Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

S- Video ?

• 25-01-2006 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭

I have a DVD player with S-Video nad a TV that takes it,
    I didnt get an S-Video cable with it, just the standard red,yellow and white
    ones (dunno what they are called ) should i get an S-Video cable ?
    is it that much better picture quality or what ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ru

jcf wrote:
    I have a DVD player with S-Video nad a TV that takes it,
    I didnt get an S-Video cable with it, just the standard red,yellow and white
    ones (dunno what they are called ) should i get an S-Video cable ?
    is it that much better picture quality or what ?

You should use a SCART if your DVD palyer and TV both are RGB compatible.
    Otherwise use the S-Video.

Always buy decent cables

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

Ok SCART (is this better then S-Video?) and a decent AMP for the audio yeah ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

SCART can carry RGB,s-video and composite as well as stereo audio and WS flags. SCART in itself is not 'better'.

The best picture from your DVD if it's a recent player is probably progressive component, next to that RGB over SCART if it's available. Not all SCART sockets on TVs accept RGB, nor do all SCART sockets on source equipment produce RGB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

What exactly is S-video lads?I'v seen it on the back of appliances but never tried it out.

And whts the advantage of it when having it on a laptop?

S-video is the most basic type of 'component' video using 2 pairs or wires (as opposed to composite using a single pair). It splits the brightness signal from the colour signal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,006 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Composite is the most basic signal you'll find on equipment these days and it's on almost everything, and generally you'll find it on almost every decent TV.
    S-Video is about 40 times better than composite and it carries a noticeably better picture than composite. If you hook something up by composite and then try S-Video, you will see a huge difference.
    Basic scart is about the same quality as composite, but if your equipment is RGB Scart compatible, it's better quality again than S-Video, it's a very sweet picture.
    Component video is the next step up again and is very very nice. It's found on good quality DVD Players and plasma screen's and LCD's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

To go Further on that, Component, has three wires, Carrying Y Signal (Luminance), Y-B (Luminance - Blue), and Y-R (Luminance - Red) With these three measurements a piece of equipment can work out the Green value.

Hence making it good!

John

To be fair the difference between component and RGB is going to be small if any. Component is used as this is how the video is actualy stored on the DVD, but a conversion to RGB will need to be done somewhere before the picture is displayed on a screen.

However, progressive component is now common, and progressive RGB is not (PC technology excluded), so having equipment connected via component, if the DVD player can output progressive frames is an improvement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's also better to transport picture using component. Well, that's not accurate. But it takes up less space using component.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

hmm,a bit clearer now,have some appliances that use this so will try it out,

Cheers

• Advertisement
Advertisement