Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patio decking

Options
  • 25-01-2006 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

We intend to use hard decking for a portion of our back garden. We've heard so much mixed reports, advice etc. Some say it is great but quite a few have mentione (alleged) problems with insects +mice attracted to them and the decking= devastating consequences.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

we got about 180 sq ft of decking put in 4 yrs ago outside our patio door.

No issues with mice at all.

Got it done by Classic decks in Naas. Its not the ribbed wood you see in teh DIY stores but the smooth stuff. Gets a coat of Cuprinol decking stain once a year and brings it up like new.

I'll try and take some pics for you if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Lex Luthor wrote:
    we got about 180 sq ft of decking put in 4 yrs ago outside our patio door.

No issues with mice at all.

Got it done by Classic decks in Naas. Its not the ribbed wood you see in teh DIY stores but the smooth stuff. Gets a coat of Cuprinol decking stain once a year and brings it up like new.

I'll try and take some pics for you if you like.

Thanks. I supopose a few pics would be fine, just to get an idea.

regedit wrote:
    Thanks. I supopose a few pics would be fine, just to get an idea.
    It'll be Sat now before I get the chance with daylight to take them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lex, would you mind me asking what sort of sponds you are talking for that, 3 or 4k euro I would reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭garyh3

Hi Yop,

We had our decking done by Classic Decks about 5 months ago.Very good pricing for the size... for 4.5k you are talking a lot of decking

Our dementions were:
    18ft * 14ft
    14ft * 14ft

Basicall the side of the house.
    Good thick wood and done in a day and a half

I will see if I also have a couple of pics. You will not be dissapointed. As a note if you want to get deck lights after, then get them to screw down a few of the planks rather than just the nails.

Garyh3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Cheers Gary, I have the cables laid for the lights alright.

I would love to see pics if you get a chance.

Did that price include labour? Out of interest had you any work to do before they came and what was the ground like before hand?

Did you price the materials with a possibility to doing it yourself?

yop wrote:
    Lex, would you mind me asking what sort of sponds you are talking for that, 3 or 4k euro I would reckon?
    It was €2200 in 2002. That came with a perimter railing around the exposed section which was about 20ft. Also includes a gate and step down.
    If I get home early enough tonight I'll take some pics before it gets dark.

Hi Yop

The price I paid was 4250.00 euros, and that was for everything (labour and materials)

The decking was for a new house so if you can imagine at the back garden as a big square 50ft by about 60ft with a slight grade away from the house therer was a concerete path next to the house with access from both sides. The rest was just grass. Patio doors on one side and then utility door on the other end.

So, morning they built the frame and + some of the decking planks by the days end. They aslo put down some nylon sheet under all the decking to stop any growth.
    (when they had finished for the day I plummed in the decking junction boxes and power from the house to the boxes.)
    Next day they laid the rest of the planks and built the railings and steps. They finished early afternoon. (3 guys).

I did get a price from 2 friends who do this work. It was basically the same price 1.5k + wood, but they would be using the normal decking (ribbed stuff) which I didnt want.

I went to a local timber merchant and they were looking for 2.5 - 3.5 k for the timber + delivery. (Norwegian pine or spruce I cannot remember), Then I would have to hire a nail gun and a chop saw etc etc + it would have taken me at least 3 w/e or more...

Overall money well spent .... I Think.

Garyh3

Gary, decking is one thing that looks easier than it actually is.
    Your price sounds fair for what you got.

Mine was done in about 6-7hrs.

Wow, the timber on it's own is some price isn't it!!

Thanks for all the info lads, would love to get it done next summer if we can pull some money together

• Advertisement

Some pics from Today of the decking...

Garyh3

garyh3 wrote:

Garyh3

It looks fine.
    Gary, did you have any problem with rodents and insects or is that just a myth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Razcro

Hey,

just adding my two cents,

We got the rippled decking for our house. We havent had any physical problems, but we are replacing the decking for one without the ripples as moisture gathers and the surface becomes very slippy. My mother had a fall a couple of weeks ago and broke her arm in two places while she was taking out the garbage.

I would stay clear of the rippled decking.

Thanks Gary, looks class.

Razcro - That is a great point, someit I have never thought of!

garyh3 wrote:

Garyh3
    Gary, your deck wood is identical to mine and similar railing only you look like you got twice as much as mine...

I liked the colour of the wood when it came first but it soon gets dirty very quickly.

I stained mine to a darker colour and only now happy with the colour choice after trial & error.

Wait till the mould starts growing on it and you gotta get down on your hands & knees to clean it. Putting the stain on will almost stop the mould growth.

Where do you live?

The guys from Classic decks only live about 100yds from me here in Naas.

Razcro wrote:
    Hey,

just adding my two cents,

We got the rippled decking for our house. We havent had any physical problems, but we are replacing the decking for one without the ripples as moisture gathers and the surface becomes very slippy. My mother had a fall a couple of weeks ago and broke her arm in two places while she was taking out the garbage.

I would stay clear of the rippled decking.
    2nd that....my BIL had it and I found it very slippy.

Classic decks only use the smooth wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

My hubby built our deck last sept. it's 33' x 14' pressure treated wood and the materials cost €1530 and we have a fair bit left over to built something at the end of the garden. It's ribbed and we haven't had any problems with it and haven't found it slippy. Maybe being in the sunny south east we have milder weather.

The children have a great time playing out on it.

Regarding vermin we haven't had any. Then again rats and mice are everywhere and you are rarely more than 20' from them.

We are looking forward to the bright evenings and being able to chill out in the near future

I had some sort of rodent under at the fist signs of winter but I could see where it was getting in so I lifted a plank and put some brick behind. Had no problem since.

I live in Navan, nice guys who did the work.....

My daughter lovers the decking ... Im looking to get me a BBQ and patio heater for the summer

Grayh3

Deismum, where did ye buy your? thats seems like a great price.

All

Anyone have any tips to stop mould without staining. Does any of the waterproof oils repel mould as I would like to keep the natural look.... As its South facing I hope that I will not get that much but hey it is Ireland!!

The Deck guys said that I should put decking oil once a year....

regards

Garyh3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Garyh3, I love your decking!! It looks fab.

garyh3 wrote:
    All

Anyone have any tips to stop mould without staining. Does any of the waterproof oils repel mould as I would like to keep the natural look.... As its South facing I hope that I will not get that much but hey it is Ireland!!

The Deck guys said that I should put decking oil once a year....

regards

Garyh3
    Gary, I cleaned it for the first year and put the clear decking oil on it, but the mould still comes back.
    Since then, I used Cuprinol deck stain coloured and although its darker than the original, it doesn't show the dirt and the mould isn't as quick to appear.
    Pics in an hour

Hi Lex

I see what you mean about the same style build. Nice.

knickers.. I should have put a gate on the end instead of a gap .... I like the gate..

I might get a power washer and see if that will keep it clean...

Garyh3

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

if you want to get rid of green just make a weak solution of bleach and water and spray it on with a garden sprayer, it will kill all algae and mould.
    It may need a light scrub with a brush to move it but it will be dead.

regedit wrote:
    Nice decking Lex.
    I might have missed it so could you tell me how much the material and the labour cost you for your decking?
    €2200 for the lot...they supplied everything

Gary, not sure if a power washer direct jet is advisable....but if your power washer can take a brush attachment, then try that.
    Would you not ask them to come back and knock you up a gate? They shouldn't charge you too much for it? They're great for keeping the kids in the garden away from you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

Got the wood from Pierce Fencing just outside Waterford City. They have a very good reputation. Hubby is a carpenter so I leave all that to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Anyone used, or heard of anyone using, scaffolding boards to any great success? I like the idea of wider planks, and thought they'd be cheaper to source (although never properly reserched that!), but had ruled them out in favour of ribbed boards. I had thought the ribbed ones would be less slippy, but this thread obviously disproves that!

• Advertisement

Don't know about that Macy, they are a bit rough and to be truthful I have found that some were slippy when they were wet.

That is really classy Lex, good to see they put a gate on it to keep you quite ;)

Advertisement