Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

stay with Quinn direct??

Options
  • 25-01-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

Went with Quinn Direct last year as they were the cheapest by a mile. Coming up to renewal time now again and i got a quote for €1039. This year Britton quoted €1135.
    I was just wondering if given the tales i've read a bit about on boards are true, would i be better off moving to Britton even though the excess on the britton one is €4k???

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

rock and a hard place!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

What do you mean the excess is €4K?

I recommend you take a look at the benefits. For example I changed to FBD this year even though they were a bit dearer then other quotes I go. The reason is I can have unlimited claims without affecting my no claims bonus. I have 5 years NCB now so the last thing I want to do is lose that.

What do you mean the excess is €4K?
    the OP pays out the first €4000 in the event of a claim.

kbannon wrote:
    That's pretty hefty! On most policies the excess is usually a couple of hundred. What company is this?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Price around and get away from Quinn, they suck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

kbannon wrote:

This has come up before, mainly in reference to the insure123 package. Does this €4K also apply to a claim from a 3rd party, or just the insured party?

Surely it is the insurance company's responsibility to pay out the full claim to a 3rd party? I would be rightly pissed off if I had to chase an individual for 4K if they crashed into me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

all it said on the online quote was
    (Policy Excess: €4,000.00 on all sections, including glass - click here for details)

That was getting the quote directly off them. Suppose i should give em a ring and clarify it. Still pretty hefty what ever it is!!

wouldnt mind getting away from quinn but with it still being the lowest and the highest being over €1000 more i mightnt have much choice :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

What exactly is wrong with QD? I'm with them at the moment....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

TmB wrote:
    What exactly is wrong with QD? I'm with them at the moment....

Insert 'Quinn Direct' or 'Quinn' into the search function it should bring up some stories, I've friends in the business and was well warned about them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Did you try Mike Murphy or insure.ie, they used to be best for young male drivers (better policy that Quinn Direct but a little more expensive) or try with Top Quote Direct and FBD.

Also find out who the rest of your family and your house insurance is with. I got a deal because we have everything with FBD.

• Advertisement

How much is your quote with Quinn?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quinn Direct = Ryanair of car insurance.

You get your car insurance. You just may find yourself in more hassle when you actually have an accident though. When I was searching for quotes, I found some site that listed the major insurers, and the benefits offered by each of them with fully comprehensive insurance. From what I remember, Axa and Hibernian offered you the most, and Quinn offered the least.

You may save yourself €100 by going with Quinn, and then you may lose €200 later on in the year for windscreen replacement or a minor bump. Or you may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'm in the process of changing from Quinn myself. I'm getting a better deal from Axa (705 instead of 756) and then there's all the extras. Or standards as the other insurance companies seem to regard them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Foggy, yeah tried insure.ie, they were rediculous. here is what i got off them:
    Alliance : €1796
    Hibernian Broker: €1863
    Axa: €2051

1 year ncb. opel astra 1.4 , 27, male, lisence for 5 years

last year quinn were €1550, this year €1039

eoin_s wrote:
    This has come up before, mainly in reference to the insure123 package. Does this €4K also apply to a claim from a 3rd party, or just the insured party?

Surely it is the insurance company's responsibility to pay out the full claim to a 3rd party? I would be rightly pissed off if I had to chase an individual for 4K if they crashed into me...

Im not sure I understand. The idea is that if they recieve a claim form (from anyone!) then the policyholder pays up to the first €4k of the claim. This is how they manage to keep their quotes low for younger drivers because the driver pays out a fair whack of the claim value.

kbannon wrote:
    Im not sure I understand. The idea is that if they recieve a claim form (from anyone!) then the policyholder pays up to the first €4k of the claim. This is how they manage to keep their quotes low for younger drivers because the driver pays out a fair whack of the claim value.

But that is my problem. Suppose someone with this policy crashes into me and causes 5K worth of damage to me car. I will be given 1K from the insurance company, and is it up to me to get the 4K from the driver? Doesn't sound right to me.

By taking out this policy you are stating that the insurance company will not be responsible for the first €4k.
    If you are in an incident and there is €5Ks worth of damage then the insurance company will (eventually) pay €1k. They don't give a toss about where the other €4k comes from - you look after that. Maybe you could sue for it off the other driver - maybe not!
    if you feel that this type of cover is not for you then don't take it!

eoin_s wrote:
    But that is my problem. Suppose someone with this policy crashes into me and causes 5K worth of damage to me car. I will be given 1K from the insurance company, and is it up to me to get the 4K from the driver? Doesn't sound right to me.
    If you are the aggrieved party, you are entitled to the full amount. You are correct though - if you try to get your insurer to chase it up, they'll only give you €1k.

I googled a document that suggested (based on estimates of course) that the average cost for a road accident in Ireland (in 1989, mind) was IR£18,410 (€23,380). If one was to assume that these figures were remotely like anything today, then insure123.ie would need to have a 16:1 ratio every year of no-claim:claim drivers in order just to break even (i.e. 16 claim-free drivers for every driver who makes a claim).

I'm going to assume that the figures I found (reputable source btw) are a bit off.

kbannon wrote:
    By taking out this policy you are stating that the insurance company will not be responsible for the first €4k.
    If you are in an incident and there is €5Ks worth of damage then the insurance company will (eventually) pay €1k. They don't give a toss about where the other €4k comes from - you look after that. Maybe you could sue for it off the other driver - maybe not!
    if you feel that this type of cover is not for you then don't take it!

What do you mean, "don't take it"? I am not talking about if I have this policy, my example is if I am crashed into someone with this policy. Why should I have sue the driver for 4K if they don't have the cash? At least if the other driver was uninsured, then there is a fund to cover my damages but this seems like a very large loophole.

Why don't they just do an excess of €1,000,000 and they would never have to pay out...

eoin_s wrote:
    Why don't they just do an excess of €1,000,000 and they would never have to pay out...
    Legally, when a company agrees to insure you, they are bound by law to honour any valid third-party claims against you (provided that you haven't invalidated your policy). This is irrespective of the payments terms of the insurance policy. So if there is a claim against you for say €10k, and you can't afford to pay the €4k excess, the insurance company will have to pay the full €10k and then chase you for the €4k. The same applies to the €1m excess as you post above. The insurance company would still have to shoulder the liability, and then incur the hassle of chasing you up.

I'm guessing they chose €4k, as it's a substantial, yet generally affordable sum, so they're unlikely to get shafted.

I'm actually surprised that no insurance company has devised a policy whereby you pay them a minimal amount (say €100 per year), but in the event of a claim, you "borrow" the money from the insurance company to cover the cost, and pay it back at some slightly inflated APR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

How old are you? What CC is your car?

I got a quote of €1,800 from Quinn Direct for a 1.4L Opel Tigra. I rang around and found that Tesco gave me the best offer of €1,150 third party. I sent Brittoninsurance an e-mail and told them the quote I was getting. They gave me a quote of €1,011! All i have to do is the Ignition thingy from Hibernian, which is free anyway.

That's a saving of €800! Plus, I have full licence < 1year, 0years NCB..

As long as your car is less than 1,600CC and you got your Full Licence within the last five years, you can apply for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Check out Cornmarket

The girl friend has her insurance with them and but the policy is a hibernian policy and cornmarket was able to quote a cheaper price than hibernian. I dont understand that myself but it was substantially cheaper.

03 Astra 21 yr 2yr NCB fully comp insurance 700 yoyos.

Not nad going but she did have to do that Ignition course first.

seamus wrote:
    I'm actually surprised that no insurance company has devised a policy whereby you pay them a minimal amount (say €100 per year), but in the event of a claim, you "borrow" the money from the insurance company to cover the cost, and pay it back at some slightly inflated APR.

That's a good idea but I can't see any insurance companies going for it. From all insurance companies combined the premium income was €1.5 billion in 2004. Can you imagine the profits they make from investing that money?!!

eoin_s wrote:
    What do you mean, "don't take it"? I am not talking about if I have this policy, my example is if I am crashed into someone with this policy. Why should I have sue the driver for 4K if they don't have the cash? At least if the other driver was uninsured, then there is a fund to cover my damages but this seems like a very large loophole.

if you crashed into someone (lets assume you are 100% at fault) then your insurance company will pay out and then recover the excess amount from you.
    If someone crashed into you (lets assume they are 100% at fault) then their insurance company will pay out and then recover the excess amount from them.

For example if I had a €4k excess and I crashed into you (entirely my own fault) then you would recieve the full 'value' of your car (value is in quotes as this may not be the amount that you might expect but we are not really discussing that here). The fact that I have to pay the first 4k is irrelevant to you. You just recieve a cheque for the 'value' from my insurance company and will go through the whole episode without knowing anything about my excess - do you really care? - you just want your money!

kbannon wrote:
    if you crashed into someone (lets assume you are 100% at fault) then your insurance company will pay out and then recover anything after the excess amount from you.
    If someone crashed into you (lets assume they are 100% at fault) then their insurance company will pay out and then recover anything after the excess amount from them.

For example if I had a €4k excess and I crashed into you (entirely my own fault) then you would recieve the full 'value' of your car (value is in quotes as this may not be the amount that you might expect but we are not really discussing that here). The fact that I have to pay the first 4k is irrelevant to you. You just recieve a cheque for the 'value' from my insurance company and will go through the whole episode without knowing anything about my excess - do you really care? - you just want your money!

But supposing you don't have the 4K handy, which I would say a lot of people don't - whose responsibility is it to get that 4K? Is it up to your insurance company to pay it to me, and then reclaim it from you - or is it up to me to get the 4K off you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Surely its up to the insurance company to chase outstanding monies not the agrieved party.

Mike.

read my post again

As the policyholder entered into a contract with the ins. co. and if the policyholder reneges on the contract by not paying the excess then they will find themselves in court facing the legal might of the ins. co. without a leg to stand on.
    Whether or not they can pay the 44k is irrelevant. The same argument could be made about a €100 excess.

kbannon wrote:
    read my post again

As the policyholder entered into a contract with the ins. co. and if the policyholder reneges on the contract by not paying the excess then they will find themselves in court facing the legal might of the ins. co. without a leg to stand on.
    Whether or not they can pay the 44k is irrelevant. The same argument could be made about a €100 excess.

I read your post again, and I don't think it answers my question. Your post that I have quoted above implies that your insurance company has to pay me the full amount, and then get the 4K excess from you - but that was not clear in either of your posts.

Fair enough.
    i also edited a typo in my earlier post...
    kbannon wrote:
    if you crashed into someone (lets assume you are 100% at fault) then your insurance company will pay out and then recover the excess amount from you.
    If someone crashed into you (lets assume they are 100% at fault) then their insurance company will pay out and then recover the excess amount from them.

• Advertisement

kbannon wrote:
    Fair enough.
    i also edited a typo in my earlier post...

I re-read the wrong post it seems, you did indeed answer my question earlier :)

Advertisement