Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laying laminate floors but floors are uneaven

Options
  • 25-01-2006 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭

I have to lay some laminate flooring in a spare bedroom but having a good look last night the floor is very uneaven. The plywood (i think) floor board has a join running right through the middle of the room. The joint is very uneven .. about 7mm higher at one point.

What is the best way to level this floor for laying laminate? I have tried to apply pressure to see if there is any give on the joint and there doesn't seem to be. Is there a compound that you can buy that can even the floor out?

By the way, I laid about 20sqm of QuickStep Perspective 9.5mm in the sitting room and was very suprised at how nice the finish was, after toying around with the idea of solid or semisolid .. I couldn't be happier.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Is it plywood or chipboard. Chipboard is very dodgy - Often very uneven.
    Jim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

try to remove the plywood flooring to see whats underneath..

they the previous owners may have put down two different sizes hence the uneven matching up or there is an ordinary floorboard or two not down fully ie.. rubble on top of the joists when board was put back down...anyhow better to get the old stuff off..

also a bit of other advice here..do you need or might need in the future an extra socket or two in the room...easier to do it before the laminate goes down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Muckmagnet

[
    What is the best way to level this floor for laying laminate? I have tried to apply pressure to see if there is any give on the joint and there doesn't seem to be. Is there a compound that you can buy that can even the floor out?

you could buy a sheet of 6mm ply and place it down over the thinner floorboards. or buy a 4mm sheet and use floor leveling compond to spread over the board to get that 7mm extra thickness . its buy it by the bag and just add water , its good stuff . you can buy it in any builders providers . Brooks ,Chadwicks, Heitons.........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

it's a new house, and it's plywood.

I reckon the floorleveling compound will be the jobbie, is it difficult to level it out then? or just a case of slop on and spread?

whippet wrote:
    it's a new house, and it's plywood.

I reckon the floorleveling compound will be the jobbie, is it difficult to level it out then? or just a case of slop on and spread?

its handy enough, , if you can get your hands on a flooring trowel (one with notches on the side ) you can do it alot quicker . i think i bought mine for about €15 . if not i'd say any scrapper/spreader would do. From memory i think one 25kg bag covers 10 sq metre's if your spreading it 3mm thick, but i know they do smaller 10kg bags also . wear old clothes , that sh*t gets everywhere .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭whippet

how long does it take to set ?

3 to 4 hours , i just left it overnight . i don't think a 'rapid set' compound is available .

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭charlesanto

New house, with a 7mm step in the floor:(
    I'd be telling the builder about it, i would consider this totally unacceptable - it might be a symptom of something much more serious. I don't mean to be an alarmist but there could be something structurally wrong. Who snagged the house for you, I'd ask them about too.

Advertisement