Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car parking question

Options
  • 25-01-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im a UCC student and Im looking for a place to park my car. I have heard that theres a free car park out the Carrigaline straight near the county hall which has a bus running every 15 minutes. Anyone know anything about this?

Also does anyone know of any other place i could park?

Thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

There are two free UCC park and ride car parks.
    One in Dennehy's cross and the other is in Pouladuff. Both have shuttle busses
    running every 20 minutes from 8 a.m. till 6:30. Dennehy's cross is 'park and walk' till 10:30.

The car park near Victoria Cross is a pay one afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Not too familiar with Cork. Where exactly is Dennehys Cross? I think its near Wilton. Also how long would the bus journey into college take?

http://www.ucc.ie/admin/build/site/map/parkAndRideImage.htm

the bus takes about 5 minutes, you can walk it in about 10 minutes.
    I'd usually walk rather than wait for the bus. that's for Dennehy's cross,
    Pouladuff is a good bit further. I've been told you can walk it in about 25 minutes,
    but I reckon that's optimistic.

Thanks for the info. Just one more thing. Do you have to get there very early to get a space. Id usually be up for about 9. Would i get a space easily enough then?

now that I don't know - I haven't used Dennehy's cross in a while - I'm coming in from the east so I use Pouladuff.
    I'd imagine that you'd be ok if you were in the car park before nine, but ...

• Advertisement

ok thanks very much for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

deRanged wrote:
    now that I don't know - I haven't used Dennehy's cross in a while - I'm coming in from the east so I use Pouladuff.
    I'd imagine that you'd be ok if you were in the car park before nine, but ...

Not a chance! Dennehys cross is full soon after 8. If u are any later than 8.20 u wont get a space. Not a chance! Pouladuff fills soon after 9. There is free parking on the lee road and up by the gaol (both are 10 - 15 minutes walk from UCC), other than that spend some time exploring all the narrow lanes and streets off college road, some of them do not require discs to park, but they are hard to find.

I would say after that u could always advertise that u are looking for a driveway in someones house to park in. Some student houses have driveways, some students dont have cars. Pay a nominal fee for it and im sure that u could come to some arrangement

Really? Damn, from what i can make out on Google local, the lee road is a 30 minute walk to washington street where my building is. I think the best option is to advertise for a parking space from a student house. Thanks.

EDIT: Where is the Goal by the way?

solice wrote:
    Not a chance! Dennehys cross is full soon after 8. If u are any later than 8.20 u wont get a space. Not a chance!

That's worse than it used to be so. You can park on campus up till half eight, but you need a swipe key for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭morgana

Chumpski wrote:
    Where is the Goal by the way?

The goal is on the other side of the Lee, up the hill (way back across Shaky Bridge and Fitzgeralds Park, about 10 mins walk)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Parking is becoming more and more difficult. The city council has made almost every area around the college disc parking. The university has imposed massive parking fees for visitors and students. The university also charge staff €2 on exit from parking in the staff car parks in Brookfield, Victoria Lodge and the underground in Aras na Laoi. The plan is to bring in the same charge in Aras na Laoi, Geography building and Main Campus car parks.

With the increase in student numbers by 1000 to 15000 this year alot more people are looking for alot less spaces so thats why Dennehys Cross fills up so fast. Also i read in FUCC or some such publication that the student body is expected to be 21000 people strong in 2011. Think of the problems there will be then.

As for the OP, if your building is on Washington St, im assuming u mean the Connolly building. There is disc parking on Dyke parade at the back of the Connolly building. If u dont mind changing the disc every 2 hours that u are there. For evenings that u are in late, they raise the barriers on main campus at 6 in the evening (most eveingings) and anyone can park there for free

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

I go to Pouladuff if i ever have to go up to UCC..have been there for 10.40 usually and there still places about!

they raise the barriers on main campus at 5.15 i thought/seen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

I finished up in UCC in May but I used to use Pouladuff the whole time. I've never been there when there was no spaces. The only problem is the bus, I think it only used to go 3 times an hour and it finishes at 6.30, I think. It's a good 30 mins walk from UCC.
    Dennehy's cross is a nightmare. You have to be in there at least by 7.45 because after, it's all full.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭^whitey^

solice wrote:
    There is free parking on the lee road and up by the gaol (both are 10 - 15 minutes walk from UCC),

Wouldn't park there my buddies car (and the car behind it) got the windows smashed and cars robbed last friday. It happens frequently around there. Unless you park very close to the bridge where the car is near houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Chumpski wrote:
    Thanks for the info. Just one more thing. Do you have to get there very early to get a space. Id usually be up for about 9. Would i get a space easily enough then?

Sorry but not a chance, you need to be in for approx 8.

The barriers don't always go up in the evening either. it depends on night classes and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 limerick2009

Hello
    I was just wondering is there a time limit regarding parking at Dennehy's Cross? It is possible to leave your car overnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Hello
    I was just wondering is there a time limit regarding parking at Dennehy's Cross? It is possible to leave your car overnight?

Wow. Eight year bump.

Impressive.

Advertisement