 days.

I am still being disconnected several times a day.

Took 6 months to refund a 400 Euro overcharge.

Before u give out about EIRCON

EXPERIENCE THE SH#TE OF IOL

Iol Homeplus is a repackaged Eircom product, like UTV, BT and all the others

An engineer once told me not to go with the resellers as when your line goes down you have to deal with the reseller who then deals with Eircom.
    Allegedly Eircom lookafter their own customers before those of their competitors.
    In otherwords if you have a substandard line and its with another provider your f***ed

Iol Homeplus is a repackaged Eircom product, like UTV, BT and all the others

An engineer once told me not to go with the resellers as when your line goes down you have to deal with the reseller who then deals with Eircom.
    Allegedly Eircom lookafter their own customers before those of their competitors.
    In otherwords if you have a substandard line and its with another provider your f***ed

If you have a substandard line you probably wont have bb so you dont have to face this problem at least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Sandals, if you go spamming like that again you'll be the owner of one barely used ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I was told Today from an Eircom sales person that ALL the packages will changed AGAIN on 31 march, everyone will given a free upgrade to the next package up, or downgraded if they wish......i told the Salesperson that that was what was happening now, and he assured me the one at the end of march was a NEW one.......i still think that he was confused about what was going on!!

cramp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

BT will shortly be bringing out a 1mb/128 always on product for 20 euro, which will make a mockery of Eircom's Broadband Time (20hrs per month, same price). Eircom announced today that they will be offering a 1mb/128 always on for 30 euro per month. Its anyones guess why this is 50% more than BT's package, given that Eircom own the lines to begin with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Duiske_Lad wrote:
    BT will shortly be bringing out a 1mb/128 always on product for 20 euro, which will make a mockery of Eircom's Broadband Time (20hrs per month, same price). Eircom announced today that they will be offering a 1mb/128 always on for 30 euro per month. Its anyones guess why this is 50% more than BT's package, given that Eircom own the lines to begin with.

Wheres the guessing???

They are the monopoly and are milking it for all they can!!!

Stay with eircom and give them more of a reason to keep these scandelous prices are go with another bitstream provider like I did with BTover a year ago!

Stop b!tching please and do more about it!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Right from the outset Eircom have been peddling over-priced and under-specced broadband access, relying on the general ignorance of the wider market to adopt their products. Plus an almost 24/7 ad campaign. (I wish I could twat that travel program bird sometimes).

Since getting the opportunity to switch provider, I've been rung at least once a week by their salespeople being offered packages to return, none of which though are actually in the slightest worth the price. But I can see where all the revenue must go! "EIRCOM" equals "Exploitation" - I can't believe anyone with enough IT tech savvy to be on a bulletin board can be using their products still :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Neither can I

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

dno what package im on but i have
    3mb download/ 512k uplaod

Think its the business package or something, but its definatly 512k upload

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

And until someone comes into the country, lobbies the government and lays their own lines, you are stuck with eircom wih every country, unless go with satelite, which is rubbish.

Next 5 years, everything will be wirless, so more compeitors will arrive jsut watch.

By 2010 Irelands internet access hould be fully wirless allowing for more competitiors from overseas, and faster speeds for customers, with the average line speeds of the lowest paying customer being 1mb dl and 2 mb upload.

In Scotland, SCOTLAND the average speeds the lines run at are 10mb dl =/

But everything will go wireless i nthec oming years, and for those gainst wirless, i run wiresls, and from readong other threads having one of the fastest lines IN THE COUNTRY

dno what package im on but i have
    3mb download/ 512k uplaod

Think its the business package or something, but its definatly 512k upload

Eircom products are detailed here:

http://www.eircom.ie/cgi-bin/bvsm/bveircom/bladerunner/showContent.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@0911889098.1138239121@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddgklmmhmhcefeceiedffndffg.0&cid=BroadbandWhatProductIsForMeRes&chanId=-536883915

And until someone comes into the country, lobbies the government and lays their own lines, you are stuck with eircom wih every country, unless go with satelite, which is rubbish.

Next 5 years, everything will be wirless, so more compeitors will arrive jsut watch.

But everything will go wireless i nthec oming years, and for those gainst wirless, i run wiresls, and from readong other threads having one of the fastest lines IN THE COUNTRY

The future is bright the future is ....................IBB and Clearwire:eek: :eek: :eek: I am feeling nosalgic for Eircom already:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement