Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Blackburn (will include scores)

• 25-01-2006 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭

Big match tonight. United are supposed to be facing a midfield crisis:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=356222&cc=5739

Apparently, Fergie is going to be forced into one of three options, with injuries to John O'Shea, Paul Scholes and Alan Smith:

1. play Louis Saha in attack and drop Wayne Rooney back
    2. hand Ole Gunnar Solskjaer a starting berth despite his clear lack of match fitness
    3. hand £7million defender Nemanja Vidic his debut and press Rio Ferdinand into midfield.

I still think Smith could be back for the game and won't believe anything about United'e line-up until the game begins. After all, in the last leg there were widespread reports that Fergie was going to field a weakened team.

Blackburn are on a good run and I really fancy them to put it up to United. I'm disappointed that Dickov is missing because I feel he and Bellamy could have really annoyed the United backline but hopefully Kuqi has a better game than he did in the first leg.

Blackburn lined out in a 4-4-2 on Saturday. The midfield consisted of Reid, Tugay, Savage and Pedersen. Not sure about this tonight though. I'd like to get Reid, Savage and Tugay into the same team but the only way to do this is by playing Reid wide right, where he keeps drifting inside and isn't near as effective as he is in a central role.

I guess it's up to Hughes to decide but well done to Wigan last night - that's one win for the underdogs, hopefully there'll be another tonight.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Short of some fluke moment I expect Blackburn to shade this mainly due to the lack of options midfield which as you suggest will force Fergie to shuffle the pack.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Surely the best option for man u is to push Rio into a central midfield role and play Vidic at the back. After all they did pay £7m for him so it might be worth giving the man a game.

I expect this to be a good match and with the problems Man U have at the moment Blackburn will really give them a game. Blackburn have to score so it will be interesting to see how they line up. Pederson is obviously the danger man having scored 3 times against Utd already this season.

I hope Blackburn can do it, im a sucker for the underdogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I'm goin with a 2-1 win for Man Utd, as for playing Rio Ferdinand in Midfield i have my doubts but then again who knows, I'm not a big fan of changing the team around to that degree but hopefully it might work!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I expect to see Smith line out, apparently he is near fit.

If not, I expect to see a midfield of Fletcher and Giggs.
    With wingers Richardson and Rooney, or perhaps Richardson and Evra, who can play at left wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah i could definiteley see evra getting a game down the left. his final pass was a bit poor against the pool but he was very eager to get forward. im sure his end ball will imrove. but as stated above ill believe the team sheet when i see it.

fergie was saying they were thinking of starting three up front against the pool and that they had practised it in training. so that is also a possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35 wrote:
    Surely the best option for man u is to push Rio into a central midfield role and play Vidic at the back. After all they did pay £7m for him so it might be worth giving the man a game.

I expect this to be a good match and with the problems Man U have at the moment Blackburn will really give them a game. Blackburn have to score so it will be interesting to see how they line up. Pederson is obviously the danger man having scored 3 times against Utd already this season.

I hope Blackburn can do it, im a sucker for the underdogs.

I think Bellamy could be the danger tonight. He missed Saturday's game against Newcastle and should be fit and eager. Other than that, Reid is a threat from central midfield and Kuqi can prove hard to defend against for any team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Did Rio not start playing as a centre mid or have I got that completely wrong ? If so then I am sure he will at least be able to hold his own there, will also give vidic a chance to get a run out. I do not think Sir A really needs this comp so it would be the perfect opportunity to try something new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Rio played midfield against Burton Albion but only after united had 2 goals in the bag. I think its something he'd like to experiment with but this is a must win game lets not pretend. Not only because united need silverware but also because Mark Hughes has Ferguson well and truely sussed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I mean started playing in his career as a centre mid player. Again I could be wrong, if he can do it and as I do not think this is a must win, why not give it a go again.

Well he doesn't have many options so you could be right. Even though it was only Burton I thought he looked quite good in midfield.

• Advertisement

Gegerty wrote:
    Well he doesn't have many options so you could be right. Even though it was only doncaster I thought he looked quite good in midfield.

I think you mean Burton Albion.

:) Sorry yea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I just hope he doesnt start playing Rooney wide on the left again. He is far more effective playing in behind RVN or Saha. I personally would like to see ferdinand in the middle of the park. He can definately pass the ball and is a good reader of the game when he doesnt dose off to sleep. He could get the ball off the back four and is normally not afraid of a pass not like o shea or fletcher who fumble and Sh*t themselves with the ball at their feet. Ferdi into midfield could hopefully mean an introduction for vidic.

I hope United will seize the chance of getting into a cup final tonight. I expect a close game much the same as the ewood pk match. In that game i thought United had just a little bit too much for Blackburn and were unlucky not to win it in the end. I expect blackburn to play the same physical, relentless game as last time as they do have to score at least one and i hope somebody mlls robby savage out of it!

prediction: Man U 2-0 (hopefully!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

Rio played midfield against Burton Albion but only after united had 2 goals in the bag.
    From what i remember he did indeed start as a midfielder which is why he looks comfortable with the ball when going forward in the opponents half.

I wouldnt be surprised to see Richardson, Fletcher, Smith and maybe solskjaer on the right (solskjaer might not last a full game tho). Solskjaer may be switched with Rooney and Saha up front with Nist.
    Looking forward to what he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Blackburn to win it 2-0, form team at the mo.

Utd are struggling, Fletcher will prob start with Ollie coming on as sub. BB are the team in form at teh moment and with the exception of Dickov and Bentley ManU will have the pleasure of the full on Blackburn tonite. :D

+We actually have a Midfield in Savage, Tugay, Morten and Reid (and/or Emerton) :D:D

Think Kuqi will get on the scoresheet tonite.

I just hope he doesnt start playing Rooney wide on the left again. He is far more effective playing in behind RVN or Saha. I personally would like to see ferdinand in the middle of the park. He can definately pass the ball and is a good reader of the game when he doesnt dose off to sleep. He could get the ball off the back four and is normally not afraid of a pass not like o shea or fletcher who fumble and Sh*t themselves with the ball at their feet. Ferdi into midfield could hopefully mean an introduction for vidic.

I hope United will seize the chance of getting into a cup final tonight. I expect a close game much the same as the ewood pk match. In that game i thought United had just a little bit too much for Blackburn and were unlucky not to win it in the end. I expect blackburn to play the same physical, relentless game as last time as they do have to score at least one and i hope somebody mlls robby savage out of it!

prediction: Man U 2-0 (hopefully!!)

If that's the game United want, we'll have no problem bringing on Mokoena. We'll see how hard the so-called tough guys United have like Smith and Rooney are then.

My own hope is for 3-1 to Blackburn. I think that's more wishful thinking than realistic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Lemlin wrote:
    My own hope is for 3-1 to Blackburn. I think that's more wishful thinking than realistic though.

Fantasy more like

Fantasy more like

We'll see ;) Stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Utd by 2,

Shrek and donkey to score on another one of their whirlwind adventures!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Lemlin wrote:
    If that's the game United want, we'll have no problem bringing on Mokoena. We'll see how hard the so-called tough guys United have like Smith and Rooney are then.

No, i'd imagine it will be a tough encounter again. Blackburn in fairness to them are a tough side. I think sparky breathes toughness into his players and United will have to match this first before they try to break then down. 3-1 might be wishful thinking but remember 4-1 v boro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Man Utd
    E Van der Sar, G Neville, R Ferdinand, W Brown, P Evra, W Rooney, D Fletcher, R Giggs, K Richardson, L Saha, R van Nistelrooy

Blackburn
    B Friedel, L Neill, R Nelsen, Z Khizanishvili, M Gray, S Reid, R Savage, K Tugay, M Pedersen, S Kuqi, D Bentley

no sign of bellemy in the line up at all, he must be still out with something

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

A good line out imo,anyone have a stream for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

1-0 to Man U RVN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Assist for Gray? What a woefull touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Ruuuuuuuuuuuuuuud
    Ruud ruud ruud
    Exactly what was needed to settle down an understrength United side. Hopefully Blackburn go for it now and Giggs/Saha/Rooney can hit them on the break

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Lol,im late i guess,was posting my earlier post...nice goal?

Giggsy off already. WTF? Must have picked up a knock. Smithy on

Our midfield is becoming very very worrying, I hope giggsy aint out for long.

• Advertisement

Willem D wrote:
    Our midfield is becoming very very worrying, I hope giggsy aint out for long.
    That it is. Sky said it was a hamstring problem...uh oh

Ah well what can you do.

Steven Reid 1-1

Come on Ruud give us some magic.

Well well what a surprise. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Terrible decision, justice was done.

• Advertisement

Pen to Man U

Ruud misses it wonderful save from keeper

Justice has probably been done with that penalty miss though. A harsh decision IMO...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

thought i'd inquire here..
    i've an ongoing accumulator and the last two matches of it are utd V blackburn and real madrid V real betis.. but i can't find any information about the real madrid match anywhere..
    it's not on sky, not on the bbc website.. where could i find the result of this match?
    incidently, i'm a big fan of spanish and italian football but can't seem to find any decent website giving live results, line-ups etc.. any recommendations?

I think Real Madrid won 1-0 according to the Eurosport website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Real won 1-0, Robinho.

www.livescore.com

• Advertisement

Hey whats happening in the tunnel. Something has started between Ruud and savage.

Go on ruud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Aquos76 wrote:
    Hey whats happening in the tunnel. Something has started between Ruud and savage.
    Robbie Savage getting involved in a Fracas? Never!

Utd. were pretty much cruising until Richardson mistake led to Reid's goal.

The penalty decision was a bit harsh, although I did scream "Penalty" at the screen when the ball hit his hand.

Still think the game is for the taking for Utd.

Jason McAteer has just said its turning in to a cup tie. OMFG lol.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Robbie Savage getting involved in a Fracas? Never!

Looks like something Rio said something to Savage and he has reacted in some sort of way.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a few bookings in the tunnel at halftime. Maybe even a sending off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Anyone think there is a conspiracy by the refs to get Utd and Arsenal in the final? :D That peno decision was an absolute stinker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Penno was very harsh , Kinda glad Ruud didn't score from it. Close game now.

I hate to break it to you but Arsenal are not in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I hope that fast pace that was in the last 15min keeps up.

I wish they showed on TV the bustups like in NFL and NHL. It makes for
    good entertainment :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement