Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Upgrade Disaster

• 25-01-2006 12:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Just checked with irishisptest.com and I'm now clocking the grand speed of 415kbps down and 217kbps up and I'm a little bit teed off. I was originally on Eircom's Home Starter 1MB package and was getting good speeds. Since this so-called 2MB upgrade, my previous 1MB has been cut in half. Less than half. When I logon to my router the reading is 512 down 256 up. I've reset it and upgraded the firmware but no joy. Anyone any ideas before I bite the bullet and call the joyless bastards that are Eircom?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you will get nowhere its a 256k package and you are getting 415k ...is pretty much all they will say to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Cecco

I have the business plus package(4MB) and I'm getting 367kbps downloads and 323 uploads at irisisptest, not to mention the disastrous pings I'm getting!:eek: :confused:

My connection was perfect before this upgrade.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Teamhair

Sponge Bob wrote:
    you will get nowhere its a 256k package and you are getting 415k ...is pretty much all they will say to you

256 is the upload speed- my router says I should be getting 512 down along with the 256 up, which I'm not too far off, but I'm not bothered about that. I'm pissed off cos I'm paying for 1MB down and was really looking forward to being upgraded to 2MB along with the extra download allowance. Feckin' 417kbps down is rubbish! Bring back my old speeds- all is forgiven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

Cecco wrote:
    I have the business plus package(4MB) and I'm getting 367kbps downloads and 323 uploads at irisisptest, not to mention the disastrous pings I'm getting!:eek: :confused:

My connection was perfect before this upgrade.:mad:

Lots of others are experiencing similar problems so you aren't alone. For me yesterday (on Digiweb) during the day was fine but evening was bad. Don't know what it was like during the day today but this evening it's a joke.

Well, all I can do is keep an eye on it. If the speeds don't get back up to close to to even 1MB down by the weekend they can take their 6 month contract and shove it. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay broadband rates for something thats not much better than bleedin' ISDN. Eircom. I swear to god, thieving bastards. Not a happy camper here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Teamhair wrote:
    Well, all I can do is keep an eye on it. If the speeds don't get back up to close to to even 1MB down by the weekend they can take their 6 month contract and shove it. I'll be damned if I'm going to pay broadband rates for something thats not much better than bleedin' ISDN. Eircom. I swear to god, thieving bastards. Not a happy camper here.

If it makes you feel any better its the very same for me. i wwas clocking 98.0kbps down and 313kbps up a couple of hours ago. I'm pretty sure we ar not the only ones too. I'm gonna give them a couple more days to sort them out themselves, if not after than im gonna call them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

everyone is having problems regularly since the upgrade on Saturday, its been a widespread disaster imo. I would rather go back to my old speeds too at least they worked.. im supposed to be on 3meg but i rarely even get my old 2 meg speeds.. more like 1meg and below on average... i think the network is choked with these new upgrades.. too many downloaders and not enough bandwidth to go around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

Gonzo wrote:
    everyone is having problems regularly since the upgrade on Saturday, its been a widespread disaster imo. I would rather go back to my old speeds too at least they worked.. im supposed to be on 3meg but i rarely even get my old 2 meg speeds.. more like 1meg and below on average... i think the network is choked with these new upgrades.. too many downloaders and not enough bandwidth to go around.

Out of interest....how are Eircom gonna deal with this do you know?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If I recall correctly there were a lot of problems after the last speed upgrade and it all settled down after a bout a fortnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭cramp

I too am getting problems in Sutton Exhange,
    saterday was 2.5mb down, sun/mon 1mb!!!! Tuesday wasd 750k, and it was turning on/off.....now tues/wed morning i have 1.5mb
    btw i was on 2mb package which is suposed to be 3mb now!!!

cramp

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

There are perhaps a few different issues? Teamhair is having problems synching with the exchange at higher speeds. Everyone is having problems with pings and speeds outside of Ireland, but that's a different problem.

I'm also on the Bray exchange and I've lost ~30kbps since the upgrade but obviously gained in upload speed. I think that's because I'm quite far from the exchange and I don't think it has anything to do with the Bray exchange as such. Teamhair, what are your SNR and line attenuation values like?

SNR is 3 down 6 up (****e), line attenuation is 63.50 down 31.50 up. Just restarted my connection- still no improvement. I feel like I'm moving slowly into bad dial-up. Really, really frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

cramp wrote:
    I too am getting problems in Sutton Exhange,
    saterday was 2.5mb down, sun/mon 1mb!!!! Tuesday wasd 750k, and it was turning on/off.....now tues/wed morning i have 1.5mb
    btw i was on 2mb package which is suposed to be 3mb now!!!

cramp

I'm on Sutton exchange to, but my connection is grand. I think the problem is your line can't take the new rate and it's continually trying to negotiate the fastest speed. If they don't fix it soon you should downgrade your package to the previous speed that worked and save yourself some money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 the gobbler

i am on bray exchange,,downloading a file at 320kbps,100kbps faster than i was getting on 2mb line,exchange must be ok, although, without download accelerator when i'm on wireless get 98kbps download,,but using network port on router get max d/l speed,,P2P is ok though, wireless and net port,,a bit odd,,anyone see this before?
    Your line must be buggered teamhair,,best off downgrading back to 2mb,save yourself some money

best off downgrading back to 2mb

Was originally signed up for the Home Starter 1MB package and was getting really great speeds- I'd be really happy to get back to that! Eircom can keep their so-called 2MB upgrade. At least until they figure out how to roll it out properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭morlan

In Shankill here, no problems. 1Mb up to 2Mb. Eircom can still suck my fat dick though.

I have to say, my feelings towards Eircom after years of loathing were starting to become quite friendly. I moved into a new place a few months ago and on deciding that I could afford broadband (I really couldn't, but hey!) I thought it would be major hassle to get the line reconnected. But no! I got to speak to a real person and in five minutes it was done. Line connected. I got home that evening and had dial-up. Next day I ordered broadband through the Eircom website. Three days later the package arrived. Whats more, when it was all connected I really did have broadband. I couldn't believe it. So I was feeling pretty well-disposed to Eircom and told people so. Now I'm with you mate. Except the dick part, but thats only cos I haven't got one.

With that line quality, you're lucky to have ADSL at all.

I think the poor quality of the line is a recent thing- my speeds before this supposed upgrade were fine. Brilliant, in fact. I think this upgrade has overloaded the network and we're all going to be fecked for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭fasty

I'm on the Bray exchange too... Was getting great speeds over the weekend but they seemed a little erratic last night. Just put it down to congestion to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Teamhair wrote:
    I think the poor quality of the line is a recent thing- my speeds before this supposed upgrade were fine. Brilliant, in fact. I think this upgrade has overloaded the network and we're all going to be fecked for a long time.
    Unplug everything from the phone line and make sure the BB modem is plugged into the MAIN phone socket (not an extension socket). Check the readings again and see if they improve.

I wish I could say that simple congestion were the case, but I tried it again earlyish this morning and it was even worse than last night. Worse than dial-up even! Pages were taking forever to load! I'll give it a few days to a week to improve, but then thats it- I'll raise hell!!!

Ouch! I'll test mine when I get home. I'm hoping it's not broken tonight... I have an online fixure in World of Warcraft.

I always find that irishisptest.com is being hammered, I often get good results but when everyone's in a testing frenzy it doesn't help.

I did a few test downloads from heanet and they were fine, pinging jolt and eircom seemed a bit slower but not unpleasant but a lot of US based sites seemed slow to load.

I just decided not to bother with anything net related and watched TV instead.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my connection is alot better than last night but still nothing to write home about, its a rollercoaster of speeds varying from 600kbs up to 2.6mbs, its rarely above 2mbs.

Teamhair wrote:

The speed that your modem connects with has nothing to do with congestion. That's all down to either configuration or line quality. If you're actually connected at exactly 512/128, it could be a config error on Eircom's part. Normally the ADSL modem would synch at some arbitrary speed within the max speed. Mine's synching at 2016kbps for instance. Used to be 2048kpbs, but I'm guessing the increased upload speed has robbed some download speed. I'm looking around for a high quality ADSL modem to see if that will make a difference.

fasty wrote:
    I just decided not to bother with anything net related and watched TV instead.

Yeah, well I can see why, but I'm paying good money that I really can't afford for a high-speed service that I need. My family live in Canada and a lot of nights I use MSN with a webcam. Broadband is a luxury that I had to make sacrifices for- I had to stop shopping in Marks & Spencers! I want my speeds back! Even the 1MB would be fine! They can keep their 2MB.

We're all paying good money for the service, I feel the same and am concerned but pulling my hair out at 10pm after 5 days of good service won't help anyone. I'll get in touch with them in due course...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

ADSL Link
    Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed
    3072 kbps 384 kbps
    Line Attenuation
    38 db 12.5 db
    Noise Margin
    13db 14 db

Those are my figures. UTV/Bray Exchange

irishisptest is giving me 2.56mbps/320kbps/16ms/99% QOS about 50% of the time and the other 50% of the time it starts of at approx 2.5mbps/320kbps etc and drops to 1.5mbps/297kbps/500ms/2% QOS.

So my Netgear DG834G router is syncing at the correct speed 100% of the time but my QOS is up and down like a yoyo. I reckon the various providers just haven't gotten the extra backhaul bandwidth in place yet.

So while a lot of peoples problems including my own atm are down to backhaul IMO which will be put in place and sorted eventually, a lot of others problems are down to the new speeds going beyond what there modems can sync to given their distance from the exchange. Nothing those people can do about getting faster speeds because their lines simply won't support it. Best they can do is see can they force their modems to sync to a lower speed permanently to resolve QOS. This might be worth it if their modem is capable of stably syncing to a speed at least half way between 2 products whereas if they are only getting stable speeds closer to a lower package then they should probably downgrade there subscription to the lower speed product anyway and save a few quid.

ie. I'm on CLicksilver+ syncing at the full 3 mbits so its worth me paying Clicksilver+prices (Well its not due to utv's crap caps but lets say it is worth it for the sake of arguement and this example :D )

Say someone can sync stably at 2.7mbit. Well while you're not getting full speed the T&C's of the product do state upto and the fact your line can't go any faster is just one of those things. So in this case it may still be worth your while paying + prices. You may need or want the 384kbps upload for example.

If However you can only sync at 2.25mbps then its probably not worth paying plus prices for non plus speeds and you should downgrade to a non plus 2mb product.

Blaster99 wrote:
    If you're actually connected at exactly 512/128, it could be a config error on Eircom's part. Normally the ADSL modem would synch at some arbitrary speed within the max speed.

The router says 512/256, but I'm speed tests say I'm getting speeds between 400-450 down and around 230 up. Speeds down before the upgrade were excellent and a lot closer to the 1MB I had originally subscribed to. Don't know where this 512/256 came from. Looks like my upload speed has doubled from 128 but my down speed has halved. Man, this sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Teamhair wrote:
    Looks like my upload speed has doubled from 128 but my down speed has halved.
    Have you any of the following Eircom Phonewatch or Sky digibox and sky+ or a Display Phone plugged into that line....even if they always worked fine before !

can you disconnect them (turn off sky boxes completely and physically disconnect from phone line only ) and power the modem off for 10 secs and on again .

now is it better than 512/256 ??

Advertisement