Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

masks for car-fumes

• 25-01-2006 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of a shop that sells some kind of face mask, that would fit under the helmet, to help stop car fumes getting in.
    I often see cyclists with them.

I drive in Dublin every day, and I'm starting to think my breathing is getting worse.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

them paper masks the u see cyclists wearin dont do a whole lot for fumes. Actually are useless. You need to have a proper cartridge type mask with a paper filter for dust, and charcoal filter for gases. Dont think you`d fit it under a lid. Though I have one somewhere, Ill get it out and tell you if it fits.
    You can get both paper ones and cartridge ones in B&Q or woodies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Thanks doc. cant believe proper masks are not freely available!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭scorphonic

wbailey wrote:
    Thanks doc. cant believe proper masks are not freely available!

There is a mask available in any good motorbike store called a Foggy® mask. The main function of this mask is to redirect your expired air but I guess it would also be good to stop those annoying particles getting into your lungs! Anyway whatever way you look at it...a mask isn't going to make things that much better since the fumes from cars isn't going to be stopped that easily!

Anyway, if not for that the mask is ment to be great if you experience annoying fogging helmets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Them Foggys are great, I have one and it really does help stop the visor fogging up.
    However, it is designed to sit over the bridge of your nose to, as you said, direct your breath out instead of up to your visor. I think in the case of fumes, it would only serve to direct the fumes up your nose!

Stick a bandana around your neck/over your mouth and nose and see if that makes a difference... Or get one of them neck warmers. I wear mine over my mouth/nose and it gets filthy on the outside while is grand on the inside. Must be stopping some sort of grime getting through!

L.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Dragstar

Cotter's up in Ballymount have anti-pollution masks in stock. I saw them there last night.

Ph: 01 - 4603807

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

wow thats a might big helmet you have there :)

used to have one of these

http://www.lazerhelmets.com/site/motorcycling/modular_product2006.asp?cid=132&cat=0&item=0

had a breath mask in it that you put a disposable filter in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭wb

Dragstar wrote:
    Cotter's up in Ballymount have anti-pollution masks in stock. I saw them there last night.

Ph: 01 - 4603807

Thanks everyone. Great help as usual.

Dragstar, I think that is what I'm after. I will give them a call. thanks

Advertisement