Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns , eh?

Options
  • 24-01-2006 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

obviously if i want a gun i'll need a licence.
    so a few questions;

how do i get one?

if i get one what can i shoot?

can i carry it around with me , say in my car and on the street or in my house?

can i shoot another person should the situation arise? (ie. a burglar)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

The fact that you would even ask that question tells me...

A.. You probably won't get a licence.
    B... You probably shouldn't get a licence..
    C.. You may be in the wrong forum.. this is a "Sport shooting" forum.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There are loads of threads about getting a licence here bu the basics are:

1) Buy a gun in a gun shop
    2) Apply for a licence

To get a lincence you will need either permission to shoot on land or be part of a club. Best first step is go talk to your local firearms dealer and firearms Garda.

You can shoot targets or hunt.

Im sure somone can fill you in on all the details of the last 2 but I dont think its a good idea to carry your gun around on the streets though...

Generally speaking you cannt shoot a burglar or anyone else. Self defence is not a vaild reason for owning a gun. Shooting someone in self defence pretty much requires your life to be in extreme danger (ie there is a gun in your face).

If you want a gun to stick down your pants and walk around gangsta style or for self defence id say forget it now before you even start...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Rew wrote:
    If you want a gun to stick down your pants and walk around gangsta style

Whatta-devil! ...who told you!!

ahh thanks for the replies , was curiosity more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Rew wrote:
    I dont think its a good idea to carry your gun around on the streets though...
    Nope, as that's technically carrying an offensive weapon. Your firearm has to be in it's case when in public (or in the boot of your car or otherwise not on display). Can't take it on public transport either (contravenes a road traffic act from the 60s, posted the reference before but can't remember it now).

I have heard people mention that the wording of our firearms cert could be read as being a concealed carry licence. Personally though, I'd rather not find myself in court arguing that I shouldn't go to jail for carrying an offensive weapon with my sole defence being the way someone worded an operational form back in the 20's, while the DPP was quoting statutes at me...
    Being burgled does not place your life in jeopardy, so no, you can't shoot a burglar. Not without some significant jailtime afterwards, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

Quote Sparks> Not without doing some jail time afterwards anyway.

Only if the body is found people!!
    considering that the burglar had no right to be at your house in the first place i doubt that he broadcast it that he was going to burgal your house so why would anybody come to you looking for him or asking questions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Tom, what you're saying is that you'd murder someone over some piece of property that was easily replaced - and that you'd risk your own life to do so. Dunno about you, but I don't happen to think I have any material possession that's worth more than someone's life. And the law agrees. And frankly, this whole topic has nothing to do with the purposes of this forum!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement