Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband and Dect Phone

• 25-01-2006 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭

Ok,

I was giving a neighbour a hand at setting up his BT Broadband, and couldn't get connected, I connected his ADSL BT Wireless Modem to the supplied line filter and connected it into one of the two Eircom installed phone points, I powered up the modem and it looked like it was going to work, the laptop could was connecting to the modem and was visable under wireless connections, but when I tried to login using his account details, I was getting an unable to connect back on it, we rang BT support, talked to a chap in the UK and he told me to put a filter on the other socket point, which I did but still no joy, he then asked if there was a dect phone in the house and there was so he told us to plug it out and bobs your uncle it sorted the problem out, I asked him was there a workaround for the dect problem and he said not that he knew of. So my neighbour will have to plug out his Dect phone whenever he wants to use BT Broadband!!!!!

This doesn't sound right surely there must be some kind of workaround????

Anyone experience this with BT or other provider????

Cheers

Snake (Thank God for NTL) ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

No.

Had a DECT phone and BT BB.

I plugged the splitter into the main socket. I then plugged the DECT phone into the 'phone' side of the splitter; into the 'DSL' side I plugged an extension cable which ran to the BB modem.

All worked ok.

But I believe you may need to have the modem connected to the first socket in the house. I had a second socket upstairs, and it worked ok (using a filter also).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

From what I've read, 1013 is correct. The BB modem must be plugged into the main phone socket and not an extension socket with all devices filtered.

BTW, what wireless modem are BT supplying?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,853 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Extra telephone devices like Dect phones, fax machines, Sky box, even when filtered, can reduce the quality of the line. If the line was already borderline quality for DSL, then the extra device might push it to far.

Make sure that all telephone devices (including the dect) are filtered and that the modem is attached (using the BB filter) to the main socket. It "may" work then, but depending on line quality it mightn't.

BTW this isn't really BT's fault, it is Eircoms fault for the quality of your lines. You would experience the same problem with any bitstream ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Well I did try it on the main socket with no joy, the estate I live in is pretty new so I would have thought the lines where pretty good. It works fine if you just plug in a normal wired phone.

Cheers

Snake ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have a DECT phone (from Lidl) on the main socket in the hallway, and the BT modem plugged into an extended socket upstairs, and all works well. I might unplug the DECT phone though and see do I get any better speed. My upload is a bit poor (getting round about 220k when it should be 384). Must try the downstairs socket too and see what that's like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement