Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB Ripwave

• 25-01-2006 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭

Was thinking of getting this,can anyone who has used it give any pros or cons with regards to it
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭ecodub

I have it - the average speed I got was 28kps about half the speed of a dial up connection. It should not be sold as broadband.

I have now gone back to Broadband over the phone line. The ripwave will be going back - I would NOT recommend it

I live in Dublin 9

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 pastabrown

anyone else got some information on this product, i was thinking about it as were my freinds and would love more info on how poor it is or otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭thenakedchef

ecodub wrote:
    I have it - the average speed I got was 28kps about half the speed of a dial up connection. It should not be sold as broadband.

I have now gone back to Broadband over the phone line. The ripwave will be going back - I would NOT recommend it

I live in Dublin 9
    thanks ecodub,that does sound disappointing,its just i want no fuss wit line rentals ete etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

thanks ecodub,that does sound disappointing,its just i want no fuss wit line rentals ete etc

So get Smart or BT broadband where your line rental is free or greatly reduced and bundled into the broadband package price.

I had ripwave and clearwire, and both were utter cr*p. No end of problems and you couldn't possibly call them 'broadband'. I now have Smart DSL and couldn't be happier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ripwave= avoid (even if god has a gun to your head)

• Advertisement

Sparky-s wrote:
    ripwave= avoid (even if god has a gun to your head)
    cheers etho,ripwave doesnt seem to be holding much support here
    Sparky_s thanks again i guess you had a similar experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I know a girl with it in UCD, get's 2-3 kb/s download, when it's working.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

My mate has Ripwave and the modem just says "searching" on the panel. He rang up, they said they'll reset the modem, all he has to do is turn it off for 10 minutes. When he turned it back on he was still getting "searching" and "limited or no connectivity" message from the connection properties. He rang up again and another lad said just move it around. I actually brought it over to my house and plugged it into my PC but it was still "searching". This is Dublin 2. Any idea what the problem is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Someone should just put up a sticky, "Ripwave is sh*t, so don't even think about it!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Someone should just put up a sticky, "Ripwave is sh*t, so don't even think about it!"

That might be a great diea with a load of links to posts complaining about it then we wouldn't get these thread repeats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I know a guy with it, and i said ah thats meant to be ****e and he was having none of it even showed me and was working as advertised 60K DL, was impressed or was it more surprised as hes not all that close to the mast.

I have breeze which works well for myself 2Mb/2Mb always 1/2 issues but to be expected really (tempting fate :p)

And I'm sorry but now that they have 20000 users well its hardly a case of 20000 people stuck in 12month contracts now is it? People only post about things that dont work out for them in the BB forum 99% of the time. Ive done it myself for the 1/2 issues mentioned above i bitched here but when it works well as it has been i dont go creating threads about it.

What i recomend to the OP is try it out for a month see if it is for you after all there is no min contract.

its a system that if worked properly would be good, but tbh, since its a non line of sight product it will be crap, especially when IBB's sticker is on the side, what ever about it working on other networks that use it abroad once it gets to ireland it knows its on IBB's network and programs itself to do nothing, resulting in the owner breaking it in anger :D
    I done it, i have pics ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭1013

Agreed - speed is generally less than or maybe equal to dial up speeds. If you're happy with those speeds, then it is much better than paying for dial up charges and tying up the phone line. But....!
    My mate has Ripwave and the modem just says "searching" on the panel. He rang up, they said they'll reset the modem, all he has to do is turn it off for 10 minutes. When he turned it back on he was still getting "searching" and "limited or no connectivity" message from the connection properties. He rang up again and another lad said just move it around. I actually brought it over to my house and plugged it into my PC but it was still "searching". This is Dublin 2. Any idea what the problem is?

A regular problem - tech support generally advise to turn off and leave overnight(!) Very often, leaving it off for 30 - 40 mins will help, although I don't know why. Seems to go off searching for a signal, but can't quite get one strong enough. Seems to go walkabouts for something better, but forgets to return. I had mine seek masts 8miles from me, when there are 3 masts within 3 miles. It still didn't work properly.

I know a guy with it, and i said ah thats meant to be ****e and he was having none of it even showed me and was working as advertised 60K DL, was impressed or was it more surprised as hes not all that close to the mast

There you go - close enough to dial up speeds! Adverts I have seen state "...superfast broadband internet access..." I wouldn't call 60K "superfast".:confused:

its a system that if worked properly would be good

True, it has the potential to be a great product, but with a contention ratio of 40:1, you are likely to have slow speeds all the time. Forget VoIP etc. It regularly gives up working as well for no reason. If you have a lot of time and patience to sit waiting for a connection, and don't mind it being slow, then this could be for you. Tech support - and I use the term lightly - will tell you that you are within the contended limits, which means terrible service.

Me? I paid for rental for a few months, so I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks more. But then, I will be changing.

I don't consider it to be broadband - it is mis-leading. There is an issue here of the Trade Descriptions Act I suspect.

For an extra few Euro p/m, there are much better products out there. I would recommend avoiding IBB & RIPwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

1013 wrote:

There you go - close enough to dial up speeds! Adverts I have seen state "...superfast broadband internet access..." I wouldn't call 60K "superfast".:confused:
    I assume they actually meant 60KB/sec, which would be the upper limit for the 512Kb connection. In fairness some people have no problem with ripwave. But these people seem to be a tiny minority.

i think 512k should not be classed as broadband anymore tbh, ok yes the upload speeds are in that region, but most people look at the download side of things, atleast 1mb should be classed as BB as the majority of BB users now are between the 1mb to 6mb region.

Well that was an interesting read,and thanks to all that gave there input and have pretty much helped me decide not to go down that road,cheers everybody;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

in summary, avoid like plague

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I think IBB's default response to any support calls is "I've reset your modem, reboot and try again". It's just to get you off the phone and you spend another 30 mins on hold when it doesn't work. You'll just get píssed off and leave it.

Advertisement