Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats and goldfish?

Options
  • 25-01-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

hi all, strong possibilty that ill go to the cats and dogs home tomorrow (in australia) and bring home a kitten / cat, we have 3 fish (small goldfish type fish)

whats the craic here? is the cat gonna either tip over the bowl or catch the fish and eat them? or is it just going to ignore them?

thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭popppy

hi beattun, well I think that i would not trust a cat or kitten not to try and get the fish. They will watch it flying round and naturally will try to catch it. I had some goldfish and a cat but kept them apart when i wasn't around. We've since built a pond in the garden and now the fish live happily out there and our cat doesn't go near them. good luck whatever you do !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

If you haven't already, invet in a large rectangular tank rather than a bowl. They have better lids and are too heavy for a cat to knock over. Try and keep the fish out of harms way so the problem doesn't arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

I'll second the tank option. I had a cat before the fish arrived and at first she was fascinated with the fish and kept getting dangerously close to the bowl (even when supervised!) but once we got a heavier tank and kept it on a higher shelf, she began to lose interest, realising that she'd never get at the top of the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Cats and fish don't mix, trust me. I've seen cats sit on top of tanks with their paw in the water and flip out the fish. Make sure there's no gaps the cat can put its paw through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Nala wrote:
    Cats and fish don't mix, trust me. I've seen cats sit on top of tanks with their paw in the water and flip out the fish. Make sure there's no gaps the cat can put its paw through.
    Thats exactly what my cat used to do!! He used to try and stick his paw into the gaps at the back - I still hold him as prime suspect in the death of Stipey the angel fish!! I don't have the tank anymore but when I did have it he'd sit on top of the tank with his head and paws over the edge looking at the fish. He used to stand up and bat the glass too trying to catch them!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

ah ****

thanks guys, ill have to come up with something, hide the bowl or somethin, cos i cant afford to get a different tank just now

thanks for the tips! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

Here is what you do, go and get a large pice of plywood, a big square, find some way of attaching it to the base of the fish bowl,this will prevent the cat from knockinover the bowl, then get some clingfilm or seran wrap or wahtever you guys in oz call the stuff, and an elastic band, pierce loads of wholes in the clingfilam and affix over the bowl using the bands, now kitty can't get their paw into the bowl, i have seen this work successfully in many households.

Skink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

A cat will shread clingfilm in 2 seconds !! Much safer to simply move the bowl to a cat free room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭skink

ok go and try it then, see what happens whent he cat trys to shed the clingfilm, its quite funny, i have seen the method i described work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Rippleman

Interesting to see that in Rome Goldfish bowls have been banned :eek:

Times article here http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-1844070,00.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭BeatTun

thanks for the tips, but i found a solution...

we got a bigger bowl, its about 1.5 ft in diameter, heavy as **** so she cant knock it over, covering the top we have...wait for it....a collander :D

Advertisement