Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a room advice

Options
  • 25-01-2006 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Hi,
    I just bought an apartment and considering renting out a room. Its a double bedroom en suite . What I am looking for is a bit of advice in regard of ground rules I should put down. I have never rented out before and just want to get advice from people who have experience shared accommadation before what kinda problems etc they have run into just general advice. Also if any info what kinda tax you be paying as a landlord much appreciated. I would be hoping for 110-120 a week and half the bills.

Cheers,

Eoghan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Bitsie

well first off i would advise getting a lease drawn up otherwise people will be moving in and out every few months becasue they wont be tied to a lease and also therefore less respect for the house. there is a standard lease you can get done by a solicitor , not too expensive, outlining the usual type of rules.ie. the up-keep of the house, noise levels, rules on people staying over, rent being paid on time etc. I would also preferably look for a proffessional as they are more inclined to have rent regularly each month.
    hope this helps a small bit, although some of it you probably already knew!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭~Leanne~

I rent a room at the moment but theres no lease agreement. As for rules, well there isnt any really, i keep the house tidy, keep noise down and pay my bills and rent at end of every month. Im allowed have friends and bf over whenever i want. Im not allowed smoke in house but i dont mind that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

Definately get a lease. It helps to protect both tenant and landlord. I'm fairly sure you can buy standard ones in stationary shops!
    It generally covers standard things, but some items you might want to look out for/think about - responsibility for looking after the exterior of the house (who cuts the grass etc), procedure for what happens when things go wrong. e.g. if the heating breaks, or the water won't heat up, or the washing machine breaks (assuming its furnished), or the locks on the front door break. How do the tenants contact you about this? How soon can you fix things, etc ,etc.

Check out threshold.ie for your rights and responsibilites (e.g providing a rent book). It will also give you details about the length of notice you have to give before you can evict someone (it depends on how long they've been in the property) and the reasons you can evict someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

Eoghan25 wrote:
    Hi,
    I just bought an apartment and considering renting out a room. Its a double bedroom en suite . What I am looking for is a bit of advice in regard of ground rules I should put down. I have never rented out before and just want to get advice from people who have experience shared accommadation before what kinda problems etc they have run into just general advice. Also if any info what kinda tax you be paying as a landlord much appreciated. I would be hoping for 110-120 a week and half the bills.

Cheers,

Eoghan

First off, if you choose to rent out a room in your home while you are living in it, you are not covered by landlord/tenant legislation. So the lease advice given above is not applicable. You should however draw up a set of terms and conditions so that the person who is renting the room is clear on rights and obligations.

You can have the amount listed above totally tax fee under the rent-a-room scheme. You just need to declare it at the end of the tax year. Details below.

More information here:
    http://oasis.gov.ie/housing/buying_a_house_or_flat/rent_a_room_scheme.html

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Perhaps best to treat them as a lodger, but setting out ground rules.

For the Rent-a-Room scheme there is tax-free limit of about €7,600.

Decide if you want one person or a couple

• Advertisement
Advertisement