Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

18's on passat?

Options
  • 25-01-2006 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

hey all

I've a 2001 passat and am considering 18" rims with 225 40 LP tyres , but understand that it may look silly with the stock suspension.

Can someone explain what's involved with lowering the suspension and associated costs?

I don't really want a "modified" look, just natural.......if that makes sense.

thanks in advance for any help

eas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

my friend had 18's on his bora didint look to bad or affect the ride to much..depends on how much you change the diameter of the wheel..ie you can put 18's on and go to a 40 profile not to much of a change if your moving from 16' with 55 profile tyres...if your gonna lower your car get it done profesionally or you could end up with a real hard ride that will shake your fillings loose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

humm, thanks for that toffeapple, maybe I wouldnt need to lower than?..i'm just going on what someone else told me...I'd like to get to the bottom of it b4 I buy anything tho.

about the 40's - I know it's probably different for every tyre, but I expect a much rougher ride on these...would that be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

yes this would be true..same for 18's much rougher ride

so low profile 18" = very rough ride?

not sure my wife will like that.............:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Some cars can look like there on stilts when alloys are put on due to the huge gap between the archs but i reckon you'l be ok with 18's and it wont sit too high.

You wont necessarily have a rough ride on low profiles,ive 225/35/18's on my car and im happy with it,you tend to feel bumps more and have to watch out for holes but nicer looking wheels make up for that imo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Con_316

18 inch wheels will of course go on a passat. Would be nice to lower it a bit also because it'll improve the stance of the car. It's mainly on smaller cars that 18's and no lowering looks sh1t on, they look like you've jacked it up like a jeep but you could get 18's for a passat from vw an one special edition in germany so there shouldnt be a problem but to avoid the stupid "cheap" look of a car like a passat or audi or avensis that happens a lot when the tinkers get them and put huge wheels on without lowering them, you really should consider lowering it a bit. nothing too drastic just 20 or 30mm

Thanks for the answers folks.

I guess the root of my question is - whats involved wiht lowering the suspention? Would I need to get either springs or coils or spacers or a combination of the three....is this stuff expensive? Is there a lot of work involved in doing the job?

thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

I wouldnt worry about lowering the car for now.Get the wheels and see if your happy with how the car is sitting.

If you want to lower it you have 3 options

1: Just buy lowering springs and fit them to your original shocks. Pro's - cheap option/looks you want - Cons Your shocks will eventually go and the ride may well be crap.

2 Spring and shock package - You'l get your lowered look but at a price!you could be talking 600 - 900 for a package depending on brand ect.These will be a set lowered limit eg 40mm,some packs are damper adjustable.You'l also *shud* have improved handling

3 Coilovers - there basically adjustable in height from like a screw on the shock,You can have it sitting exactly how you want but they cost from 1200 upwards for a decent set and tbh there more suited to fast cars for track use,not irish roads!

You dont need spacers unless you want the wheels to stick out from the body,chancers are you wont be able to that once the car is lowered as the archs would hit the wheel

cool - that's what I was looking for.

I guess I'll do as you suggest, just get the wheels and make a decision about lowering after...

thanks for that

cheers

Advertisement