Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man Utd vs Blackburn (will include scores)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭carpothepunk

Davei141 wrote:
    Anyone think there is a conspiracy by the refs to get Utd and Arsenal in the final? :D That peno decision was an absolute stinker.

Looks like it failed then,seeing as Arsenal are out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

[nicK] wrote:
    thought i'd inquire here..
    i've an ongoing accumulator and the last two matches of it are utd V blackburn and real madrid V real betis.. but i can't find any information about the real madrid match anywhere..
    it's not on sky, not on the bbc website.. where could i find the result of this match?
    incidently, i'm a big fan of spanish and italian football but can't seem to find any decent website giving live results, line-ups etc.. any recommendations?

http://www.livescore.com/

real time scores from matches worldwide [excellent site]

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Ref never saw anything so no action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Willem D wrote:
    I hate to break it to you but Arsenal are not in the final.
    No thanks to the ref.:D

Davei141 wrote:
    No thanks to the ref.:D

You basically contradicted yourself there mate,unless youre being sarcastic

If you were,the universal sarcasm detector on these boards is:rolleyes:

Saha 2-1

Excellent stuff

Well, if i said arsenal werent in the final thanks to the ref, id contradict myself, but seeing as i didnt...It was a joke, much like both referee's performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

As much as I hate saying it, that was class from Rooney and Saha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Come on saha.

• Advertisement

QUE SAHA SAHA!WHATEVER WILL BE WILL BE!

beautiful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

nice goal from saha

Consistency Mr Poll, consistency.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Well there we go, looks like Wigan are in Europe this season ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Blackburn are very poor in possetion at times. What was going on for Utd's 2nd? How long did , Kuqi was it?, want to hold onto teh ball. Then just after that they break with a man free on the edge of the UTd box and teh player holds onto it till the free man was marked.

Thats Utd through. Biggest winners here are Wigan. In the UEFA cup next season, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

Come on you reds, I am happy cause we are there and Wigan are 95% percent through to Europe.

FT: Man U 2 Blackburn 1 (3-2)

Man Utd v Wigan Final 26th Feb 2005

Blackburn only have themselves to blame, gave the ball away too often and too cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

very disappointing result :( thought we'd have the makings of united tonight, but not to be :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Stekelly wrote:
    How long did , Kuqi was it?, want to hold onto teh ball.
    It was Tugay iirc.

Delighted with the result, for Utd. and Wigan. How much of a hero will Jewel be with his fans!

I was a bit nervous at the end, but Utd. deserved the win, and Fletcher actually had a very good game tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

good mach, good result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Does this mean Wigan are automatically into Europe?

Not a great game tonight, scrappy enough affair but what you'd expect really. Blackburn have become my least favourite team to watch United play, it has tended to be a bogey fixture in recent years. The first 20 minutes or so Blackburn were fairly poor, not looking like the team they've been recently which has seen them go on an 8-game unbeaten run. The first goal came from a bit of fortune (or misfortune from a Blackburn perspective) with Gray knocking it into the path of Van Nistelrooy....it still took a great finish though.
    United have looked a bit more solid defensively in the last month (well, City derby aside) and it took a howler to let Blackburn in. Couldn't deal with a cross, Richardson ends up passing it to Reid who finished well.
    The penalty was very harsh, and I guess justice was done when Ruud unusually missed it. Good save from Friedel.
    I think in the second half, United re-established themselves as the dominant side of the tie. It took two brilliant saves from Brad Friedel to keep Van Nistelrooy out again, but the winner was a goal worthy to win any match in any competition...what a sublime piece of skill from Saha.
    Towards the end Blackburn started getting on top, but there was no real shape up top for them. When they took Kuqi off there was no natural striker left, Pederson was playing through the middle. And although they had a little bit of sustained pressure towards the end, I didn't think they looked too much of a threat. I would have liked to have seen more of Vidic.
    Not all plain sailing though, 2 more injury blows. Haven't heard any updates, but two players in probably our 2 problem positions. Just happy to be in the final though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

it means that if utd. finish in the top 4 that Wigan will be in Europe afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Does this mean Wigan are automatically into Europe?

Yes , Assuming Utd qualify for the CL.

Hobart wrote:
    As much as I hate saying it, that was class from Rooney and Saha.

apart from the fact that Saha sliced it into the opposite corner he was aiming for :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Stekelly wrote:
    apart from the fact that Saha sliced it into the opposite corner he was aiming for :)
    He meant to slice the ball into the opposite corner that he was aiming for... Just to fool Friedel. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Stekelly wrote:

No way that was a top class strike he meant to put it in the opposite corner. He knew Friedel was on form and had to throw him the opposite way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Stekelly wrote:
    Blackburn only have themselves to blame, gave the ball away too often and too cheaply.

well they are partly to blame.

Honestly i havent seen Graham Poll ref a match as badly in my memory.
    If Man U had a peno , then blackburn should of had at least 1 as well.

ONe of the biggest dissapointments of the night was Savage .. he should of stayed in the changing rooms as he was usless all match.
    Missing bellamy ( ignorant plick that he is) was a biggy , as we just didn't have much pace up front if not for reed ...

Ahh well guess it's time to conecertate o nthe league :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

How did Rio do in midfield?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

He was ok. For me Rooney was the most outstanding aspect in this match. He, also, was played out of position and was as involved as he has ever been. The worrrying thing for me is that this kid can only get better and I begining to think that he might be the best footballer I have ever seen (at keast potentially). And I have seen many, incl Pele (on tape), Zico, Maradonna, Cryuff (on tape), Van Basten. But this kid is special, extreemly special.

Overall I thought the game was poor, on both sides. Blackburn were tactically inept and Utd looked and played in a mis-shaped manner, which is understandable. The Blackburn goal once more underlined the frailties in the Manu defence, and a decent team would have beaten them. As an aside wtf is the story with the pitch? It has been in bits for weeks.

edit {and yes the Ref was a complete joke, this is an area the FA are going to have to address, and soon}

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

OT pitch always gets wrecked. I'm not sure if it's the ground staff or the fact that the grass doesn't get enough light, or the particular mix of grass that they are using. I know they laid some kind of porous mat underneath the turf a few years ago to stop it tearing up so much. As you can see it worked :rolleyes: Mind you the fact that they rent it out annually for the Rugby League Grand final and Gaelic football doesn't help either. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Mind you the fact that they rent it out annually for the Rugby League Grand final and Gaelic football doesn't help either. :mad:

Just curious, but what Gaelic Football is on in Old Trafford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Gegerty wrote:
    No way that was a top class strike he meant to put it in the opposite corner. He knew Friedel was on form and had to throw him the opposite way.

i seriously doubt it, it was a miskick for me!

blackburn would have been a lot better if they had have had a decent striker up front, kuqi isnt the kind of striker who can play on his own, and bentley obviously isnt a striker, blackburn were very poor in possession but in that they took too long on the ball, but again i feel thats because dicov and bellamy were not there making runs!

the ref had a terrible game, mark hughes may be in trouble for his comments about him, he said something along the lines of - "referees enjoy celebrity status these days and i think that is dangerous, mr poll thought that 61000 people had come here to see him today" :D

worth a fine or a touchline ban IMO.

as far as i am aware if wigan win the cup they are in europe, but if they dont and united finish in the top four, the other uefa cup place goes to the league.

i dont think its 95% certain that wigan will qualify through the league?? there are a lot of games to go, which is the final third of the season, teams are at their lowest in terms of fitness and for some reason those teams in and around the bottom win a lot more games than they have already won previously :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I don't remember Rio playing in midfield

from what i could see it was Giggs (which Smith came on for), Richardson, fletcher and Rooney in the midlfield...............

Im just wondering what utd are going to do with all the injuries in the midfield, plus smith is now suspended for the lge game next wednesday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

well done fergie and manchester united! another final and more than likely another trophy 4 the club and a winners medal 4 fergie and the lads!
    delighted we over came blackburn with all the injuries we have at the moment. scholes,heinze,giggs,o'shea,fortune all out with injuries and we have lost keane and phil neville. at least ronaldo will be back for the next league game. next season will c us back to our best sure chelsea havent beaten us dis season nor have arsenal or liverpool.

There was some talk about him playing in midfield before the game because he played there against Burton, but he didn't play there last night. In fact, when Vidic came on for RVN at the end Utd. reverted to 5 at the back.
    OT pitch always gets wrecked. I'm not sure if it's the ground staff or the fact that the grass doesn't get enough light, or the particular mix of grass that they are using. I know they laid some kind of porous mat underneath the turf a few years ago to stop it tearing up so much. As you can see it worked Mind you the fact that they rent it out annually for the Rugby League Grand final and Gaelic football doesn't help either.
    It's to do witht the lack of light. Chelsea's ground is the same.

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned that much about the little incident at half time. I didn't see it while watching the match live but saw it on the highlights show.
    The funniest was the 2 ball boys standing at the entrance to the tunnel mock fighting as it was all going off inside. Also, very clever of VDS pushing the camera out of the way so that they couldn't see what was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Disappointing result. More than anything because of the fact that Mr Poll has never heard of consistency. Tell me this, if Zurab's 'handball' was a penalty, why weren't Blackburn awarded one when Rio did the exact same?

United were the better team on the night though and fair play to them. The FA are looking into the tunnel brawl and into Hughes' comments.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=356412&cc=5739

The Football Association will await the report of referee Graham Poll before deciding whether to further investigate a fracas in the players' tunnel during half-time of last night's Carling Cup semi-final between Manchester United and Blackburn.

According to Rovers boss Mark Hughes, Rio Ferdinand 'clipped' Robbie Savage as they left the field, which led to the majority of the other players becoming involved.

Under Law 12, if Poll had seen anything untoward as he returned to the dressing rooms, he could have dealt with it at the time.

Depending on the match report of the Hertfordshire official, the FA could then seek further observations from both clubs, as well as possibly the Police, before deciding if any formal action is necessary.

Rovers boss Mark Hughes last night attempted to defuse the matter, as he explained: 'Rio has gone off the pitch and clipped Robbie.

'Why he has needed to do that I don't know. Obviously, Robbie then went to ask him why he had done that.

'That then led to everybody making sure nothing else happened, which it didn't.'

Hughes, meanwhile, could yet find himself asked to explain his post-match comments. The former United striker was unhappy with a number of incidents which took place in the game, suggesting Poll was enjoying 'celebrity status'.

Hopefully Bellamy will be back soon. We really missed a decent striker last night. I'd take a win over United in the league over last night's result though. I think its important that we keep pressing on.

Doesn't look like Hughes is going to sign anyone and our squad is starting to look a bit threadbare. Still, I suppose he had (and has) a lot of dead wood to get rid of (eg. Lorenzo Amoruso) before he can start bringing in new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

is there any footage online of bellemy and ferdinand fight, didnt see the game at all

dbnavan wrote:
    is there any footage online of bellemy and ferdinand fight, didnt see the game at all
    Huh?

Rio in midfield? Rio in a fight with Bellamy? Where are you all getting this sh1t from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

dbnavan wrote:

Bellamy wasn't even playing. They showed part of the incident on Sky. Ferdinand ran past Savage and said something. I didn't see the clipping which Hughes refers to. Savage then ran after Ferdinand into the tunnel and the rest of the players followed. A camera tried to get a view but it was pushed away.

I have no doubt Mr Poll will find nothing wrong with United though. He wouldn't even book United players for blatant fouls last night, like Van Nistelrooy's tempestuous push on Savage.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Huh?

Rio in midfield? Rio in a fight with Bellamy? Where are you all getting this sh1t from?

Never metioned Rio in midfield! Re the fight.....eh all the papers today, Where have u been!

Apology?

dbnavan wrote:
    Never metioned Rio in midfield! Re the fight.....eh all the papers today, Where have u been!

Apology?
    With regards to Rio being in midfield, check my post further up the page. That remark wasn't aimed at you, I thought my "Where are you all getting this sh1t from" comment would have alluded to that.

Re the fight, check the papers again.

BaZmO* wrote:
    With regards to Rio being in midfield, check my post further up the page. That remark wasn't aimed at you, I thought my "Where are you all getting this sh1t from" comment would have alluded to that.

Re the fight, check the papers again.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006040262,00.html

ROBBIE SAVAGE and Rio Ferdinand sparked a vicious tunnel bust-up at half-time in last night’s Carling Cup semi-final at Old Trafford.

Eye witnesses say all hell broke loose as players clashed on their way back to the dressing rooms.

with regard to you all, point taken.

dbnavan wrote:
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2006040262,00.html

ROBBIE SAVAGE and Rio Ferdinand sparked a vicious tunnel bust-up at half-time in last night’s Carling Cup semi-final at Old Trafford.

Eye witnesses say all hell broke loose as players clashed on their way back to the dressing rooms.

with regard to you all, point taken.

Listen mate, I only started this as a p1ss take and now it's gone too far. Have a look again at your first post and then my reply. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Good win for Man U. United looked a bit disjointed at times but they had enough talent to see them through in the end. I hope they sign somebody before the end of the month. They need someone badly in the centre of mid. One thing United did right was to cut off Pedersen & Reid they didnt really get a look in and Reid spent most of his time chasing after Evra, scoring was the only thing he done in the whole game and even that was a gift from Richardson and a poor attempt at saving the shot from VDS.
    I think Wes Brown has been a class act lately and if he remains fit and in form i'm sure he'll be in or around the england squad for the WC. Blackburn badly miss the speed that Bellamy gives them up front and the tenacity of Dickov who i think would be a good addition to most teams. Kuqi is not up to PL level and so easy for a centre half to mark. Tugay, a player who i always liked is now passed it and was caught in posession for the goal. Savage done nothing for the whole game and got a few deserved thumps for his troubles. As someone said earlier Blackburn are carrying a lot of dead wood with Kuqi being the biggest plank. On the upside i think Nelson and Kizsan(sp) are too really decent defenders. Sparky has a lot of work to do but i'm sure he'll do well with Blackburn. United could do with bringing in a midfielder or 2, Fergie confirmed he is on the look out for one before the january window closes but too be honest i'm not sure who'd fit the bill and with all the talk of getting someone on loan i dont think there's much left in the kitty. De Jong of Ajax?, Graveson? both of these would go for cheap. I'd love to see him buy Tim Cahill Then Diarra or Masherano in the summer.

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:
    Listen mate, I only started this as a p1ss take and now it's gone too far. Have a look again at your first post and then my reply. ;)

~shrugs and fails to see ur humor~ If u think your taking the p1ss, fair enough, still not seeing it. Leave the stage to the professionals.

dbnavan wrote:
    ~shrugs and fails to see ur humor~ If u think your taking the p1ss, fair enough, still not seeing it. Leave the stage to the professionals.
    Ah well, keep reading.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Had to laugh at the two ball boys acting it out beside the tunnel. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭chiller

sour grapes lemin we deserved to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

i seriously doubt it, it was a miskick for me!

I agree, if he caught it right Friedel would probably have saved it!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement