Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed for LAN (between two computers for the Sum of All Fears)

Options
  • 25-01-2006 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

I want to set up a LAN between two computers for The Sum of All Fears but don't know how to. I have a crossover cable, is that all I need?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Ethernet cards for each PC, a hub/router and cables between each. As for setting it up, my mate normally handles that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Hercule

If its for a maximum of two computers the simplest system is to buy a 2 way parallel cable. Its set up as a direct cable connection and runs with very high-speed so its suitable for FPS games. You can buy em in most pc shops for about 15 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hercule wrote:
    2 way parallel cable
    Jeebus, that takes me back to the days of Duke3D, and the original C&C... (about 10 or so years ago).
    cayenne wrote:
    I want to set up a LAN between two computers for The Sum of All Fears but don't know how to. I have a crossover cable, is that all I need?
    If both PC's have a network card, plug in the cable to both PC's, and ensure both computers are in the same Workgroup. Then, see if you can see each other in Network Neighbourhood. If you can, one of ye must host the LAN game, whilst the other person joins it.

Good luck, and post any more questions if you want.

Oh, and a crossover cable, iirc, eliminates the need for a hub, etc, as it connects out to in, and in to out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

the_syco wrote:
    a crossover cable, iirc, eliminates the need for a hub, etc, as it connects out to in, and in to out.

spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Eh, would you not need to assign some IP addresses maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Yep Ip addresses.
    Go into the properties of the local area connection on each machine and select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" and hit properties again.

On machine A:
    IP Address: 192.168.0.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0 (Should be filled automatically after typing in IP)
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.2
    Leave DNS blank as you dont need it for a LAN.

On machine B
    IP address 192.168.0.2
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

You may notice that the in each case you just swap the IP of one machine for the default gateway of the other.

That will set the IP settings up for crossover stylee lan.

ipsettings8qx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

AFAIK, Windows XP will assign an IP-address via Automatic IP-address generation, if no DHCP-server is located on the network.

I assume that these are Xp machines the OP is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

2K does it automatically too

TBH a parallel port cable is still much less complicated to setup amd cheaper too Pings of like 1-6 ms are consistent even in new games like SWAT 4

TBH a parallel port cable is still much less complicated to setup and cheaper too Pings of like 1-6 ms are consistent even in new games like SWAT 4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

get thee back to the 90s:p

sure why not just stick with serial instead?

Advertisement