Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ice Cube is coming back

• 25-01-2006 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

New album due to be released in June, i just heard "child support" which is off the album and its banging, he has a go at the whole bling bling rap industry and reclaims himself as the father of the "Gangsta ****" i was a big fan of the old Ice Cube so hopefully this signals a return to form.
    Almost 20 years after N.W.A pushed their first musical offerings independently, one of their founding fathers has decided to put major labels in the rearview and go back to his roots.

"What is a record company going to do for me that I can't do for myself? Nothing," Ice Cube said Wednesday night in a New York studio as he treated MTV to some selections off his upcoming LP, Laugh Now Cry Later.

"It's nothing they can offer me to have a major percent of my record. It's really all about ownership at this time. This is not a new page in the game. This an old page. People are caught up in double, triple platinum. That's lovely, but what's double platinum if you not getting double-platinum money? It's all about what you take home to your family at the end of the day if you gonna make this game a profession."

Not only does Cube feel he's going to benefit financially from going back to being an independent artist, he also says it has granted him artistic freedom. The pioneering MC has recorded more than 30 tracks so far even though he doesn't plan on putting out the album until June 6.

"At some point an artist needs to put his money where his mouth is," he said. "Stop looking for the next advance. A record company's schedule sometimes don't coincide with what you need to do as an artist. By me not being on no schedules or deadlines, I made a better record because of that."

A few years ago, Cube told MTV News that he would be signing to Dr. Dre's Aftermath label and putting out music with the Doc. That album never surfaced.

"All that was happening before 50 blew up," Cube explained. "That whole situation, you gotta follow the money in this game. Dre's attention went in [the direction of] the artist that's right now. You can't do nothing but say that was a good business move. I probably would have done the same thing. But for me, I can't wait for nobody, I been in the game too long to wait. It was time to do the record and put it out. I did a whole lot of records without Dre on them. I would love to have him participate, but for the most part, I don't need to wait on nobody right about now."

Some high-profile producers have been making themselves available to Cube such as Lil Jon, Swizz Beatz and Scott Storch. Snoop Dogg appears on two records, Juvenile has one cameo and Cube is also in talks to have a guest spot from the Diplomats' Juelz Santana.

Laugh Now Cry Later finds Cube returning to his role as social commentator on "Guns and Drugs." And with "Child Support," he once again reiterates that he helped start the gangsta-rap thing and that there have been many imitators over the years. "Ain't no other kings in this rap thing/ They siblings, nothing but my children/ One shot, they disappearing."

"It's a metaphor," he said. "Only a few rappers dead or alive can do that record. I feel I put in enough time in the game. I was one of the architects of this style, gangsta rap. It was time to get it off my chest and say what I think."

Cube said the album title is "really the state of everything, it seems like, from all of America to urban America to hip-hop. Everybody is doing a lot of laughing and playing and having fun, but someday you gotta pay. That's really what the album is saying."

Cube says he will not be working on any more films until after his album is released.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Well at least he is not acting. ;)

He might be fresh after the long break,and his beat selection was always pretty good but I have real doubts whether he can keep the energy going throughout a whole album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

nice one, loved ice cube, will be looking forward to the new album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

He always had that old school, authorative sort of rapping. Nice weight to it. The last couple of albums have been duff though so I'm sceptical. Most rappers get **** after they turn 30. Particularly if they're of the gangsta persuasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Puff Puff Pass

Snoops album and dre's album are expected in Q3 2006. Busta's new one produced by dre is already out in the US.

Alot of rumours have been spread about 'Detox' and its release - but coming direct from aftermath and nt some fansite - it WILL be Q3 2006

Im looking forward to snoops too. Its called Blue Carpet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭scuba steve

ya looking forward to detox and snoops one. But back on topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Jay Ru

i don't know fellas. cube hasn't released a good ablum since he stared in the 1st friday movie. dude can't get no acting work since xxx 2 and that other heap of ****e where he took some kids cross america, so i guess he probably thinks he can milk that phat cow that is hip hop once last time. c'mon dre signed him then released him. if he was still hot dre would of held onto him so he could provide some lyrical heat for the detox album.

i think i'll give this one a miss. dre's album is just going to be crazy

here's one of the single's off it. its called next episode 2006 but i think the tittle will change for the album http://www.filefactory.com/get/f.php?f=d8eaf8b766babe19be582824

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

that songs off the Look Out For Detox/Pretox mixtape, been out for a few months, don't think it'll be on the album at all tbh. far too much of an amateur/mixtape feel off it.

Advertisement