Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moped stolen

• 25-01-2006 2:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

well, i bought a moped about 7 months ago and all was well until i went over to a friends house last night and it was nicked. Little bastards!! At the time i wasn't to phased to be honest - i thought my insurance would cover theft. unfortunately, when i was choosing my insurance i had a choice between two (and olny two) policies - "3rd party insurance" costing €400 or "fully comprehensive" costing €1100 per yr (bike cost €2100 new). i chose the cheaper - figured that there was no point in paying insurance at the higher rate (€1100) becaude in two years i could have bought another BRAND NEW identical bike.

the way i see it is that i've been doubly f****d: once by the little bastards who stole the bike AND also by the insurance company (i'm more annoyed at the latter).

Aon, along with the other 2 companies which offer moped insurance opperate an oligopoly. they fix the prices between themselves, and purposely don't offer a 3rd party fire and theft.

so, in conclusion: i'm down a new bike,
    my insurance wont cover me - what's the point of it then, i hear you say?
    and i have €3000 loan to pay off (used to buy the bike) now for what amounts to nothing.

sorry for the rant, i'm just venting. it feels good though. i think i'm giong to to sign up to other forums and troll.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I feel your pain. My scooter was nikced during this summer from our back garden. Luckily I had the fully comp insurance though so wasnt quite as bad, but an excess of 250 on a vechicle that only costs 2000 is a bit much I thought as that took a big chunk out of what they paied me back. My fully comp is only around the 300 mark I think though with aon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

that doesn't sound too bad, to be honest. however, as i only had a provisional, fully comp was €1100. no way i could pay that.

a jihad on Aon. a ****ing jihad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I think it's my being old and that they count having a full car license as if it's a full moped license that brings down the cost of mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It is a bit of a scam. In the UK, a country with proportionally more motorcycles (and presumably then, more thefts), most insurers will offer TPF&T. Here, however they cite theft as the big reason why they won't offer theft insurance outside of Fully Comp. As a matter of course I got myself quoted for a 600cc Bandit in Fulham (kind of a middle-of-the-road area, like palmerstown in terms of danger). I said the bike was worth €8,000 and was only secured by a chain lock.

£600 (around €1000), fully comp, all in including theft. Here I pay €1150 for TPO on a 125cc machine that's locked in a garage at night. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

seamus wrote:
    It is a bit of a scam. In the UK, a country with proportionally more motorcycles (and presumably then, more thefts), most insurers will offer TPF&T. Here, however they cite theft as the big reason why they won't offer theft insurance outside of Fully Comp. As a matter of course I got myself quoted for a 600cc Bandit in Fulham (kind of a middle-of-the-road area, like palmerstown in terms of danger). I said the bike was worth €8,000 and was only secured by a chain lock.

£600 (around €1000), fully comp, all in including theft. Here I pay €1150 for TPO on a 125cc machine that's locked in a garage at night. Ridiculous.

Welcome to Ireland :D Land of a thousand welcomes, rip off insurance and some of the most ignorant people in Europe (excluding the French ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

the way i see it is that i've been doubly f****d: once by the little bastards who stole the bike AND also by the insurance company (i'm more annoyed at the latter).

I will agree bike insurance is mad in Ireland, but you signed and paid for third party only, if you wanted thieft cover either get full comp or third party fire and thieft from Carole Nash. I would never insure a bike on third party only, motorbikes and mopeds are too easily stolen.

pbergin wrote:
    I will agree bike insurance is mad in Ireland, but you signed and paid for third party only, if you wanted thieft cover either get full comp or third party fire and thieft from Carole Nash. I would never insure a bike on third party only, motorbikes and mopeds are too easily stolen.

thanks for that, really know how to chear a guy up :rolleyes:

the funny thing is that no one would quote me 3rd party F and T, including carole nash. as for fully comp it was, at best, costing OVER 50% of the bikes original purchae value per year. wait a minute, that's not funny at all.

a pox on all insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Was your bike locked last night Fanny?

it was indeed - chained to something soild.

i usually have two locks, one for each wheel, but, as it happens, i only had the one last night.

thanks for that, really know how to chear a guy up :rolleyes:

the funny thing is that no one would quote me 3rd party F and T, including carole nash. as for fully comp it was, at best, costing OVER 50% of the bikes original purchae value per year. wait a minute, that's not funny at all.

a pox on all insurance companies.

Sorry didnt mean to offend.
    CN wouldnt quote third part fire and thieft! any idea why?
    I just presumed you could have got tpft and cn, but I must stand corrected, I have tpft with them.
    What brand of chain\lock did you use? usally once you use a good chain (Abus etc) and chain to something solid you bike is fairly safe.

• Advertisement

no problem. i was joking really.

i actually phoned C+N yesterday just to satisfy my curiosity. I'm sure i would have checked this at the time but that was a number of months ago, so i've forgotton in the mean time. anyway, the upshot of the conversation was that the best the could ovver was 3rd party only for €700+ or fully comp. i dread to think what fully comp would have cost - possibly nearer €2000. i've never had any convictions, points, claims, i have perfect health and i'm in my late 20's. though i only have a provisional licence. still, i don't get it.

as for the lock, it wasn't a great one, tbh.

oh well, live and learn, i guess.

the upshot of the conversation was that the best the could ovver was 3rd party only for €700+ or fully comp.

Im sure tpo was the cheapest but why would they not offer tpft?

as for the lock, it wasn't a great one, tbh.

Doh!!! The best value lock Ive seen is a squire SS50 MC4 lock and chain, I think I paid around 150 euro, it recently won best lock and chain in Ride. I got it from a UK site, the cheapest good lock and chain I could find here was around 300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

To solve the theft part of the insurance issue some household insurance policies can cover your moped - since you can get a bicycle worth over 1500 euros insured on it.

And I'm sure the extra amount would be worth it - instead of paying for the fully comp.

Advertisement