Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Query about VRT??

Options
  • 25-01-2006 2:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭

ive recently ben told that the customs charge you extra for having additional things on your car... sunroof, 6 speed gear box etc.
    does anyone know if this is true?
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

Not in my experience anyway (I'm talking about the VRT people, customs isn't an issue if you're privately importing from UK anyway as far as my experience goes). All they've ever checked with me is the engine and chassis codes match the documentation and the mileage on the clock reads as stated.

I suppose you wouldn't want to have any obvious costly additional accessories on the car just in case you get some individual in particular who wants to take out their frustrations on you though so if it's possible to remove them for standard items I suppose you could if it's not too much trouble just for peace of mind. Some of the people that work there are right ignorant bollixes whereas one or two seem to be ordinary decent people. In my experience of course...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Misticles wrote:
    ive recently ben told that the customs charge you extra for having additional things on your car... sunroof, 6 speed gear box etc.
    does anyone know if this is true?
    thanks

There's a problem with being told about things like that, a lot of people hear all sorts of rumours about things and get worried and frustrated. Often the person who told you it is either talkin crap or is just misinformed. Theres no rreason why you should be charged for having "extras" on your car.
    Unless, as one other poster here before me said, someone is looking to work out thier frustration on you. In which case, thet's improper practice and they should be complained about. Some people i've delt with when bringing in cars, taxing cars etc, filling out various state forms (all those government type jobs really), seem to have very poor job satisfaction and there's a cultre developing where they often deliberately make thing difficult for you and behave in a hagh handed way in order to make themselve feel omportant. On the other hand, there are many people in those areas who are pleasant and helpful.
    The extras thing doesnt hold water with me i'm afraid (sorry about the rant there by the way), I've imported various cars with loads of "extras". For example: Most recently i've imported a old '89 BMW 7 series with every possible bmw extra and some after market stuff too, A '90 325i bmw with some pretty serious modifications including replica M3 bodywork and a really heavily modified opel ascona which was basically a barely-legal road going rally car. Never got charged extra on any of those for having different/ upgraded spec. They just checked the numbers and papers etc and off i went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

If you have a nearly new BMW or Merc they will pay attention to the extras. Other cars slip under the radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

Mailman wrote:
    If you have a nearly new BMW or Merc they will pay attention to the extras. Other cars slip under the radar.

It's not about slipping under the radar really, as the reason they look at extras is not to charge specifically for extras but to work out if it's market value is higher than is suggested to them. This is because the vrt and customs type stuff is all done off of the value of the car. People used to be bringing in really high spec models and saying they were the cheapest model. for example Audi A6 base line is about 7,000 cheaper than a fully specced up sportline or comfortline model with all the toys

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

If extras are relevant to the value they will be assessed afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

The Spec of your car will be taken into account when calculating the VRT as that will appear on the origional V5. i.e. If you are bringing in a Mondeo you will pay a bit more to VRT a Zetec than you would an LX . However, whatever extras you add on after the origional spec are not taken into account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

The people in the VRT office don't know what comes as standard with each trim level. the only reason they check BMWs and Mercs is because the have been told to check out for extras on these models. Other models could be stacked to the gills with little toys and gizmos and they won't bother to check because the bureaucrats haven't told them to check other cars. You could steam the badges of a Ford XXX Ghia and put LX badges on it and if the trim level isn't too obvious on the original documents then they'll register it here as an LX saving you hundreds of Euro.

A friend imported a BMW320D and they listed out all the extras and bumped up the VRT accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

My understanding, and it is only an understanding, but nowadays there is no discretion, there is only the online calculator, which is the same url as you and I can access, in fact it helps if you have noted the correct reference number for your car off the website.

if the v5 doesn't show a model spec level then you can basically claim bog basic spec (and steam the badges off)

If they do try and load you, for extras, ask for a copy of the list of extras and how much value they add to every car, cos it's not on the website anywhere.

but it very much depends on who you meet on the day, i've a mate who's imported three cars, and each time the guy at the counter has just taken the details and keyed em up.

I've brought one in and they had to see the chassis number stamped into the metal, on a plate wasn't good enough, didn't care less about spec, just the chassis number in steel.

different peoples will give different results, there is still a major lack of consistency in the VROs but it is getting better imho

Advertisement