Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The O' Donaghue thread locked

Options
  • 25-01-2006 11:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭

Twice!

From what I can gather a Mod wasnt happy with the way the debate (that he was taking part in) was gonig and it was locked.

A new one was started, and locked again.

Why is anything remotely interesting, debatable or - shock horror - controversial locked around here?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

IvaBigWun wrote:
    A new one was started, and locked again.
    Because the mod stated specifically that another thread was not to be started.
    Anyway, that kind of a discussion is more suited to Humanities don't you think?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

WizZard wrote:
    Anyway, that kind of a discussion is more suited to Humanities don't you think?

Then it should have been moved there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can you link to the thread(s) in question?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Is it possible that the thread contained certain unproven allegations in relation to a recent criminal trial which could get boards in a lot of trouble ?

stevenmu wrote:
    Is it possible that the thread contained certain unproven allegations in relation to a recent criminal trial which could get boards in a lot of trouble ?
    Well, that's what I was thinking, but I can't find said thread. As it is, it's pretty much OK to say "The Sun said..." or "According to RTE....", but it's not OK to say "He is...." or "I know he did...".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

stevenmu wrote:

Quite probably... and due to the nature of this highly emotive case, it caused many posters to vent their own anger against the perceived short sentence and new revelations.
    Many come on pointing "facts" with no backup and it was a mess, and there was abuse vented to those with opposing views... and rightly locked.
    This is always going to be expected from AH.

There is a good thread in the News/Media forum discussion the media handling of the case and now the new revelations, and how it's affecting public opinion.

Humanities or politics could also host threads on the legal and moral implications of this major case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

The thread had disintegrated into baseless specualtions, should have been locked sooner IMO.

IvaBigWun wrote:
    Then it should have been moved there.
    I've located them. The threads were useless. There reaches a certain point where a thread contains too much crap to dump in another forum. Besides, we're not here to serve you. Locking or moving a thread is at our discretion. I'll often lock a thread in lieu of moving it. If I'm going to move every misposted thread, then why would people bother posting in the correct forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think that it shouldnt have been locked. Most of the country is aware of the Holohan/O'Donoghue case which erupted in public interest due to what went on it court yesterday.

A thread was started on it in After Hours but when I logged this morning only to find the thread locked! I looked for threads on it elsewhere, but couldnt find any. Is there a legal/crime forum?

Locking the thread is clearly over-reaction as it is a subject being discussed up and down Ireland today yet here on a discussion board the topic is banned ?!?! That just does not make sense.

I see its in the News/Media forum and will probably join in there.

I realise that other people requesed the thread to be locked but that is no reason to lock it. The discussion was barely getting going ...... and is its a complex one there are finer points of legal detail which need to be outlined.

redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

redspider wrote:
    its a complex one there are finer points of legal detail which need to be outlined.

redspider

You really think you're going to get a "complex" argument on the "finer points" of "legal detail" from AH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

redspider wrote:

Keep it on topic there - It's specially for the media handling of the issues raised.
    Any venting of anger over the sentance or unsubstantiated claims will not be tolerated.
    redspider wrote:
    The discussion was barely getting going ...... and is its a complex one there are finer points of legal detail which need to be outlined.
    It got going alright... and just went out of control and was rightly locked.
    It's probably best to have specific threads analysing different areas of the cases and issues raised, as I've already pointed out.
    I don't think there's a legal forum, but politics or humanities might be suitable depending on the angle.
    freelancer wrote:
    You really think you're going to get a "complex" argument on the "finer points" of "legal detail" from AH?
    exactly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

whiskeyman wrote:
    It got going alright... and just went out of control and was rightly locked.
    It's probably best to have specific threads analysing different areas of the cases and issues raised, as I've already pointed out.
    I don't think there's a legal forum, but politics or humanities might be suitable depending on the angle.

You agree that it should be discussable somewhere. Therefore, it would make sense that a moderator moved it to an appropriate forum rather than locking a discussion already in full swing. Just locking it a very easy way out.

And I thought that After Hours was a place that more or less anything could be discussed? Locking it seems a bit like "thought police" attitude to me.

redspider

redspider wrote:
    You agree that it should be discussable somewhere. Therefore, it would make sense that a moderator moved it to an appropriate forum rather than locking a discussion already in full swing. Just locking it a very easy way out.
    "Already in full swing" reads: "Already full of rants and legally dodgy posts". If the thread was started in the appropriate forum, and the same posts made, the thread would be locked for breaching the charter of that forum. Hence, the thread shouldn't be in AH, and it can't be moved. Locked.
    And I thought that After Hours was a place that more or less anything could be discussed? Locking it seems a bit like "thought police" attitude to me.
    No. After Hours is where you discuss anything that doesn't already fall under an existing category. The actual reasons for locking the thread were given when it was locked. That's not very "Though Police" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

anything *That doesnt fit anywhere*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

redspider wrote:
    I think that it shouldnt have been locked. Most of the country is aware of the Holohan/O'Donoghue case which erupted in public interest due to what went on it court yesterday.

A thread was started on it in After Hours but when I logged this morning only to find the thread locked! I looked for threads on it elsewhere, but couldnt find any. Is there a legal/crime forum?

Locking the thread is clearly over-reaction as it is a subject being discussed up and down Ireland today yet here on a discussion board the topic is banned ?!?! That just does not make sense.

I realise that other people requesed the thread to be locked but that is no reason to lock it. The discussion was barely getting going ...... and is its a complex one there are finer points of legal detail which need to be outlined.

redspider
    Open it in Humanities.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

redspider wrote:

Not if you read the thread. Boards.ie cannot host libelous and baseless statements in such a volatile case, nor should they. The AH thread had desended into madness, people making statements based on nothing and never backing them up; the thread was moving so fast that it was impossible to keep track of the bullshítters and the actual debaters.

Better off locked

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The thread was completely full of accusations and "fiction dressed as faction" and needed locking. Yes there were people who were trying to make decent arguments but they were hugely outweighed by the others. The thread had no purpose in AH. There are many other forums it belonged in. I banned the topic from AH because it makes no sense for me to lock one thread and have a new one started which will go the same way again. Again, the topic can be discussed elsewhere so it's not like I'm telling you not to discuss it, I'm telling you to discuss it in the forums it's meant to be discussed in.

Certain topics do not work well on AH. Soccer is one of them, controversial court cases, like this, are another. People get too worked up and they just become extremely messy very quickly. AH is not the place where anything goes.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I was one of those people who asked for the thread to be closed.

Why ?

It was becoming divided totally between two groups - those who thought the sentence was lenient and those who didn't. Anybody who posted had an opinion that they were going to stick to. There wasn't any debate and there was sweet all hope of anyone changing anyone elses minds.

I was also disturbed by the reckless abandon with which portions of the victims statement were being bandied about and the way they were being adorned with the title "proven fact".

In short I found the thread disturbing and the "point blank" & "dead cert" positions being taken by posters was worrying - as a parent I was uncertain how I would feel if the life of one of my children was taken by another. As a parent I was uncertain how I would feel if one of my children was responsible for the taking of another persons life.

I go back to my point that nothing we say will change the sentence and nothing we say will change the act.

Advertisement