Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless BB range problem in the evenings

• 25-01-2006 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have BT Broadband Plus with a BT Voyager 2100 wireless router which I had been using without any problems since September. Then just before Christmas my wireless range started to shrink to a distance of about 15 centimetres in the evenings. It's fine all day until early evening and when it's connected the signal strength is always excellent as I use the laptop in the same room as the router (it's normally on a desk about 3 metres away). Now I have to take the laptop and sit on the floor beside the router to get wireless access after about 5pm or else connect to it via the ethernet cable - this works fine but it's a bit of a pain not being able to work at my desk.

There aren't any obstructions between the router and the laptop and it's well away from things like the TV and cordless phone, and the layout of the room hasn't changed since I first installed BB, nor has the configuration of my laptop.

I've contacted the BT Voyager helpdesk who suggested I change the frequency, which I did but it hasn't made any difference. My Centrino drivers are up to date, it's definitely not the DSL line as it works fine with the ethernet cable, all the correct lights are on on the router itself and it has the latest firmware.

Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

mmmm first thing I would have done would be to change the channel but looks like you've done that.

Cordless phone is the next issue. I'd switch that off entirely and see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Buzz_Irl

what times does ur neighbour come home at?

it can becuased by them booting up their wireless router

download netstumbler and see if any other wap's are turned on at 5

good luck - its a journey !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭stag39

just a little humour..give the wifi router some carrots tis must be blind when it gets dark!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭Lucious Sweet

I have the same router and pretty much the same problems. One thing I noticed is the signal strength icon on the taskbar on my laptop goes from excellent to no signal if I go online. If I double click the icon, disable radio, then reenable radio it goes back to full strength and will stay full signal strength unless of course I go online :(
    If anyone has any ideas i would appreciate it, coz its pishin me off.

moz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭pauld

not sure if this is any help. but I remember along time ago on here someone saying that a badly fitted (insulated) dimmer light switch can give off interference that can affect wifi connectivity. Obviously not sure if this is what happening in your case - but evening time is the only time you have the problem, is also the time people use their lights at home.

if those in the know say this is a complete load of tosh then I am happy to withdraw the above.

• Advertisement
Advertisement