Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bumper "Sharp edges", pedal rubbers...

Options
  • 25-01-2006 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know where I can get pedal rubbers for a Hyundai Accent (1998)? I just need the brake pedal rubber, I've tried eBay but I can't find any for an accent, or any generic type. Looked at a few other brands, none seemed to match... It's for the NCT, and the slit is about an inch long by 1mm thick, maybe less. When I pull the edges together it's barely noticable and looks as if it doesn't go through to the other side... I was going to try shoving some silacone into the slit and dirtying it to do a repair job, but it'l probably just split again so I may as well get a new one...

Also, two other issues which I need to sort:
    One, the space where the front fog lights should go - on the front there is a blank where the fog lights should go. On the driver side the blank is fine, on the pass side the blank is cracked, theres a hole in the blank too - so fairly badly cracked. The blank doesn't just push out (from what I can see), but would I pass the NCT if I just cut out the blank and sanded down the edges? There would be a hole there, but will it fail me?
    If, on the offchance, there is anybody out there with a set of Accent fogs (or a brake rubber for that matter) to spare I'm all ears!
    Certainly not a danger to anybodies life, but you know the NCT. :rolleyes:
    Finally, my bumper on one side sticks out about an inch from the bumper on the other side. Perfectly well attached, no danger to any other road user, but still not NCT worthey (this is the type of thing you'd want to be looking for to fix!). Anybody got any ideas on how I'll get it back in again? It's kind of sitting wrong... I'll post pictures if need be tomorrow.

Thanks for any help, it's much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

for the pedals why not buy the sports covers that are avb. everywhere .
    try halfords, they shoudltn be more than 30E for a full set.

i have them on my car and passed my NCT twice - didnt even know they checked the pedals ?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

something like this

2be7c25240463824009d5793e139afa3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

You could try a scrap yard/car breakers for the rubbers and fog inserts. I'm sure the rubbers from many cars should fit. (If you fit front fog lights to cover the holes, they will be required to be working).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Pedal rubbers - I might try some of the local breakers I guess, yeah - they might have something that'd fit...
    C_Breeze - how did you pass the NCT with pedals with no rubbers? I've heard stories of people failing with these third party add ons... (That, and I don't particularly like the brash look of boy racer pedals, no offense... :P)

Re the fog lights - that rules out adding fogs then, doubt the wiring would be there already for a 98 accent, I know the newer ones have it already wired and you just need to connect them up.
    The blanks - like I said, they are blanks - but they are attached to the bumper, they can't be pushed out - have to be cut out somehow.
    Any idea will my method of cutting out the blank and sanding the edges work?

Anybody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

fog lights are not checked in an NCT test. once there are no sharp edges your ok. if the bumper is secure and not a sharp edge you should be fine. as said above the aluminium pedal covers are perfectly acceptable once attached securely.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Why not try a hyundai dealer for the pedal rubber. they're only about €8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Litcagral

greglo23 wrote:
    fog lights are not checked in an NCT test. once there are no sharp edges your ok. if the bumper is secure and not a sharp edge you should be fine. as said above the aluminium pedal covers are perfectly acceptable once attached securely.

Apologies for misleading information. Had a look at the NCT manual and it appears that fog lights are only checked out (ie beam allignment etc) if they are connected up. If not connected, it appears that they are just checked to ensure that they are inserted correctly. Seems a bit strange but I suppose it's because they are not compulsory.

www.ncts.ie/nctmanual.pdf (pages 45/46)

Thanks for the replies folks! I'll just get the blanks knocked out and sanded smooth. The pedal rubber - nearest dealer is an hour away and I'm in school all day 'till 8, so I'm going to try the breakers on Friday.

Finally, I mentioned the bumper problem - perfectly well secured, but on the side of the wheel arch it sticks out an inch more... Is there any standard fix job for this kind of thing? I heard something of heating the bumper and pushing it back into shape, but this might be all airy fairy stuff...

Not going to be an easy bit to fix, especially when the manual is ambigious on the subject - "Structural components must not be insecure" - they're not.
    "Body not sitting squarely due to distortion" - an inch of it? Doesn't make sense to me...
    I'll get there! Thanks again for the replies.

Advertisement