Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calvin and Hobbes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I don't have it, but wow, what a fantastic gift. From the pics it does look pretty hefty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭spooydermot

i'd say it's well worth the trouble of lugging in on the plane! There are copies in Ireland I'm not sure what the price difference would be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Calvin & Hobbes books are heavy anyway and that collection looks huge, you might have a bit of a task on your hands lugging that around. Still, a full collection is a fantastic present for anyone.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

That is the greatest thing I have ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

I ordered it today from Easons in Cork for €110, they said it should take around a week to get it. I tried Waterstones as well and they said they might be able to get one from a UK store but they were charging €125 so I stuck with Easons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

That really is the greatest thing I've ever seen! Looks very heavy. Calvin & Hobbes books are perfect travel reading. I always bring graphic novels or collected comic books with me. Light enough to read on the plane without getting too engrossed.

I managed to find it's dimensions on amazon.com. It's something like 12.5x11.4x5ish inches and supposedly weights 22.5 pounds!!! That's one heavy book if the site correct!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭antifyre

Recon, I ordered this for a friend of mine for his 30th last October... (cost me €85 on Play.com, but took 3 weeks to get here!)

It is a HUGE volume, 3 very high quality books, all the strips reprinted on Architecture paper..... it is a great present, well worth the lugging around.(And you might get to crack a laugh out of Customs if they need to put it through the x-ray...just show them the 'smock' strip :D )

Thanks. I saw it on play for something like 50 pounds sterling but it's sold out! Grrr! So easons is my next best bet

I got a phone call from easons today that they can't get the book because it's being reprinted. So ****. It looks like I'll be waiting a while for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Did they give you any indication as to when they'd have it back in stock?

I think I've got some Easons vouchers about somewhere and I can't think of anything better than that to get with it. I had thought it would cost ~€200 in Ireland.

IIRC, there's at least one small change from the original strip in the collected edition though it's nothing major.

Easons said it would be €110 while waterstones said €125 and it's on play.com for £50 sterling the only problem is is that the book is being reprinted so you can't get it anywhere! I'm going to order it for play as soon as they get it back in stock £50 = €75, a lot cheaper than anywhere around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Informagician

My girlfriend bought it for me as a graduation present! I got it in Waterstones. It is the BEST PRESENT EVER! ( a note: it weighs about 10kgs, and needs to be handled carefully ).The illustrations are excellent with vivid colours. There is many years of entertainment in that box! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I am a massive Calvin & Hobbes fan.

Calvin:
    "Get out the time-fracture wickets, Hobbes! We're gonna play Calvinball!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

On Saturday I saw a copy of this in Chapters on Abbey Street Dublin. Not sure of the price but I nearly bought it so it can't be too expensive

Yep. Last Thursday the 21st of September my postman delivered it. All 10 kg! It only cost €70 from amazon.co.uk. And I have to say that it is really really cool! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh man, when I have my credit card back in the black I'm buying this. Calvin and Hobbes is one of the best comics I've ever read. I'm gutted that he seems to have decided against any other comics-form work, though I suppose it'd be tough to follow up something as wildly popular as Calvin & Hobbes...

Advertisement