Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 Polo

Options
  • 25-01-2006 4:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi,

Am thinking of buying a 99 polo, 5 door- private sale. Going to check it out tomorrow, what should i be looking out for.

It has has 55,000 on the clock, nct until July 2007 and the timing belt was done 6mths ago.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

make sure the car has power steering, that the panel gaps look even, that you won't have to buy new tyres, and that all electrical items work properly. common sense stuff really

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

colm_mcm wrote:
    make sure the car has power steering, that the panel gaps look even, that you won't have to buy new tyres, and that all electrical items work properly. common sense stuff really

Power steering on a 99 Polo? Very unlikely unless it is the 1.4.

To the OP shop around and compare prices as there are alot of Polos of this age out there for sale at overly inflated prices. The Polo is a grand car but there is nothing special about it to justify paying too much for it.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I had a march 99 1.0 litre polo and it had power steering!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Going to check it out tomorrow, what should i be looking out for.

My advice would be to pay a mechanic a few quid to come along and take a look at it for you, it'd be well worth it in the long-run on the off chance that there's something badly wrong and you miss it on your inspection. :)
    bazz26 wrote:
    Power steering on a 99 Polo? Very unlikely unless it is the 1.4.

I'd be surprised if it didn't have power steering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Power Steering didnt become standard on the Polo until the revamp in OO.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

starn wrote:
    Power Steering didnt become standard on the Polo until the revamp in OO.
    Feck! :eek: Typical VW though!?! Was this the norm across all small cars?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭grasshopper

hiya,

Getting it for €3000 - so reckon that's a good price?? Been told i would need a new set of front tyres but that should be only about €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Getting it for €3000 - so reckon that's a good price??

Yes it is, even for a private sale. Did you have it checked out properly by a mechanic?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

hiya,

Getting it for €3000 - so reckon that's a good price?? Been told i would need a new set of front tyres but that should be only about €100.

Sounds like a realistic price compared to some I have seen. Definately get someone who is competant with cars to give it a good once over before parting with your hard earned notes.

Best of luck with it.

Advertisement