Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

one footed players.

• 24-01-2006 10:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

What the hell is the deal with professional players who can only kick with one foot? They have to completely pull their foot accross themselves to do an awkward flick so that they dont have to use their wrong foot. Roberts has done it twice tonight when through on goal and needless to say has fluffed it.

That poxy Ciise donkey did it when gerrard gave him a great through ball on sunday V Utd, instead of getting a shot off with his left he tried to hook his right foot around it and ended up in a heap.

How can players not at least take a swing with their wrong foot, it bloody sickens me to see it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

True, in the olde days players seemed to be more willing to shoot with whichever foot happened to be nearest!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

in fairness, one the of the worlds greatest footballers had one foot - maradona.

but i have to agree with the fact that they spend all day - playing football.. you would expect them to be able to kick the thing with either foot.

in ciise' case he has no feet - just pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's worst with wingers. Have to say it drives me made when a RW playing on the left (or vice versa) who has to constantly come inside to make the cross. Totally destroys the momentum and gives a defence the extra second it needs to take care of business. Might as well not have even bothered crossing 90% of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

biggest culprit ive seen is didier agathe, the other leg is purely for standing on..

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭BillyBoy

but i have to agree with the fact that they spend all day - playing football.. you would expect them to be able to kick the thing with either foot.

People use their right (or left) hand to write, lift things etc all day too. Does that mean that we should all be ambidextrous? Using your stronger side to do things is just a natural thing. Admittidly it is frustrating to watch in footie but what can you do
    in fairness, one the of the worlds greatest footballers had one foot - maradona.

Maybe needs to be edited. He used to use his left foot alot but I've watched footage and am pretty sure he had 2 feet ;) .
    Sorry weak effort at humour. I'll get my coat

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Im sure theres a science (L and R brain thing) to it but i cant kick with my left, honestly if the ball is not moving on the ground and i run and kick with my left i will fall over. Some times i have luckily cleared with my lewft but only if the ball is in the air and the clearance isnt really far.

But if i was pro i would spend at least 2 hours a day just kicking with my left (in private so the other players didnt see me fall over).

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

KdjaC wrote:
    Im sure theres a science (L and R brain thing) to it but i cant kick with my left, honestly if the ball is not moving on the ground and i run and kick with my left i will fall over. Some times i have luckily cleared with my lewft but only if the ball is in the air and the clearance isnt really far

Personally, ifa ball drops to my left foot in the box, I'm hitting it. My left isn't as good as my right, but i can kick with it, so ill use it. For £40,000 a week I'd fling myself at it head first if I was asked too.

BillyBoy wrote:
    People use their right (or left) hand to write, lift things etc all day too. Does that mean that we should all be ambidextrous? Using your stronger side to do things is just a natural thing. Admittidly it is frustrating to watch in footie but what can you do

Thats completely different though. If something you want to pick up is on your left, will you reach across yourself to pickit up with your right or just pick it up with your left hand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭jacool

I once played for a team only when I learnt to kick with my left foot. there was a line of right wingers ahead of me so I just practised and practised with my left and got in the team, taking corners on both sides, using opposite feet as required (you know what i mean) and i was on 40 grand less than 40 grand ! with all the showboating and goal celebrations they practise, you'd think they would learn to kick with the other foot ! it is annoying.
    my favourite trick was to belt up the left wing for 30 minutes whipping in crosses ,and then when the defender tried to turn to onto your right foot, just glide past him on the right. the look on their faces must have been a picture, i wouldn't know, i'd be gone by then ! and i'm crap by the way !! i still play now but old age has turned me into a defender, but i do play left back, as there's no competition for that position. OK waffling over !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Djibril Cisse might as well have literally only one foot!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Im sure theres a science (L and R brain thing)
    Kicking a ball with your weaker leg is all about balance.
    If you practice your balance,standing on one leg it is a big help.
    I have 2 good feet and its down to one thing practice.
    I damaged my right ankle a few years ago with the result it hurt my foot when I kicked the ball with my right foot for about 4 months.
    I just practiced with my left instead .
    Best thing that ever happened .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Steve_o wrote:
    Djibril Cisse might as well have literally only one foot!!!

He could have 4 and he'd still be crap.

Tbh I'm not even talking about accuracy here. Players with a ball in front of them in the box should be able to get off some sort of shot with their weaker foot from day one, it's not that hard, all your looking to do is make contact and direct the ball in the general direction of the goal. You have a far better chance getting 4 half shots off towards the goal with your weak foot than none with your better foot becaus your pulling it accross yourslef.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I damaged my right ankle a few years ago with the result it hurt my foot when I kicked the ball with my right foot for about 4 months.
    I just practiced with my left instead .
    Best thing that ever happened .

yeah same thing happened me, couldn't use my right foot for bout 3/4 months when I was 15, it paid dividends cos I can play with both feet now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya prime example was Cissé against United last week. It really annoys me to see them making awkward shots like that when they could just swing their weaker leg at it and maybe get a goal. But ah well, what can ya do

Advertisement