Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

polished porcelain tiles

• 25-01-2006 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

HAs anyone used polished procelain tiles in a kitchen.
    I am looking at some very pale cream ones which retail at 45 euro per sq yard.
    They look very pretty but wonder about the practicalities of keeping them clean and of them being slippery.
    I am trying to avoid that horrid grey grout effect you see with most floor tiles and so want some tiles which can be buted up close to each other and need minimum grout.
    I have looked at Amtico and it's contempories but it seems vastly overpriced to me.
    So back to the polished porcelain anyone any experinces of it good or bad.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

IMHO a Kitchen is the wrong place for these tiles.
    Yes they are lovely but just think what they woul be like once a little grease or water gets on them?
    The back of an ambulance is not the best place to reflect on the wisdom of tile choice.
    Get grippy ones for the floor especially in the kitchen and bathroom
    We will use them in the bathroom walls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Right Price Tiles have cream ones for €19.99 sq/yard.....

might be worth a look...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

Are they really slippery then?
    This would put me off as I have two littlies who would fall over their own shadow and don't want an ice rink for a kitchen floor however pretty it looks.
    On the price in Right Price Tiles that is half the price I have seen them for anywhere else but is there stuff good quality?
    How can they be so cheap compared to other sellers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Soledad wrote:
    Are they really slippery then?
    This would put me off as I have two littlies who would fall over their own shadow and don't want an ice rink for a kitchen floor however pretty it looks.
    On the price in Right Price Tiles that is half the price I have seen them for anywhere else but is there stuff good quality?

i am getting them fitted monday , so if you are not in a rush will let you know...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Soledad wrote:
    Just collected some italian porcelain tiles from the North a third of the price less than what they would cost me down here. A little bit of shopping around has saved me €600. If you can get the supplier name and type of tile - then a couple of phone calls will get you prices across the border.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Soledad

JHegerty
    I am looking to purchase tiles within the next two weeks so would love to hear how you get on with them.
    Eurorunner we heard this about timber flooring too but when we looked at it in real terms ie. trip to purchase and cost of getting the stuff down here it didn't work out any cheaper.
    Just out of curiosity what retail outlet did you use in the north as if I though I could save that ind of money I would defiantley make further investigations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JH

Hi JHegarty,

We just bought these tiles as well. I would be really interested to know who you got to put them down and how much they are charging? We have contacted a few people but nobobdy has got back to us.

Thanks

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

We have just put down a lovely marble effect porcelain in the kitchen and are delighted with it.
    My brother is a tiler and has done a load of kitchens and no one seems to have any issue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

yop wrote:
    We have just put down a lovely marble effect porcelain in the kitchen and are delighted with it.
    My brother is a tiler and has done a load of kitchens and no one seems to have any issue with it.

We were thinking of getting polished porcelan tiles but were told that they are not suitable if you have small children roaming around as they get very slippery when wel even with water. I agree that they took great but they have very little grip. Apparently you can get non slip polished porcelan but that is beyond my scope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

we did the same as Eurorunner in relation to a large tile purchase - we picked the ones we wanted in TileStyle (Dublin) - total quoted after 25 % discount (including €50 Delivery) - €1900.

I got on the phone and internet - sourced the exact same tile from a place in Belfast - total quoted (including £40 delivery) - €1250 (after currency conversion). - Also they were able to dliver next week whereas TileStyle said 6 week lead time.

We had done all the sales stuff in dublin and just used the quote to give all the details.

Guess which one we went with !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭randombar

I added this to another thread but I'll add it here too if it saves a few bob, working for a client at the moment and I don't know much about tiles but I can't see many places cheaper:

Cheap Polished Porcelain Tiles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 richview14

You should also try www.slipdoctors.ie

We had a problem with porcelain tiles in our kitchen and they came out and treated them.

Good luck

Advertisement