Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When you don't care enough

Options
  • 25-01-2006 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭

Today was a bad day for me and provided me with food for thought (which almost never happens). So I slept in and missed my morning lecture, which is pretty much a weekly event for me, but more importantly than that, I have an essay and a presentation both due in tomorrow and...I've done neither.

I'm basically p*ssing away marks that I need for my exams yet I don't seem to really care. I care enough to acknowledge it's not right on my part but I've made no effort to actually do either one.

I don't know if I have deep emotional issues or if I'm just simply a lazy muppet but when Wednesday comes round, I won't have the work that I need to have done.

Does anyone else get like this?

How can I make myself care enough? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

From past experience, there's very little you can do to motivate yourself for exams (some people are really well motivated, others couldn't give a flying cabbage about impending doom), in my case, i just hope for the best, that ill find motivation before it's too late.

Oh, and destroy/burn whatever device grants you internet access, be that modem, wireless router or your local eircom exchange. The internet will be the death of us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

Come on man, just get off your ass and do it. I often leave things 'til the day their due but I always get them in, no matter how half arsedly. Not only are you racking up points which will help you immensely come exam time, but if you were to fail the department will be able to see that you aren't a lazy git who did nothing all year. (At least, that's what they'll think.;) )

I find the hardest part is getting it started. Maybe just force yourself to sit down, even for 5 mins and make a go of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Come on man, just get off your ass and do it. I often leave things 'til the day their due but I always get them in, no matter how half arsedly. Not only are you racking up points which will help you immensely come exam time, but if you were to fail the department will be able to see that you aren't a lazy git who did nothing all year. (At least, that's what they'll think.;) )

I find the hardest part is getting it started. Maybe just force yourself to sit down, even for 5 mins and make a go of it.

In the past, panic mode would set in and I'd do it but I didn't even go into panic mode this time!

Why am I on the interent at 2:55 when I've a 9am lecture?!

Mr Roger Bongos is right (there's a sentence I never thought I'd say) - I have to stop using this bloody internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭pretty*monster

Well, there are carears seminars running every tuesday night for the next few weeks. Going to one that your interested in might motivate you to work hard to get that good degree that you'll need. Worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭*yoda*

the first step is the hardest seriously. we have all been there and it sucks it really does but whatever takes the pressure off exam time and stops regrets. hope you got to start into it for today anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I know it sounds incredibly mercenary, but money is a big motivator. Just think of the fees you'll have to pay next year if you don't pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

I find that when I lose my motivation I just have to read some of my more interesting material. Then I get pulled in. For the Christmas exams, I nearly did nothing until I read the Microeconomic view of crime in society. Then, I was hooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Just make a list of things that need to be done, sit down in a quiet place in the library with your lunch with you and turn off the internet

If you're reading this then get off the net!....go study!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

No need to be so dramatic about missing lectures or an essay or two.

Personally, i'll do very little all year and go to very little lectures.Eventually in febuary i'll pick up the work rate and do those essays i've put off and have some bullsh'it excuse to why they're late.

Best way through the exams is tackling ALL the past questions from the previous years, and starting that around march should see you do very well in the exams.

I know that what I learn in my degree, will have little relevance to what i'll do for a living, so I coast, and hope that the (2:1) BA I plan to get will open some doors for me.

Have a enjoyable college experience man, dont get neurotic about whether handing an essay in late means you have issues.Just do a bit of work in your final few months in college and you'll be cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Dont worry mr nice guy lack of motivation happens to the best of us!!The worst thing you can do though is stay up late worrying about your lack of study and then getting up late the next day.If i was you I would take the whole weekend off and just totally forget about college,do something you really enjoy doing.I like heading into town,reading a book in kylemore and then heading to the cinema!Then on monday you can come back with all guns blazing.If your not in the mood for study there's no use just pretending,take the day off,do something fun and you'll feel alot more positive about study the next day.

For me,i wouldnt be able to plan my week without some sort of plan.Its good to set a timetable for yourself.Not just a timetable of study but a timetable to do fun things you enjoy too!I always leave just a maximum of three hours study in the evening,cos its quality not quantity!Then after the three hours I go off to open mic night or something i really enjoy so the next day in lectures and library doesnt seem so bad then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

I think its more a case of self-discipline than motivation. We all lack motivation at times (prime example sitting right here typing this :) ), but thats when we have to be able to force ourselves to work. Maybe start by writing up a structure for your essay and work on from there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭m1ke

Break the work into smaller pieces and do a small bit everyday. Like this - 3 days of reading the material and making a few small notes and 3 days of writing 500 words a day or whatever. No one can possibly sit down and write a good essay in one day, it will be an absolute piece of crap. Also, don't listen to any BS from people who claim you can do nothing and still get through easily... there's no point in doing everything half assed because once you're in the habit everything else will suffer as a consequence.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I know that story pretty well MNG. Just start doing it, and you'll find that it's not so bed. Right now, I should be doing a 5,000-word essay that's due in about a week. So far, 0 words written, but I'm off to make a start now at least.

Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

Mr Nice Guy im guessing your in college for at least 3 years, yeah? I get the same way, im fed up of doing 5 semesters of exams and just think it will pass and ill be alright. But dont let this fool you you make a half arsed attempt and hang around wit the do gooders and youll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

No wonder you're in Arts.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sangre wrote:

I'm not helping Arts student's reputations am I?

Thanks for the advice everyone. I woke up late today and didn't bother going in (cue boos) but I have set up a study plan for myself that I am determined to follow and there'll be no more net access for me past 12 o'clock hopefully. I might head to one of those semianrs next week too.

I need to sort myself out before I blow my year before February hits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Are you happy with your course Mr.Nice Guy?

You have to just kick yourself up the arse. Get a blaring alarm clock that will get you up in the mornings would be a start. I would find it worrying that your not doing or handing in your coursework late. That IMO is a recipe for disaster and you've got to change that now because the last thing you want is to end up in Blackrock in August. Also if you get through this year and adopt your lack of work routine in 3rd year you will be screwed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Good motivation for final year students is the fact that you can't do autumn repeats if you fail, you have to repeat the year.

Everybody gets like that MNG, and the more it piles up the more you think "Ah f*ck it anyway.." Just think about how good it'll be to get out of here with a good degree and get into a job you like or maybe a post-grad course.

Also
    Sangre wrote:

I think you'll find that a lack of motivation isn't exclusive to Arts students. The OP was looking for advice, if you have none to offer then I suggest you refrain from posting on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I did a 4,000 word essay in about 7 hours. Including all my research. So if I can do it, anyone can. Be strong - or drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Also MNG, you're half way through it all so a little work will go a long way. I'm at the ''is it worth it all'' stage at the moment knowing I'll probably never be able to afford a house and generally been freaked out about the future but TBH you can either sink or swim in life and you've just gotta keep plugging away because as long as you give it your best shot you won't have cheated yourself or abilities.
    Blush_01 wrote:
    I did a 4,000 word essay in about 7 hours. Including all my research. So if I can do it, anyone can. Be strong - or drunk.

4,000 words in 7 hours :eek: I'll take the drunk option!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I think you'll find that a lack of motivation isn't exclusive to Arts students. The OP was looking for advice, if you have none to offer then I suggest you refrain from posting on this thread.

Yeah if only there was some sort of forum where one could post about issues like this. You know? Ones of a personal nature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

Sangre wrote:
    Yeah if only there was some sort of forum where one could post about issues like this. You know? Ones of a personal nature.

You mean an issue specific to his time in UCD?

Of course....how silly of me! Why would he post in the UCD forum frequented by UCD students who can understand and offer advice on what he is going through, when he could go and post on a forum which isn't exactly student based.

Back on topic now, thanks!

Advertisement