Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone know anything about tyres??

Options
  • 25-01-2006 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

215/40/17 Tyres.

40 to thin for Irish Road.

Now i dont live beside the motor way or Dual Carriageway, mainly secondary roads driving.

Saw a great deal in the UK and they ll ship over here and the tyres come with it.

Would 205/45/17 be a better choice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I have R17/45/205 wheels on my car for the last three years, some of the roads I drive are not exactly perfect but I haven't had any problems so far. You have to watch out though as one bad pot hole will destroy one.

Have a look at the below site. It is very useful and you can calculate the best size for your car so that the car is not offset by the bigger rims and your obometer is not too far off.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Thats great cheers.

I am going to order a set of Dare Lance 17's for my Astra now from Rochford.

€450 inc vat and shipping for the wheels only.

With tyres its €750 inc vat and shipping to Ireland.

That to me seems like a great like.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

In my experience, it depends on your priorities. I wouldn't be happy on much less than 55 aspect ratio on Irish roads, but I drive pretty hard. Sure, a taller tyre will feel a bit "squidgier", but the difference in grip is pretty small and is more than offset IMHO by the advantages of not having to worry as much about hitting surface imperfections/ramps/ridges/craters etc at speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

55 all the way to the next pot-hole ta very much.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Do 215/40/17 have a similar rolling radius to the stock wheel/tyre combo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

Im using 225/35/18 and to be honest i dont find the profile too bad.Id say if i lived in the country the wheels would be ragged from the roads but for city driving there fine.

In saying that i previously had 215/40/17 and got some buckles,i put it down to the alloys being cheap because i never hit and potholes with them

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

eireal wrote:
    Im using 225/35/18 and to be honest i dont find the profile too bad.Id say if i lived in the country the wheels would be ragged from the roads

That's putting it mildly. A deep pothole could easily burst the tyre. Happened to me (255/45/18)
    kbannon wrote:
    Do 215/40/17 have a similar rolling radius to the stock wheel/tyre combo?

Depends on your stock combo. Use this calculator to find out the difference

Advertisement